13 Posts

Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » News

Subject: Team Covenant Write UP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Kirk
msg tools
Hey guys,

Checkout this team covenant write up on SW Destiny.

I Didn’t Want It To Be My Destiny - https://teamcovenant.com/covenant/i-didnt-want-it-to-be-my-d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
Quick thoughts/questions after skim reading this.

Not seeing it, but think that it would be valuable to know how this relates/is different than the collectibility of Dice Masters especially as he (you?) writes that this will be basically the most "affordable" of the collectible games that he's played. I guess I'm wondering too where this comment comes from especially since this is FFG and Star Wars we're talking about where I would expect wave after wave of endless expansions plus the need for 2 of most characters. The solution provided that meet-ups and other gamers will be able to meet this need (via trade) wasn't my experience in Dice Masters for the most part, especially with the rarest drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest part of Zack's claim on Destiny being the least expensive collectible game is largely based on only needing two copies for a playset.

It was nice to read his appraisal of the game. I bet it IS a good game. Maybe it's even a great game! But therein lies the problem, at least for me. I would take such joy in this game, that I could not rest with any degree of satisfaction until I had all the cards, and I would continue to feel this way set, after set. I can't fool myself into thinking that I could actually be content playing with a couple starters and a few boosters. I'm a completionist, and a competitive player, a friendly competitive player, but competitive. Given all of this I must not turn down this path, or forever will it dominate my Destiny. Thus, it shall not be my destiny; I'll choose another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
Me: I don't like/want collectible games.

Me after watching a "trailer" for the game: I don't like/want collectible games.

Me just before playing: I don't like/want collectible games.

Me while playing a demo: Gee, this is kind of fun.

Me after playing a demo: I MUST HAVE THEM ALL! When does it come out? What store is selling them? What am I going to need to play it at least a little well? (Other than developing better "game" sense since I often suck at games.)

So I follow their path pretty much right along the line (without having the pressure of figuring out if a store should carry it). It was a lot more fun that I expected (or really wanted it to be).

I don't need the expense, but I'm going to at least dip my toe in the water and pull out if I get too deep financially.

Oh, and I need a storage solution. Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
zekks wrote:
Quick thoughts/questions after skim reading this.

Not seeing it, but think that it would be valuable to know how this relates/is different than the collectibility of Dice Masters especially as he (you?) writes that this will be basically the most "affordable" of the collectible games that he's played. I guess I'm wondering too where this comment comes from especially since this is FFG and Star Wars we're talking about where I would expect wave after wave of endless expansions plus the need for 2 of most characters. The solution provided that meet-ups and other gamers will be able to meet this need (via trade) wasn't my experience in Dice Masters for the most part, especially with the rarest drops.

I'm actually not sure that we'll always want 2x characters. Since you get the abilities of a character even with just 1 copy, 2x will be for characters whose dice are integral to how a deck functions. I can see there being plenty of characters that you'd want to add just one of in order to get their ability (e.g. Finn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Zach and the Team Covenant folks. They do amazing things for the community and I know Zach is a huge fan of Star Wars. I really want to believe that everything in the article is genuine, but I have this nagging, skeptical part of my brain saying that he got paid off by FFG to write that review. I don't want to believe that, though. I'd rather believe he and Steven really are having a fantastic time with Destiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
..., but I have this nagging, skeptical part of my brain saying that he got paid off by FFG to write that review.

I really doubt that's the case. The Team Covenant folks have always seemed genuinely excited about the games they support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
It is very similar to Rahdo criticism in a way. People criticize him for liking every game he reviews, while he has said that he only reviews games that he generally likes. In this case Team Covenant only sells games they like, so when they talk about them they get criticized for only talking about games they sell. I don't see them as being untrustworthy and their excitement seems genuine but I can see how someone could view it from the other angle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Budgernaut wrote:
I love Zach and the Team Covenant folks. They do amazing things for the community and I know Zach is a huge fan of Star Wars. I really want to believe that everything in the article is genuine, but I have this nagging, skeptical part of my brain saying that he got paid off by FFG to write that review. I don't want to believe that, though. I'd rather believe he and Steven really are having a fantastic time with Destiny.

This is a pretty serious accusation to levy based on just supposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG and/or ANA has never, and *will not* pay reviewers for positive reviews, nor do we seek to manipulate reviews in any unfair manner. We take this very seriously.

We find the fact that such practices exist in the world, to be shameful.

These are serious allegations that I'm happy to say, in the strongest possible way, are without merit.

In our experience, Team Covenant has never requested any payment or favor from FFG/ANA related to their editorials or reviews. We consider them a game company of the highest standard, and great folks to boot.

Christian
FFG/ANA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Alonso
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But your company did approach them to do videos on your game to promote it before release as per Zach Bunns article on Team Covenant. Both organizations are definitely working together for mutual profit.

Dont get me wrong the videos and coverage they put out are great, but to suggest you are not working together, I believe, is inaccurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
galonso wrote:
Dont get me wrong the videos and coverage they put out are great, but to suggest you are not working together, I believe, is inaccurate.

I thought reading through multiple rulebooks should be enough for any gamer to gain the ability to recognise obvious differences in wording and meaning between two phrases - for example, between "working together" and "paying reviewers for positive reviews"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Alonso
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
galonso wrote:

I thought reading through multiple rulebooks should be enough for any gamer to gain the ability to recognise obvious differences in wording and meaning between two phrases - for example, between "working together" and "paying reviewers for positive reviews"...

Agreed. My point is only that they did solicit TC to put out videos for their new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.