United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was feeling bored, and thought I'd get some thoughts on what Wave 30 might include. Do you believe we'll continue to get 2 repaints and 1 new ship? Do you think Wave 30 will draw from the group known as "Wave X"? Or perhaps something else? What do you think will be next for the repaints?

Wave X:
Assimilated Vessel 77139
USS Yosemite
IRW Jolan Tru
Einstein
IKS Klothos
IRW Devoras
Assimilator 84

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will vary over time depending on what miniatures they may have available and their perception of the health of the game and the likelihood of it's continuing.

Putting out a new ship with an existing miniature gives them credit for putting out a new ship and credit for continuing to put out new stuff at all, while reducing their costs as much as possible. Putting out reprints (needed solely because the original ships are no longer in the retail channel) also makes it appear as if there are new ships to buy while keeping costs down. The problem may be that many stores (including my main one) does not apparently order the reprints, or not many of them anyway.

Somewhere in WK there is a guy (or girl) with a spreadsheet with costs and expenses trying to keep STAW alive at minimum cost.

I don't have any inside information, this is just what I think based on watching WK work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im holding out hope for a decent Dominion expansion. Dreadnaught was a let down and Robinsion was disappointing to not get a dual faction ship with some upgrades. They had a second Battleship in heroclix and while that class isnt great in this game, if it had movement or 360 shooting or damage negation upgrades with Female Changling Admiral - I'd buy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of repaints, I imagine that'll depend largely on much demand WK perceives for certain models. Most of the ones they're doing repaints of are high-demand ships that many people were finding really hard to pick up. If that continues to be the case, my guess is that we'll be getting some more reprints.

My own preference would be for more new ships, and I especially want the previously-announced retail Xindi. If I had to wildly speculate, my guess would be that WK had done at least some amount of work (even if very little) on 'Wave X', and so we're likely to see those ships before we get anything completely new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has always been a conflict between what fans might want as far as missing ships (Enterprise C) and what capabilities are NEEDED by various factions to make them viable. There is stuff they could do which wouldn't even need a new ship. Suppose they issued a ruling that "Jem Hadar" in Dominion ship perks and card text includes Cardassians?

Am I the only one who is skeptical that someone at WK is trying to put ships into the commercial (or even prize) ships to help a given faction be viable in some sort of carefully considered fashion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
dprcooke wrote:
My own preference would be for more new ships, and I especially want the previously-announced retail Xindi.

If i remember right i think the Xindi were on the list for late this year, early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Lee
msg tools
If we're talking NEW ships, I wouldn't mind seeing a Runabout. With the introduction of the shuttle rules and the rotating stock they seemed to have on DS9, I'm a little surprised we don't already have one. I'd think spec's along the line of the Delta Flyer. Sorta mid-range between a true shuttle and a proper ship. Maybe the Ganges or Rio Grande.

"It's a good thing Earth has a lot of rivers"--Kira
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nlee04 wrote:
If we're talking NEW ships, I wouldn't mind seeing a Runabout. With the introduction of the shuttle rules and the rotating stock they seemed to have on DS9, I'm a little surprised we don't already have one. I'd think spec's along the line of the Delta Flyer. Sorta mid-range between a true shuttle and a proper ship. Maybe the Ganges or Rio Grande.

"It's a good thing Earth has a lot of rivers"--Kira

I'd like to see Runabouts, even a classic Galileo. Would they be competitive? Probably not, but it would still be kinda fun. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:
Im holding out hope for a decent Dominion expansion. Dreadnaught was a let down and Robinsion was disappointing to not get a dual faction ship with some upgrades. They had a second Battleship in heroclix and while that class isnt great in this game, if it had movement or 360 shooting or damage negation upgrades with Female Changling Admiral - I'd buy that.

I'd buy some Dom ships with Founders. I wonder how a Founder captain would work... could we see some ship hijacking like the Ceti Eel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I think it will vary over time depending on what miniatures they may have available and their perception of the health of the game and the likelihood of it's continuing.

Putting out a new ship with an existing miniature gives them credit for putting out a new ship and credit for continuing to put out new stuff at all, while reducing their costs as much as possible. Putting out reprints (needed solely because the original ships are no longer in the retail channel) also makes it appear as if there are new ships to buy while keeping costs down. The problem may be that many stores (including my main one) does not apparently order the reprints, or not many of them anyway.

Somewhere in WK there is a guy (or girl) with a spreadsheet with costs and expenses trying to keep STAW alive at minimum cost.

I don't have any inside information, this is just what I think based on watching WK work.

Fair enough, though all of Wave X has existing models?

Assimilated Vessel 77139 = Raven
USS Yosemite = USS Pegasus
IRW Jolan Tru = Valdore = Vrax
Einstein = Sakharov
IKS Klothos = Gr'Oth (Though I'm hoping for Amar model, since they fixed glitches)
IRW Devoras = Any D'Derderex
Assimilator 84 = Soong (assuming we don't get a new class of Borg)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowers
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm expecting to see the "Wave X" ships appear in a 2017 blind booster brick for OP events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
RainYupa wrote:
I'm expecting to see the "Wave X" ships appear in a 2017 blind booster brick for OP events.

I would find that unlikely as they is too much variation in the ship types to fit within the 90 + 40 build for blinds. They tend to be all of a similar points value and similar use.

Having a shuttle and a potential Borg type-3 in one set of blinds is a massive difference in type and a great hinderance as typically shuttles need a ship to dock to for maximum effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RainYupa wrote:

Did they announce there is going to be a brick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
RainYupa wrote:

Captain, I'm detecting traces of sarcasm. It may be a false positive, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
RainYupa wrote:

No seriously did they announce there would be a new brick? You can OPs without blind boosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard no word about a new brick, it's why I think he was he was being sarcastic? ^^;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
RainYupa wrote:

No seriously did they announce there would be a new brick? You can OPs without blind boosters.

If they do it will probably be a while before they announce anything. The current brick is for all of 2016, plus WK usually takes Dec/Jan off. So they wouldn't even be released until February at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowers
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
RainYupa wrote:

Ah, no, sorry, not that I'm aware of. The thread is for theories, and that was simply mine.

Mainly because there's a good couple ships I want from Wave X, and I'm simply expecting to have to go brick-diving to get them. :|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of bricks. It's nice to get more ships but putting them out outside the commercial channel creates yet more cards that "some" people can't get which increases (potentially) the advantage that winning OP players (or eBay buyers with enough money) have.

I would rather those ships (or even a commercial pack with all of them) come out through the retail channel. That is if your local shop is still buying STAW ships.

If you consider bricks ONLY from the OP standpoint (as throwaways) then they should all be even in terms of what they bring to the game (and this hasn't been the case in the past).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
i think it would be cool to have a Vadwaar ship even if it has to be one from Star Trek Online
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RainYupa wrote:
Ah, no, sorry, not that I'm aware of. The thread is for theories, and that was simply mine.

Mainly because there's a good couple ships I want from Wave X, and I'm simply expecting to have to go brick-diving to get them. :|

Fair enough, though the question is more what will be in Retail Wave 30. It's a possibility that a couple of Wave X's may show up in a future booster, who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there's been no word as of yet? Hmm. I wonder when WizKids will release such info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
does anyone know when we will get a Galaxy-X class dreadnought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's likely. You can use mine in variants though! And there is a kit on Shapeways you can use to mod the WK Galaxy. It looks awesome. Hope I'm wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly would use it. ^^ Even for solely casual play, it'd be fun to field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.