Subject: Heavy Christmas Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer heavier (depth not complexity) games and I also really like the Christmas season. Unfortunately, it seems very few (if any) Christmas games have any weight to them at all.

Carcassonne: Winter Edition and Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries seem to be the only vaguely seasonal products that wouldn't blow away in a light breeze.

So, please tell me I'm overlooking a towering bounty of ludic Yuletide treasures and what they are, please. (And no, mini-expansions like that one race for Eclipse don't really count)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wacht am Rhein or similar wargames of yule tide battles probably do not appeal to you, though I did like playing them during the season back in the day. Since there are really no heavier games that have a Christmas theme per se, how about a heavier train game, like 18xx or similar? Trains always recreate the Christmas season feel for me.

Or what about A.D. 30
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MURPHY
United States
LITTLETON
CO
flag msg tools
mb
"Race to the North Pole" - Not strictly X-Mas themed, but you could pretend to be racing to Santa's workshop...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Expedition: Northwest Passage, not really a Christmas game, but you can get your ship stuck in the polar regions during the winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no heavy Christmas games that I know of. There are some card games out there with a Christmas theme that, while nowhere near approaching heavy, they do require some thought:

12 Days: Combines a trick taking element with set collection. Was originally a Cheapass game but upgraded version with much better card art were produced by Calliope and Gamesmith.

12 Days of Christmas: A ladder climbing card game

Secret Santa: Another ladder climbing card game

Love Letter: I saw where you have Love Letter and rate it fairly well and this is Christmas-themed version of that

Snow Tails / Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2: more of a Winter theme as opposed to a Christmas theme but there's lots of snow and sleds and fir trees...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
I prefer heavier (depth not complexity) games and I also really like the Christmas season. Unfortunately, it seems very few (if any) Christmas games have any weight to them at all.

Carcassonne: Winter Edition and Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries seem to be the only vaguely seasonal products that wouldn't blow away in a light breeze.

So, please tell me I'm overlooking a towering bounty of ludic Yuletide treasures and what they are, please. (And no, mini-expansions like that one race for Eclipse don't really count)

Unfortunately, I think you hit the only two games that I can think of that meet your requirements. There is the "Letters to Santa" re-theme of Love Letter, mentioned above, but that's about it.

What we need is someone to put out a re-theme of Le Havre based on the movie Arthur Christmas. Instead of a wooden ship, you get to build "Eve," then progress on to the S-1! I'm telling you, this could work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
There is the "Letters to Santa" re-theme of Love Letter, mentioned above, but that's about it.

Skimming through the thread, my eyes caught the words "Letters to Santa" and I instantly imagined a re-skin of Letters from Whitechapel where children on the naughty list are hunting down Santa to steal everyone else's presents.

Not sure where that came from...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Santa's Bag . We are talking adults, teenage and younger in our family it always gets us laughing and in a Christmas mood. Its not a heavy game but it is easy to pick up, fun and quick playing (15 minutes to 20 minutes tops). I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of thin re-themes are possible, I'd think. Pandemic but with Lack of Christmas Spirit spreading. Factory Fun as Santa's workshop(s). Codenames: Holiday Mini Expansion Pack containing holiday nouns. Saboteur but with a sleigh ride to hooville (and secret Grinches, naturally). A snowy Agricola: ACBaS with reindeers and penguins and what have you. Snowierdonia. Mr Jack with Santa trying to blend in in the big city. Twilight Struggle as... wait, maybe not.

In any event, I'm still a bit surprised that apparently no market exists for this -- either an original game or a thin re-theme. I imagine producers have evaluated it and determined that the added Christmas bump wouldn't offset the seasonality of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I prefer heavier (depth not complexity) games and I also really like the Christmas season

Paint the black stones red in a Go set and play that.

Instant Christmas-themed Go set. Low on complexity, heavy in depth. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
In any event, I'm still a bit surprised that apparently no market exists for this

I'm not. I'm having a hard time seeing a lot of people shelling out €80 for a Christmas-themed Caverna…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
UanarchyK wrote:
In any event, I'm still a bit surprised that apparently no market exists for this

I'm not. I'm having a hard time seeing a lot of people shelling out €80 for a Christmas-themed Caverna…

That would be an insta-buy for me!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
Carcassonne: Winter Edition and Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries seem to be the only vaguely seasonal products...

If you're looking for a winter-themed game in the end, check this: Freakin' cold: Games that make you freeze
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
UanarchyK wrote:
Carcassonne: Winter Edition and Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries seem to be the only vaguely seasonal products...

If you're looking for a winter-themed game in the end, check this: Freakin' cold: Games that make you freeze

There have been a few geeklists like that (I even made one myself), but I would argue that not all winter games have a Christmas feel, and not all Christmas games are necessarily snowy. Most of the games on that geeklist would not embiggen my yuletide spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
UanarchyK wrote:

That would be an insta-buy for me!!

Honestly, that's probably about the only way you'd get me to purchase Caverna...

That said, most games also don't come in at the high price point that Caverna commands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
There have been a few geeklists like that (I even made one myself)...

Which one is that?

UanarchyK wrote:
Most of the games on that geeklist would not embiggen my yuletide spirit.

Sure. The arctic and mountain games won't do that for me either.

Dead of Winter would work. Imagine it's just a snow storm during Christmas and the Zombies are deamons like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Christian_Alpine_tradition...

Another thing, you've certainly done already is browsing through Holidays: Christmas and sorting it by weight. (Which will give you Munchkin Santa's Revenge on 4th place.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
UanarchyK wrote:
There have been a few geeklists like that (I even made one myself)...

Which one is that?

This one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game count?? It's set in Winter and you can even play as a Mall Santa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
Dead of Winter would work. Imagine it's just a snow storm during Christmas and the Zombies are deamons like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Christian_Alpine_tradition...

"yuletide spirit" indeed laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
This sounds like a project for FF. Hell, color-wise, the game will already be halfway there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.