Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: single_word_in_CAPS_meme [+] [View All]
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a certain unnamed source who I will not name told me that she/he knows for certain that FFG is planning on releasing an expansion to Rebellion. This was somebody who heard from FFG themselves that they were planning on an expansion. That's all I can say.

When? she/he didn't know
What will be in it? No clue
How much? What you want details? Read a Tolkien book.

Point is FFG will be expanding this baby. Probably not a surprise to anyone, but I'm curious how the game would be expanded. Mechanically it's pretty perfect right now but thematically there are a very few gaps.

TIME FOR SPECULATION HYPE! :-D

Things I think the expansion should have:

1: Something that increases the empire's hand size.

Like a project or something. Maybe you can build imperial bases in remote systems (represented by those giant satellite dishes from Return O' the Jedi) Maybe they'll increase your hand size by two as long as they're on the board and make the rebels roll two fewer black dice in space combat in that system. The empire shield generators were something that felt missing. Give it 3 red health like other structures. Maybe you draw a card when you play it. An increased hand size could be cool for the empire I think. But making it something you have to protect could be cool. And it doesn't help you much till the end game.

2. More leaders. Probably 2 for each side.

So given how action cards work I expect 2 leaders to be added to each side, with three cards each. So each leader gets their own action card and then the shared one. So if only two leaders were being added for both sides who would they be?

The Lothal rebels? Thrawn? Kyle Katarn? Jan Ors Jin Ersa?

I kinda feel Crix Madine currently serves the purpose Kyle Katarn would. But what if Katarn is the rebels version of Bubba Fett? Same stats and everything (he did beat Fett in the EU) He wouldn't be the first example of a rebel leader with identical stats to an empire leader.

Thrawn I've discussed before as being interesting if he were a 3 3 with ZERO skill icons. Giving him logistics I feel would be too powerful given how important that is for the empire. So he'd be useless for missions but the only 3 3 the empire could ever get. Maybe give him an action card called "Know thy enemy" where for one round empire missions in his sector gain 2 dice. Maybe empire block attempts too. Could be cool. Because Thrawn.

What about Hera from Star Wars rebels? Since she was the Lothal rebel's contact with the larger rebellion it makes sense to have her be the representation of that cell. She'll Probably be a 3-1 with 2 intel and 1 diplomacy Or is that too powerful? (compare Wedge and Ackbar) I feel the rebels don't have enough intel characters. Though I feel she would also need sabotage given what the Lothal rebels did. Maybe sabotage, diplomacy and intel? Though that kinda makes her an inferior version of Lando just with more space focus. And giving her two sabotogue makes her a wedge clone.

She could get a sabotage based action card at least. Maybe something like "place Hera in a system. "At the start of the refresh phase, before returning heroes to your hero pool place a sabotage marker in her system." You know like a once per game sabotage that the empire can't fix or block the same turn it's placed.
Maybe there will be a "support of Ryloth" Mission card which Hera can get two auto successes on. Maybe "get two influence in Ryloth and place a blockade runner unit in Ryloth" So you're not getting as good a ship or system as "Support of Mon Cal" but you get two influence AND you get the blockade runner instantly. Maybe require no imperial space units. Shouldn't be an attack card.

Oh and speaking of mission cards.

3. More mission cards.

There should be more mission cards. Maybe not a whole lot more. At least two for each of the new leaders. Hopeful like 10 more for each side. Maybe one or two more special projects? Dark trooper project? Tie Phantom project? A nerd can dream...

4. More starting action cards.

For the empire a "You have failed me for the last time." kill and replace a leader to get an auto success on a mission (or something like that. This card has been theorized on other threads.) And maybe a Jedi Leia card? Maybe up Leia into a 3 3 with her same skill stats? (mathematically speaking that gives her the same jump in stats as Luke gets if you count increases in tactics or space as +1 and increased skill icons as +1.)

