Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Basically typed up this session report in theWhat did you play this week geeklist so I figured I'd cross post here. Games played used all currently released expansions, although no one played the wizard.

Played a team game with four players. One player and myself had played one game before, but it was meant months ago. The other two had never played. I must say that this one is harder to teach than it is to play. It has a lot of CCG feel to it, but with miniatures and positioning on top, so there are a lot of keywords to explain. The cards themselves do a good job of explaining the more esoteric terms that are unique to certain masters or kamis, but it still seems like a lot to teach until the first turn, then everything starts to click.

Teams were Mulan/Tortoise and Yuki/Yeti vs. Lu Bu/Akkorokamui and Rosamu/Foo Dog. Mulan did a good job of getting bleeds out, while Yuki made some ice to bottleneck the battle field. Lu Bu shocked both opposing masters, then ran away. We did not persue Lu Bu. Rosamu was zoned out of the first half of the battle, but eventually got in and started doing attack chains. Finally at the end, Yuki was about to perform a death blow on Lu Bu, when Lu Bu started blowing up her ice with his page 8 imprint and killed her instead. Then Rosamu finished off Mulan just before he bled out. Close game, and the Lu Bu/Rosamu team almost forfeited the round before they won.

The next night we played another team game of Yashima, since it had been somewhat of a hit the night before. One player from the night before really enjoyed it and wanted to try again, while the others had heard stories from the Lu Bu that almost forfeited victory. At this point I had played twice before, one player had played once, and we had two new players again.

Teams this time were Mulan/Tortoise and Mitsuo/Yeti vs. Toru/Tiger and Kenta/Dragon. Mulan was not getting nearly as lucky with bleeds this time, while the player of Mitsuo was a new player that felt very overwhelmed. Mitsuo did land some good hits and tome abilities, but struggled to keep track of all the details of the game. Toru stayed back, planting seeds for a couple turns and eventually building a box of trees around where the final battle would take place. Kenta, on the other hand, rushed in and hit as many things as hard as he could, while using dodge to keep himself from getting destroyed by the combined assaults of Mulan and Mitsuo. It couldn't last and Kenta was downed, but had bought time for Toru to get some imprints in his deck. Ironically, almost all of the damage Kenta took was from tome abilities, ripostes, and dodging while in combat and he never applied rancor. Kenta restored, Toru's seeds finished off Mitsuo with an imprint during the initiative phase, and Mulan could not survive a full round of two-on-one combat, while mending vines kept Toru too healthy to be taken down by Mulan.

Glad to finally get in some more plays of this, and that it is being some traction with my group. We still have a lot of game to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome write-up JT. It's always fun to hear the outcomes of different matches! Just a side-note, it might be worthwhile to have players who are apt to be overwhelmed to try running Hikaru until they have a better grasp of the dynamics of the game. Out of the starting core characters, her strategies are the most straightforward we've found for teaching.

Looking forward to seeing more, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Josh and I frequent the boards often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had warned him that Mitsuo was a bit more complicated but he wanted that monkey. He feels the game is well designed but has too many moving parts for him. He said the same about Terra Mystica, for what it is worth.

Out of three four-player games, no one has played Hikaru yet. Hikaru(boring), Dokubaba(hurts herself), Musashi(?), and Bruce Lee(no mini) have not been played yet. Maybe that should be our next matchup.

I did post a question about combat movement in the forums, but my bigger question is about the future of Yashima: are there going to be more expansions coming still?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
I had warned him that Mitsuo was a bit more complicated but he wanted that monkey. He feels the game is well designed but has too many moving parts for him. He said the same about Terra Mystica, for what it is worth.
Having taught the game hundreds of times, I use a few phrases to help teach the game. I think you're right in saying that it is hard to teach, but easy to play.
* No single mechanic in the game is complicated, there are just a lot of little moving parts, cogs in the great machine. Just jump in, and make mistakes during your first game.
* Use it or lose it! Spend that karma to get it back!
* You're only doing two things - Tome Action and Combat Action. So think about your turn before it comes up. If playing a multiplayer game, someone on the far side of the map's turn is unlikely to effect yours.

crinaya wrote:
I did post a question about combat movement in the forums, but my bigger question is about the future of Yashima: are there going to be more expansions coming still?
I answered your question. That is a great question for Greenbrier Games. We've heard musings of future expansions, so I've been working on them. Right now I'm playtesting 4 new masters and 2 new kami.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Future expansions will be determined by Greenbrier Games, but I know there have been talks about them as well as event/organized play type scenarios.

Hikaru is straightforward, but honestly is still one of the characters I personally play frequently. She has avenues to provide consistent damage that is difficult to mitigate.

Dokubaba also can be quite deadly. Yes, she damages herself, but there are many powerful cards in her tome that can build quite potent combinations.

Josh could comment better on Musashi and Bruce Lee --both are more technical masters. While designing, we tried to make each master fit different player-styles so you'll see varying levels of complexity based on the character.

Glad to hear your group is having fun with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LoreChase wrote:
Josh could comment better on Musashi and Bruce Lee --both are more technical masters. While designing, we tried to make each master fit different player-styles so you'll see varying levels of complexity based on the character.

Musashi is fast, he doesn't have any ranged attacks, but has very good attack patterns on his attacks and can pay a WIND status token to perform one free attack each turn. His tome works well to keep him in attack range and has enough tricks to make him one of the best close range masters in the game. Musashi loves the quick surprise attacks!

Bruce Lee is a bit trickier to play, because he requires a bit of taunting politics and good timing to perform best. His shtick is to build up his hand size, and punish attackers with his counter-attacks. If they are too afraid to attack him, his arsenal of tome effects will help him win. If you don't have counters, bluffing still works well as the threat could be there! Head games are fun with Bruce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that development continues, hoping to have a use for those trap tokens someday. Speaking of tokens, I think that is why people are picking masters at this point. Plant tokens look cool, so Toru keeps getting picked. Saru looks cool, so Mitsuo keeps getting picked.

I appreciate the insights into those remaining masters, should make them easier to sell, so to speak.

If you ever run out of ideas, I'm pretty sure I could offer up some master or kami ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
Glad to hear that development continues, hoping to have a use for those trap tokens someday.

If you ever run out of ideas, I'm pretty sure I could offer up some master or kami ideas.
Next expansion would be the Desert theme, which will include a master that uses TRAP tokens...

I always welcome and encourage new ideas! I think we had another thread started at some point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
Glad to hear that development continues, hoping to have a use for those trap tokens someday. Speaking of tokens, I think that is why people are picking masters at this point. Plant tokens look cool, so Toru keeps getting picked. Saru looks cool, so Mitsuo keeps getting picked.

I appreciate the insights into those remaining masters, should make them easier to sell, so to speak.

I love Toru, but I can't use the 3d plant tokens, they are too fiddly. Masters need to be able to stand on the space where the plant token is. It is also nice to just flip the cardboard from seed to plant, instead of swapping them out completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
crinaya wrote:

I love Toru, but I can't use the 3d plant tokens, they are too fiddly. Masters need to be able to stand on the space where the plant token is. It is also nice to just flip the cardboard from seed to plant, instead of swapping them out completely.

Yeah, we had the same issue and had to switch some 3D tokens out for flat ones eventually. It was a pretty crowded board.

Technically, you could say the same for Saru, because a master can stand on a space with Saru status, but everyone loves the monkey. Also Frost with Yuki. Ah well, sometimes you just want pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.