Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Fahy

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To help my in my own design, I would like to see what I can learn by playing any arena style board games I can get my hands on. Can anyone help me compile a list of must-plays? By arena I mean each player controls a single unit and the focus of the game is on combat.

To start things off, a favorite of mine is Wiz-war. It is very random, but it fits perfectly with the theme of wizards slinging all sorts of magic back and forth. Summoning monsters, reshaping the dungeon, or just throwing a fireball... you never know what your opponent has up their sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is probably relevant. (King-of-the-hill fighting, dice with rerolls to generate resources)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Maybe you should look at Gorechosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mustafa
Indonesia
Tangerang Selatan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mmmm spartacus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Arena Rex is good example of arena type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:

I was going to mention that but from what I understand the game plays better with multiple models per player. If multiple 'tokens' per player are involved I'd say look at some of the sports games too, they often focus on a small area of play and lots of combat in addition to the other scoring mechanisms. Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook, DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game, Slaughterball, Kaosball: The Fantasy Sport of Total Domination and the like may have good ideas for a constrained space arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Warriorz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
EyeLost wrote:
8Oj4N wrote:

I was going to mention that but from what I understand the game plays better with multiple models per player. If multiple 'tokens' per player are involved I'd say look at some of the sports games too, they often focus on a small area of play and lots of combat in addition to the other scoring mechanisms. Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook, DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game, Slaughterball, Kaosball: The Fantasy Sport of Total Domination and the like may have good ideas for a constrained space arena.

The more things he investigate, better for him in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fahy

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, I have a good pool of games to try out now. I hadn't heard of a couple of these before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My own creation

is a game you might want to look into:

A miniature skirmish game designed for 2-8 players with each player playing as few as 1 Hero.
Bonus: You may pick any miniature from any fantasy range, so you can play with miniatures you already possess.
You get to design your Hero's attributes and you may choose from over 200 different skills to make your Hero truly unique.
Also, if you are into dice game, you might like the twist on how to read the dice faces.
The scenarios given are highly action oriented:
Besides the classic "I kill you", there are rules for "capture the flag", "bombing run" or "king of the hill".

The rules are free and if there are ever any questions, I'm always around to reply!

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like this style of games, and have put together a geeklist of Battle Card Games, some of which will probably fit what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.