$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 105.06

6,574 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

World in Flames» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Game report #13 : Italy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Previously : Rhineland reoccupied, Ethiopia conquered, Japan invades China and defeats the Nationalists, Anschluss, Russian purges, Spanish Civil War stalemates, CW and France establish new Entente Cordiale, Persia conquered, Germany and Italy sign a second pact, Czechoslovakia sacrificed, Bessarabia seized, Finland attacked, Germany conquers Belgium and Denmark and sweeps through France before Vichying it. Is that a word – Vichying?

March /April 1940

Politics : Italy gears up but not a lot else happens (although I think this may just be someone being economical with the truth).

Commies with military initiative, Democrats go second as the good guys (surely the evil dictatorships? – ed.) choose to drop down the order (they won the roll). The US tries to declare war against the Japanese but fails – spooking everyone (but mostly Greg I would hope). In response, Italy declares war against the CW. The CW player has hidden behind the sofa but Italian attempts to find the RN in the Med fail quite badly. Frogmen sink a TRS in an almost empty Gibraltar and, in the Cape Verde Basin, subs find the convoys again and again, cleaning them out and sinking the Hobart for the loss of two subs. But, not a great return for a surprise impulse.

The US perseveres with those declarations of war and fails again. The CW evacuates the Med with its convoys to try to patch up the gaps, but reserves are scarce.

It all went a bit quiet on the reporting. Obviously important stuff happened but no note remains – this was Friday which is typically a late night session so perhaps we were a little tired and emotional.*

May / Jun 1940

So next morning everyone is refreshed and ready to go.

Politics : Germany allies with Hungary, the US signs an agreement with Brazil and China becomes a free trader. Although it is clear that China is currently unable to trade at all, what with being almost wiped out and having no access to the outside world, this positively affects USE and minor countries.

The Fascists win initiative as usual and start off with an Italian declaration of war on Free France. Algiers is invaded. The CW frantically scrambles to rebuild their convoy lines and brings a major naval force out into Cape St Vincent. This is essential to reestablish supply to Gibraltar and the combination of the new sub combat rules and limited overseas supply makes life as the CW extremely arduous.

Next Italian impulse, a single sub achieves surprise on this Gibraltar supply fleet and sends another 6 CP into the damaged box, aborting the rest. Gib out of supply again and CW reserves of CP are very thin indeed. The Japanese get a two hex attack on Lan Chow and throw it on +4 in a long shot attempt to finish the Chines war but fail, losing a Div.

Clearly the Communist Chinese don’t want to die so easily – whereas their Russian comrades haven’t read the memo. The Russians yet again fail to hit the Finns with two airstrikes (now over 2 years worth with no results). We’ve been quiet on this ongoing quagmire but Russia has been losing a minimum of 2 corps a turn against the Finnish barricades, consistently rolling 4 or less on two combat dice.

Meanwhile it all kicks off navally between Laurence (engage the enemy more closely) and Greg (all your base belong to us).

First Battle of the Western Med
The CW, despite having to deal with an already patrolling Italian fleet, head out into the 2 and 3 box with 5 CVs and assorted escorts. Supply to Gibraltar is preserved by Free French convoy points (CPs) in Cape St Vincent. The CW dash surprises the complacent Italian fleet and in the ensuing Air to Air combat the Italian land based Navs are sent packing – one killed and one aborted – and the IT CV FTR plane aborted. The remaining CW Bombers dodge some heavy AA and damage the IT CV (the Aquila?), and the Fiume, without loss. The Italians made smoke and were lost from view, more to come.

The Italian response fails to find and the pendulum is back to the CW – to go again or not. Well, what do you think Laurence does in this situation…

Second Battle of the Western Med

The RN loses Curlew, Carlisle, Durham sunk, Italy loses the Diaz. The Courageous aborts. This round looks like an Italian victory. Meanwhile, Italian subs once more clean the CPs out of Cape St Vincent.

Third Battle of the Western Med
This was an extended battle – Italian convoys and aircraft are cleared out, the RN has the Ceres and Capetown sunk, Ark Royal damaged (it makes its roll to avoid a X). Italy loses Trieste and Fiume. Bande Nere follows them to teh bottom as do another 3 unrecorded RN CLs and then the Italians, having lost the convoy they were protecting, abort out. The CW hold the field, but a few more victories like that and the Germans will be able to use pedalos to cross the Channel.

Talking of the Germans it’s not clear what they were up to during this period but the next dispatch from the front indicates that they are at war with Yugoslavia. I have no idea when this started – it was probably a reactive war that was started after the Hungarians were allied (and thus allowed access to the hapless Yugoslavs). Maybe Andy can fill in the blanks on this.

*Per George Brown, Labour minister in the 1960s

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pleass
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes Simon, Hungary allied to allow access to Belgerade, can't recall what else was going on though, this may be the reason



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Afzelius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GREAT AAR

WOW USSR rolled 2+2 on the 2D10 combat roll !!!
I dont think I EVER got that low in any wif/Dod game in my life.....

The axis surely got a lot of luck running there way in the combat rolls but most of the events is something that would happen sooner or later anyway, given the axis would throw actions and units after it.

