Subject: Looking to get into but.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Seems that its pretty much impossible to get a basic version of 2nd edition without paying a crazy amount? Coolstuff and MM had it for in the 60s, but its been out of stock. Ebay is nuts and Amazon is the same.

Is 2Nd edition going to be printed again? And what of the expansions? The 20$ Lords expansion is now 100$+....

And on a second note, is the game good played at 3,4 players? We tried Star Wars Rebellion at 4, and it is pretty horrible. Amazing 2 player, but bad 4 player. I don't want the same experience for this game as our group is usually 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe both the basic game and LoME are being reprinted in the near future.

Only played 4p once and thought it was fine, but it is primarily designed as a 2p game.

There are lots of threads discussing it if you do a search on these forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget where I saw it, but I believe they said they are in the process of reprinting the base game and the Lords of Middle Earth expansion. So if you can wait a few months you will save yourself some $$.

I haven't played 3-4 player, but I know some people enjoy it.

Edit: ninja'ed twice by David this morning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some info from Ares' site:

"The War of the Ring Second Edition base game and its first expansion, Lords of Middle-earth are presently sold out, but they are now being reprinted and will be available again in the second half of November."

Source: http://www.aresgames.eu/17296
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
Seems that its pretty much impossible to get a basic version of 2nd edition without paying a crazy amount?
Worth every penny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be selling my second edition, with painted minis when I get my Anniversary edition...unless their paint job isn't as good as what I have. that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
Seems that its pretty much impossible to get a basic version of 2nd edition without paying a crazy amount? Coolstuff and MM had it for in the 60s, but its been out of stock. Ebay is nuts and Amazon is the same.

Is 2Nd edition going to be printed again? And what of the expansions? The 20$ Lords expansion is now 100$+....

And on a second note, is the game good played at 3,4 players? We tried Star Wars Rebellion at 4, and it is pretty horrible. Amazing 2 player, but bad 4 player. I don't want the same experience for this game as our group is usually 4.

As others have said, a reprint's coming soon, but as to terms of quality of the multiplayer variant - unimaginably superior to Star Wars: Rebellion. In fact, though we are talking about a 2nd edition along with an expansion pack and Rebellion just came out fresh with obviously a number of areas for improvement, I think it's safe to say WoR is simply a superior game overall. Many claim Rebellion is attempting to be a spiritual successor, but I would say Rebellion failed at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion SWR is a fun game but not in the same league as WotR. Both can be played by four players, but none of them shine with four. I wouldn't buy any of them to primarily play with four. Check out Age of Conan as a possible four player alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.