Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I mostly like grabbing a handful of Story Cubes and rolling them to make an often *crazy story , here is my favorite way to make them into a game. This works better if you have more sets, but it will work fine with only one set and three players.

The story teller rolls three dice and starts telling a story. The other players have three dice each (or more for longer stories), and they keep them hidden. After the story teller stops, he or she looks away while the other players place a die in the middle of the play area turned to any face they want. The story teller chooses one of the dice to continue the story, and the player who offered it gets a point. The story continues in this way until all players have used their last die. You can play to a certain number of points, or give each person an equal number of turns to be the story teller. I like playing this way because no one has to judge your story, but it encourages the other players to give the story teller something interesting to use.

*Did I ever tell you the one about the astronauts who mutated their DNA in order to change themselves into apples so they could infiltrate the planet of the human-hating aliens (who incidentally loved bobbing for apples) on a mission for peace? (the heart from Enchanted, the DNA from Clues, the "no humans" and dome world from Intergalactic, and the vat from Batman)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: a simple way gameify Rory Story Cubes
We have a bunch of sets (36 dice in all) mixed up in one bag. The first person blindly pulls out 3 dice, rolls them, and begins the story - using them in whichever order he/she chooses. The next person pulls 3 new dice, rolls them, and continues telling the story. This continues until the dice have all been used and usually culminates in an inventive journey of hysterical, if not epic, proportions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxdomina wrote:
We have a bunch of sets (36 dice in all) mixed up in one bag. The first person blindly pulls out 3 dice, rolls them, and begins the story - using them in whichever order he/she chooses. The next person pulls 3 new dice, rolls them, and continues telling the story. This continues until the dice have all been used and usually culminates in an inventive journey of hysterical, if not epic, proportions.

That's another great way to play, but sometimes people are in the mood to have a score/make it game-y.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this variant, Andrew. It keeps the focus on the storytelling and players need to listen to be able to pick the best icon to put before the storyteller. Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.