Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright so I guess I should've posted this in tbe pimphaven thread but anyways, I prefered to start a new one in case lots of suggestions and discussion (I'm hopeful) comes in, and didn't want to get the other thread convoluted.

Anyway, so I've been thinking about that for a while and it's not that I need yet another uncompleted project on my hands but I'm thinking of making a custom "printed" leather map for the game. Like huge, whole table huge or 2.5' by 3' would be Ok I guess.

And maybe even, a separate 1'x1' map for the city map, if it serves any good in-game.

Ideally it wouldn't require too much "handmaking" as, although I always think I'm pretty fit for the job, it doesn't always turn out the way I want. But I've seen Paper to fabric transfer sheet that could technically work and be likely rather easy to use.

Best case scenario,

1. Chessex battlemat style mat material.
2. Custom printed.
3. Ideally not more expansive than the game itself.
4. Stickers or custom stickers need to stick to it.*

*: This is not optional. So I guess if the sticker do not stick when rolled, I could probably cover it with nail polish or another type of transparent glue to stick it in place.

also, I noticed the stickers (posted here) probably match the map background. So for it to be really nice, I might need to print the stickers on a transparent sheet..

Anyway, it is a small project I've got going on. In my head for now but If you have any positive insight (or dissuasive experiences) to share please do so.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Custom leather map
Instead of sticking the stickers to the map itself how about attaching them to pins and actually pinning the locations on the map, old school style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
Instead of sticking the stickers to the map itself how about attaching them to pins and actually pinning the locations on the map, old school style.

Kudos.. Great idea... It would actually like it better then with stickers. Not sure if the table will think its such a great idea 'tho but I can surely figure out a way to make it work.

But stickers are the least of my concerns right now. I really need to figure out how to get this printed on the cheap.. I doubt "leather" would be on the cheap but I'd definately settle for those D&D battle mat/chessex mat material, what ever it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ackland
msg tools
Instead of getting it printed, you could probably hand make a pretty good looking cloth/leather map if you had the time.

Buy a bunch of the largest pieces of chamois leather you can find at a auto-accessories shop. Roughly stitch them together with large string or leather strips until it's the size you want.
Copy the map design onto it in pencil - the map has a handy grid on it, so it's easy to transpose.
Use a soldering iron with a fine tip to trace over your pencil lines, to burn them into the map.
Fray or burn the edges of your map, spill some coffee on it, etc to get a nice weathered look.

Probably more effort than I want to put in myself, but it would work pretty well.

For the stickers, I'd copy the designs onto felt sheets (no colour, obviously) cut and glue them onto the leather. You could try the soldering iron trick, but I don't know how well wool felt handles it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ax0r wrote:
Instead of getting it printed, you could probably hand make a pretty good looking cloth/leather map if you had the time.

Buy a bunch of the largest pieces of chamois leather you can find at a auto-accessories shop. Roughly stitch them together with large string or leather strips until it's the size you want.
Copy the map design onto it in pencil - the map has a handy grid on it, so it's easy to transpose.
Use a soldering iron with a fine tip to trace over your pencil lines, to burn them into the map.
Fray or burn the edges of your map, spill some coffee on it, etc to get a nice weathered look.

Probably more effort than I want to put in myself, but it would work pretty well.

For the stickers, I'd copy the designs onto felt sheets (no colour, obviously) cut and glue them onto the leather. You could try the soldering iron trick, but I don't know how well wool felt handles it.

Yeah... that's very last case scenario. It'll probably look awesome, the best even.. (although I might overestimate my skills again) but I'd really prefer to "outsource" this one. ;-).. Not only to up my chances to have it in time for when the game arrives but also I'd really want to want it neat and professional looking.

I've done my share of searching, it seams that I've "almost" settled on one of those options:

1. Neoprene mat
2. Vinyl (banner like) mat
3. Plain or Parchment textured paper with some handmade aging.

What would be fabulous would be the chessex style vinyl they use for their battlemat. I can't seem to find this kind of material or anyone that prints on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I've sent e-mail to exactly 33 print shops around canada, requesting for this particular material to print on:
Chessex mat
Close-up view of the texture
Wider view

Or any other material they recommend for this use.

I've also settled for a 36 x 48 mat size. Pretty decent if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.