Maybe an action card called "help me Obi Wan Kenobi" that allows you to send Leia to Tattooin to recruit Obi Wan turn one. Maybe too powerful if comboed with Old Friend. But less versatile than that card. Maybe you have two wait an extra turn to recruit. Or... maybe Leia HAS to get captured in order to recruit Obi Wan. Ooh... that's cool. Or maybe IF Leia gets captured you play it in response to recruit Obi Wan. Oh the possibilities.

5. Jabba the Hutt

3rd faction? Empire leader? event deck of random cards?

I don't know. Just make it happen. But make it thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
For balance's sake, I'd say that more of the same is probably our best bet- as OP stated, more missions, leaders, etc.

But... David mentioned the possibility of a third faction, and I find that to be quite an interesting idea. While I'd prefer a neutral NPC scum faction as discussed here, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1645971/jabba-hutt

It might still be fun to have scum with their own mechanics. How to balance this (and what the heck would their victory conditions even be?) are something I don't really even know how to begin tackling yet.

As David says, though... "make it thematic." The base game is fantastic in that regard, but Star Wars is obviously a huge franchise, so there's a ton of room for more iconic characters, events, and locations. Let's see more of what we love, in the game that we love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

STOP RUINING MY DREAMS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see Jabba.
I want to see a planetary shield for the death star.
I want some more planet-specific stuff happening (such as Yoda, Wookie uprising, etc.) to give character to all those places that we haven't seen.

I want extra tactic cards allowing to switch dice colors.

I don't want extra combat units or much plastic at all (besides the aformentioned planetary shields), but I seriously doubt FFG will release a cardboard-only expansion.

Scum Neutral units would be fine, if they don't introduce too much complexity (Fighting for the side who currently has loyalty in the system ?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So an unknown person with an unknown connection to FFG is confirming via third party that the game will have an expansion, size unknown, price unknown, name unknown, details unknown at an unknown point in the future.

Starting to hold my breath now.

Nope. Had to stop.

I'm afraid I just can't muster excitement for the vagueness of this non-announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barry
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm inclined to agree.

Can we get any specifics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
So an unknown person with an unknown connection to FFG is confirming via third party that the game will have an expansion, size unknown, price unknown, name unknown, details unknown at an unknown point in the future.

OMG EXPANSION CONFIRMED!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming this information is true, that would indicate someone probably violated an NDA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:

I want some more planet-specific stuff happening (such as Yoda, Wookie uprising, etc.) to give character to all those places that we haven't seen.

Yeah, that would be cool. Right now, as full of theme as the game is, a lot of the planets are nothing more than colored circles on the game board that host missions and troops. A little more flavor for them could really go a long way to fixing that.

It would also address the "Dantooine/Kashyyyk Problem" of the Empire seeing fit to secure or destroy key planets that offer unique rewards. As a certain Pixar villain once (sort of) said, if every planet is special, none are special. Of course, with that much of an influx of good cards for the Rebels, I'd expect the Empire would need some new goodies too.

But yeah, this "announcement" does seem pretty sketchy... but still, a guy can dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we really needed someone to confirm that there would be an expansion released. What game has FFG put out that didn't have an expansion? Anyone could've said that an expansion was coming and the chances of being wrong would be "approximately 3,720 to 1." (yes, quoting C-3Po) So, this thread should've just been another "what do you want to see in the 1st expansion" thread. Thanks for trying though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does DungeonQuest have an expansion on the way?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
What game has FFG put out that didn't have an expansion?

DungeonQuest Revised Edition
Forbidden Stars
Mission: Red Planet (second edition)
The Witcher Adventure Game
Fortress America
Merchant of Venus (second edition)
Nexus Ops

While they do make expansions, not every game they make necessarily has them. Granted, some of the aboves are remakes of older games that were expanionless, there's no guarantee any given game will have expansions

That said, one thing I like about a lot of FFG games is they leave them open for expansion, without leaving "holes" that NEED to be filled (most of the time, at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Assuming this information is true, that would indicate someone probably violated an NDA...