The Italy surprise on the CW convoy net is a very bad thing for the CW and the poor CW player will have to pray the USA are comming to help soon.

Japan is not worryed USA is trying to DoW? Dont worry he will be

Can we get a political look in the NeXT AAR ?

And yes, Vichying is a term in Wif/DoD, I dont know if it is used outside the gaming World.

If the axis are going into Yugoslavia, USSR should be most alarmed !!

Cheers
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyP wrote:
yes Simon, Hungary allied to allow access to Belgerade, can't recall what else was going on though, this may be the reason





Ah yes. That looks familiar.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember a Guinness round. Especially not as it looks like it was taken in daylight.

I was probably too distracted trying to work out how to get enough supply to the IJA to assault Lan Chow - hence the road building programme outside Chungking.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and on the Yugoslavian question, Germany did indeed invade late in the may/June turn but the controlling French did some crafty positioning to stop a full on attack on Belgrade - which if you remember turned out later to be an error as it used a reserve unit that should have been on the production chart. Oh well, another rules error. How long have we been playing this now?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pleass
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jes Nogger wrote:
I don't remember a Guinness round. Especially not as it looks like it was taken in daylight.

I was probably too distracted trying to work out how to get enough supply to the IJA to assault Lan Chow - hence the road building programme outside Chungking.


artistic licence Greg - the Guinness round was from our St. Patricks day session in March
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pleass
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jes Nogger wrote:
Oh, and on the Yugoslavian question, Germany did indeed invade late in the may/June turn but the controlling French did some crafty positioning to stop a full on attack on Belgrade - which if you remember turned out later to be an error as it used a reserve unit that should have been on the production chart. Oh well, another rules error. How long have we been playing this now?


Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the Yugoslavian Zombie Reserve unit!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henninga wrote:
GREAT AAR

WOW USSR rolled 2+2 on the 2D10 combat roll !!!
I dont think I EVER got that low in any wif/Dod game in my life.....

Can we get a political look in the NeXT AAR ?


"Swiss" Andy is the most unlucky WiF player you will ever come across. This kind of rolling is very common for him (and to be honest his namesake "Non-Swiss" Andy has had a quite a few 2s, 3s and 4s in combat with his Germans this game). However, after almost 25 years of absolutely terrible luck in every single game, Andy has perfected the stoic mentality. I wish I could also achieve this state of mind to better deal with my occasional poor rolls.

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this second session so the political display is a bit of a mystery. We will try harder during the next seesion in a couple of weeks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
nailsworthnobby wrote:
Henninga wrote:
GREAT AAR

WOW USSR rolled 2+2 on the 2D10 combat roll !!!
I dont think I EVER got that low in any wif/Dod game in my life.....

Can we get a political look in the NeXT AAR ?


"Swiss" Andy is the most unlucky WiF player you will ever come across. This kind of rolling is very common for him (and to be honest his namesake "Non-Swiss" Andy has had a quite a few 2s, 3s and 4s in combat with his Germans this game). However, after almost 25 years of absolutely terrible luck in every single game, Andy has perfected the stoic mentality. I wish I could also achieve this state of mind to better deal with my occasional poor rolls.

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this second session so the political display is a bit of a mystery. We will try harder during the next seesion in a couple of weeks.


You've never played WIF with me at a WIFCon...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
nailsworthnobby wrote:
Henninga wrote:
GREAT AAR

WOW USSR rolled 2+2 on the 2D10 combat roll !!!
I dont think I EVER got that low in any wif/Dod game in my life.....

Can we get a political look in the NeXT AAR ?


"Swiss" Andy is the most unlucky WiF player you will ever come across. This kind of rolling is very common for him (and to be honest his namesake "Non-Swiss" Andy has had a quite a few 2s, 3s and 4s in combat with his Germans this game). However, after almost 25 years of absolutely terrible luck in every single game, Andy has perfected the stoic mentality. I wish I could also achieve this state of mind to better deal with my occasional poor rolls.

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this second session so the political display is a bit of a mystery. We will try harder during the next seesion in a couple of weeks.


You've never played WIF with me at a WIFCon...



If you need someone to roll bad dice, I'm your man. My rates are reasonable
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
SwissAndy wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
nailsworthnobby wrote:
Henninga wrote:
GREAT AAR

WOW USSR rolled 2+2 on the 2D10 combat roll !!!
I dont think I EVER got that low in any wif/Dod game in my life.....

Can we get a political look in the NeXT AAR ?


"Swiss" Andy is the most unlucky WiF player you will ever come across. This kind of rolling is very common for him (and to be honest his namesake "Non-Swiss" Andy has had a quite a few 2s, 3s and 4s in combat with his Germans this game). However, after almost 25 years of absolutely terrible luck in every single game, Andy has perfected the stoic mentality. I wish I could also achieve this state of mind to better deal with my occasional poor rolls.

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this second session so the political display is a bit of a mystery. We will try harder during the next seesion in a couple of weeks.


You've never played WIF with me at a WIFCon...



If you need someone to roll bad dice, I'm your man. My rates are reasonable


My specialty is more along the lines of drawing horrible US entry chits so that I don't get into the war until mid-1943 or so. (True story.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.