12 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Durham, NC - In stock at Atomic Empire! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Ivins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The store I work at (Atomic Empire) managed to get about 40 copies in stock. Unfortunately, our contract with Asmodee prevents us from shipping the game. However, if you're close enough to Durham, NC to make it here in person and you're having trouble finding the game elsewhere, it's here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do they object to shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ivins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speculate on why, but here's a newspost about the change, which started in April: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmod...

Quote:
RETAILER MUST NOT SELL OR TRANSFER ANY ANA PRODUCT PURCHASED HEREUNDER IN ANY MANNER OTHER THAN THROUGH FACE-TO-FACE COMMERCIAL RESALE EXCHANGE WITH END-USERS IN RETAILER'S PHYSICAL RETAIL LOCATION(S) OR AT A PHYSICAL EXTENSION OF THE RETAILER'S RETAIL LOCATION AT A CONSUMER SHOW/CONVENTION.

No chance for ambiguity there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
randomlife wrote:

I think it's just part of Asmodee's retailer policies. I seem to remember after they purchased a few NA game companies like FFG that there was talk of prices going up and that smaller online stores would be unable to offer their products. Seems like Asmodee vets any retailer before authorizing them to be official Specialty Retailers. I think they want the brick and mortar stores to be explicitly brick and mortar and not a mix of that and online, minus a few exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
randomlife wrote:

I think it's just part of Asmodee's retailer policies. I seem to remember after they purchased a few NA game companies like FFG that there was talk of prices going up and that smaller online stores would be unable to offer their products. Seems like Asmodee vets any retailer before authorizing them to be official Specialty Retailers. I think they want the brick and mortar stores to be explicitly brick and mortar and not a mix of that and online, minus a few exceptions.

I get the what, just not the why. Why does Asmodee care if a store mixes face to face and online ordering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
COMaestro wrote:
randomlife wrote:

I get the what, just not the why. Why does Asmodee care if a store mixes face to face and online ordering?

I believe it's because Asmodee charges online stores more for the same product than they do for Brick and Mortar because... they can. Supposedly it's to support Brick and Mortars and thus the gaming community... the other view is that they are just squeezing out more profit where they can and punishing those who prefer to buy online.

So since Brick and Mortar gets cheaper prices or as ANA calls it, a "discount", they are not allowed to sell online.

More here:
Asmodee Clarifies Its Changes for 2016: Online Sales Will Continue, No Price Floors Will Be Imposed
A Historical Perspective on Changes Announced by Asmodee North America

Also:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
soosy wrote:

I believe it's because Asmodee charges online stores more for the same product than they do for Brick and Mortar because... they can. Supposedly it's to support Brick and Mortars and thus the gaming community... the other view is that they are just squeezing out more profit where they can and punishing those who prefer to buy online.

Even with these policies it's still cheaper to buy online 99% of the time over B&M. Sad for the slight markup that occurred on products, but still a heck of a lot cheaper than in store purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ivins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Asmodee has lifted all restrictions (including online sales) on about 500 games, including this one! The only limitation now is we can't sell it internationally. We've got it available for sale online now: https://www.atomicempire.com/item.aspx?item=183903

We currently have about 30 copies, and one distributor is able to get us 2 per week for a while, so hopefully a lot of people still looking for it can get one before they're gone. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except the price is retail and not AE's typical 20% discount. Why would I order from here instead of another online store? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
Except the price is retail and not AE's typical 20% discount. Why would I order from here instead of another online store? Just curious.
Why would they discount a game when perceived scarcity is driving the market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
proclaimed wrote:

Because they actually have it?

I'm being facetious. Looks like CoolStuffInc got restocked, and I'm sure other online vendors have as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ivins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We felt that due to the limited nature (this is one of the rare times that we know for certain we won't get many more of a game, possibly any) charging retail was appropriate. It was in-line with pricing in a number of other places we checked. If you find it in-stock for less elsewhere, I highly encourage you buy it there!

One thing I can say for certain is that we won't go above retail; my boss hates doing that, even on extremely limited products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.