$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 64.06

4,535 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.6% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Dice of Arkham» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Q's... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game printed and played. The October SGOYT provided the incentive. A couple of quick questions:

When you refer to 1D2 (at least as it came up printed for me) what exactly are you referring to? 1 d6 times 2? 1 2 sided die? And your original board says 1D3 where the rules say 1D2.

(NOTE: I understand some of these are cleaned up on the newer boards. I just haven't looked yet.)

About the health/sanity restore: The rules state that these may ONLY be gained when starting a turn exactly on the elder sign space. But if I have to use ALL my rolls, I have no control whether I land on that space or not. The rules then say "You may choose to just move on the track or a combination of healing and moving." And that goes against the "...remain on the elder sign space for several turns..."

So I played that once I passed the elder sign space, I could then use the investigation points for healing health, healing sanity, or moving. Any combination of those up to the total I rolled. I did that on every time down the track. Once I got to the end and earned a seal, I had to use investigation points only for movement. Once passed the elder sign, then I could use them for anything.

Lastly, it seemed the clock didn't move enough. But now that I've played once, I'll play again with the extra files and see what that does.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for trying my game. Some answers below.

govmiller wrote:
Got the game printed and played. The October SGOYT provided the incentive. A couple of quick questions:

When you refer to 1D2 (at least as it came up printed for me) what exactly are you referring to? 1 d6 times 2? 1 2 sided die? And your original board says 1D3 where the rules say 1D2.


A D2 means that you roll a die and if you roll 1-3 the result is a 1, whereas if you roll 4-6, the result is a 2. So basically it is a way of finding a number from 1-2.

govmiller wrote:
About the health/sanity restore: The rules state that these may ONLY be gained when starting a turn exactly on the elder sign space. But if I have to use ALL my rolls, I have no control whether I land on that space or not. The rules then say "You may choose to just move on the track or a combination of healing and moving." And that goes against the "...remain on the elder sign space for several turns..."


If you want to land on a specific space, you have to be lucky and take some risks with your rerolls. Then, if you start your turn on the elder sign space, you don't have to move. Instead of moving you can use all your investigation to heal, but you can also move a bit and heal a bit. But only if you start your turn on the Elder Sign space.

govmiller wrote:
So I played that once I passed the elder sign space, I could then use the investigation points for healing health, healing sanity, or moving. Any combination of those up to the total I rolled. I did that on every time down the track. Once I got to the end and earned a seal, I had to use investigation points only for movement. Once passed the elder sign, then I could use them for anything.


I wouldn't call this cheating since you're only playing against yourself, but it will make the game easier :-)

govmiller wrote:
Lastly, it seemed the clock didn't move enough. But now that I've played once, I'll play again with the extra files and see what that does.


You move the timer in these three instances:

A - if you have any 2s on your investigator dice when resolving them. Each 2 moves the timer one space.

B - If you roll a double on the Mythos Dice (unless you opt to sacrifice D2 Health/Sanity). If you want a more challenging game, count 5s and 6s as the same when checking for doubles. (So both 5-5, 6-6, and 5-6 will trigger the timer.)

C - If you flee combat.

I hope this helps. If you have other questions, let me know.

mads
2 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes- most of that is what I had been thinking.

Thanks!

Any plans on a re-theme or additional adventure? Just curious...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a few variants have been made - a Battlestar Galactica themed one, for instance, which looks really nice. I've been thinking of making a set of small scenarios using the same game system, but for the moment I have been quite busy finishing Madness At Midnight. I do, however, have another Lovecraft-themed solo idea brewing, but so far it's only on the concept stage.

m

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.