Hide
9 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: mirkwood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan b
msg tools
i buy the mirkwood cycle but i found it very boring some mission to easy and other to difficult .....this is just me ?... the game get better in other cycles ....or i am playing wrong? thank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind, each cycle has progressively gotten better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree 100% -- the first cycle of quests, while fine for their time, are really not as well designed as the other cycles. Hard to blame the designers, as they were certainly still finding their footing and figuring out what makes a quest fun.

But to my mind, the latest cycle has consistently had the most interesting, fun scenarios. The designers have cranked out about 100 scenarios by this point, and they're still finding new and interesting things to do.

Mirkwood cycle still has some decent quests (Conflict at the Carrock), but I don't really know anyone that actually enjoys Journey to Rhosgobel, or the Dead Marshes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i play solo with one deck and like Journey to Rhosbobel and Return to Mirkwood best in this cycle.

Overall Dwarrowdelf is a much better cycle, more interesting and more fun. Ringmaker cycle i found overly hard and generally not as enjoyable as Dwarrowdelf, but Angmar cycle is great again, especially the first 4 quests before they get too tough. I have not played the Against the Shadow cycle.

In general things do get tougher though as the cycles progress. Some quests i have to tweak the odd rule for solo play (for instance some time penalties are overly hard to solo through).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next cycles get better in theme, fun and difficulty consistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirkwood always has the nostalgia factor for me, and is definitely the cycle that I continue to play the most - not just for testing decks, but for the enjoyment of the game. I've played most of the subsequent stuff (fallen a bit behind lately!) and, while I enjoy them, they do tend to be more mechanically demanding than the earlier ones, where you could kinda sit back and enjoy the theme of Tolkien's world.

But this is definitely a subjective thing, and I would imagine that newer players (don't know if you are, of course, but anyway) wouldn't necessarily have that sense of nostalgia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. New player and planning my next purchase but am wondering about skipping the first cycle entirely or are there some must have packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan b
msg tools
i play the hunt for gollum ,the hills of amyn muil,the dead marshes and i think they are easy and boring ....but they have good card like "the song of "...cards so .....it difficult to skip the song are for me very good cards ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
There are some great cards in the first cycle (and the next) but to me those quests are depressing, I don't really enjoy it until Heirs of Numenor (even though that's brutal), and the game just keeps getting better and better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.