And so it begins. shake

How about we talk about the game and not assume the worst about people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

While they do make expansions, not every game they make necessarily has them. Granted, some of the aboves are remakes of older games that were expanionless, there's no guarantee any given game will have expansions

Very true...but this is Star Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Forbidden Stars
Fortress America
Nexus Ops

Also Middle-Earth Quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
tlee33 wrote:
I don't think we really needed someone to confirm that there would be an expansion released. What game has FFG put out that didn't have an expansion?

I would like to counter that. This game is nearly six months old. What game has FFG made expansions for that they didn't announce expansions for in the first six months?

Food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

And so it begins. shake

Begun, the Clone War has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:

Having been part of an FFG playtest several years ago where one member of the group nearly violated the NDA (inadvertently and without ill intentions), which could have had lasting consequences for everyone in the group, I merely bring it up because I don't want the same to happen to someone else. In my case, it fortunately got cleared up before too much harm was done, so we were able to participate in further tests. If this unnamed source is a new tester, I would not want them to see their opportunity blown over revealing information when they shouldn't be.

I don't know the person, and it was likely just a moment of excitement, perhaps not even realizing they aren't supposed to talk about ANY information on unreleased products they are involved with. I seriously doubt it was malicious intent, so no, I don't assume the worst about anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played it three times in a week but I swear I will play it till the colors of the tokens fade away!

About an expansion well maybe for me it is too early to say something but honestly speaking I though in more combo. I mean achieve missions in "combo tree" with counter moves.

By the way I love the game as it is right now.
I'd like new missions, leaders (and action cards) and objectives/projects. It would be great to select secretly before set up the objectives / projects decks (and than shuffle of course): each player might set a main strategy!

There are no ewoks (in the end. ..is there anyone who loves them? ) but again Corey did a MASTERPIECE!
Thank you very much! !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
tlee33 wrote:
What game has FFG put out that didn't have an expansion?

Forbidden Stars
Fortress America
Nexus Ops

That said, one thing I like about a lot of FFG games is they leave them open for expansion, without leaving "holes" that NEED to be filled (most of the time, at least).

Notice most of these games are licensed properties and/ or reprints.

The cost to develop or license expansion could be problematic. A property such as Star Wars has a built in audience, so the potential for profit is high. FFG is game company. They make things that are fun, but they are still a business, and risk/ reward is a major factor on decisions whether to pursue a project.

Some may ask why it has taken so long with no word of expansion. When you want to license such a major property, negotiations take time, and are often uncertain. So official announcements must be kept in check until things are certain and the details worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Some may ask why it has taken so long with no word of expansion.

Indeed, though I kind of chuckle that some people think it's taken "so long" when the game hasn't even been out a year yet. (I'm not saying you are one of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:

Having been part of an FFG playtest several years ago where one member of the group nearly violated the NDA (inadvertently and without ill intentions), which could have had lasting consequences for everyone in the group, I merely bring it up because I don't want the same to happen to someone else. In my case, it fortunately got cleared up before too much harm was done, so we were able to participate in further tests. If this unnamed source is a new tester, I would not want them to see their opportunity blown over revealing information when they shouldn't be.

I don't know the person, and it was likely just a moment of excitement, perhaps not even realizing they aren't supposed to talk about ANY information on unreleased products they are involved with. I seriously doubt it was malicious intent, so no, I don't assume the worst about anyone.

Hence why I kept everyone's identities secret. Besides. You don't know if I'm lying through my teeth about this to get extra likes. I could have made the story up. No one is at risk.

I'm not under any NDA so I haven't violated any agreement and the person who told me the information didn't tell me it was a secret or under an NDA.

So can we get back to the topic at hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:

Some may ask why it has taken so long with no word of expansion. When you want to license such a major property, negotiations take time, and are often uncertain. So official announcements must be kept in check until things are certain and the details worked out.

Or maybe they are waiting for a certain movie which takes place within the timeline of their game to come out before announcing the expansion... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:

So can we get back to the topic at hand?

Sure, but at its core, whether the rumor is true or not, this thread is just another of the many "expansion wishlist" threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.