$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Base Dominon + ??? (first expansion for a non-confrontational eurogamer) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had base dominion forever, but I just rediscovered the game (the joy and curse of having a large collection!) and I'm thinking about getting an expansion, but I'd like y'alls input.

I've played a few dominion expansions over the years but only once each:
Alchemy: Hated it, seemed really fiddly.
Prosperity: Had quite a bit of fun with it one night
Dark Ages: I really, really liked the rats but wasn't taken by anything else.
Intruige: I might have played it a couple times and I remember nothing special.

I've seen a game of seaside last for an hour+ with an AP prone group but I've never played it myself.

I don't mind interaction myself, but my wife HATES it (ie we play Ticket to Ride without gratuitous blocking).

I'm inclined to go with Prosperity, but since so much seems to have been added over the years, I thought I'd ask....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I had asked the question in the general gaming recommendation forums and here are the two responses I got.

Trantor42 wrote:
Seaside. Prosperity is a close second.

lampeter wrote:
We have also had base Dominion forever, but I had never played any expansions. I visited with an old friend awhile back who played a few games with me. Prosperity was fun but, but it seemed like the novelty would wear off. The game I enjoyed most was a combination of Seaside and Hinterlands.

Any thoughts? In a previous thread in the dominion forum that was fairly similar, it seems that seaside and prosperity were common recommendations for a non-confrontational guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Justus! Long time.

As an avid Dominion player of long standing, I'd say go with Prosperity. I also am rather fond of Cornucopia, with its theme of "variety in your deck".

ETA: Get the base game second edition upgrade pack, too. It replaces some of the worse cards in the base game with better ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity sounds good

DA can have some more complex cards. I recall one 4p game of that took 90 minutes. By contrast, a 3p Ticket To Ride Nordic Countries game took only 45 minutes. Granted, Dominion often takes longer with more players, and the newcomers to DA were "buried" reading a lot of text. However, it's still a bad sign when a game of Dominion takes twice as long as TtR, as it's supposed to be the other way around.

Any set... avoid attack cards, or otherwise cards that your wife doesn't like to suit your gaming preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer recommends that if you're only ever going to get one expansion, get Seaside. Otherwise, get them in order, maybe skipping Alchemy.

I concur with that recommendation.

You can download the rulebooks for every expansion from Rio Grande Games or right here on BGG, and they have every card listed in every set... oh hey, you can go look at them here too:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Main_Page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hintertlands never get enough love in these threads. Its addition to the game is very simple, some of the cards have extra effects that only happen when you gain them. And some great cards, obvioysly.

With that said: Seaside is also a rather safe bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go in chronological order unless you are only going to get one -- ever. Then probably Seaside, Prosperity or Empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
Hey, Justus! Long time.

As an avid Dominion player of long standing, I'd say go with Prosperity. I also am rather fond of Cornucopia, with its theme of "variety in your deck".

ETA: Get the base game second edition upgrade pack, too. It replaces some of the worse cards in the base game with better ones.

COOL! Thanks man! Long time! Hope all is well out in Houston!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, I suspect I'll do just that, go with Prosperity and then if I decide to add more stuff, I'll start with Seaside, then Intrigue and go chronologically.

Though the idea of variety in the deck ala Cornacopia sounds really interesting me. I've always had a difficult time with the pure ruthless deck thinning that seems to be the best mentality for Dominion, so anything that rewards playing "wrong" sounds fun for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bordelon

Lenoir
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

Though the idea of variety in the deck ala Cornacopia sounds really interesting me. I've always had a difficult time with the pure ruthless deck thinning that seems to be the best mentality for Dominion, so anything that rewards playing "wrong" sounds fun for me.

It's a shame, then, that you aren't looking for a little bit of interaction, because the most recent expansion (Empires) does a bang-up job of making Dominion no longer be about the narrowest deck. The Landmarks and the VP-token cards strongly encourage play-styles that aren't just "rush down the Province pile". Unfortunately for you, that makes for a lot more inter-player interaction, whether it's because a particular Landmark drains first due to clever play, because of the intentionally-highly-interaction Gathering cards, or the couple of new attacks in the set.

I'll put my name in the hat of Hinterlands over Prosperity, if Empires is off the table. I think it's the best "base set plus", and while it has a few attack-y cards, you can just not use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Bordelon wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

It's a shame, then, that you aren't looking for a little bit of interaction, because the most recent expansion (Empires) does a bang-up job of making Dominion no longer be about the narrowest deck. The Landmarks and the VP-token cards strongly encourage play-styles that aren't just "rush down the Province pile". Unfortunately for you, that makes for a lot more inter-player interaction, whether it's because a particular Landmark drains first due to clever play, because of the intentionally-highly-interaction Gathering cards, or the couple of new attacks in the set.

I'll put my name in the hat of Hinterlands over Prosperity, if Empires is off the table. I think it's the best "base set plus", and while it has a few attack-y cards, you can just not use them.

Interesting! Would you go with Empires first if that was an option?

And we'll see about the interaction issue. We intend to play the bleeping hell out of Dominion before getting an expansion. Currently I've edited out all the attack cards out of the deck in playing with my wife, but who knows, maybe when we bring them back into the game she won't mind them once she has a feel for things. (She is after all a vicious Carcasonne player)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bordelon

Lenoir
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

Interesting! Would you go with Empires first if that was an option?

And we'll see about the interaction issue. We intend to play the bleeping hell out of Dominion before getting an expansion. Currently I've edited out all the attack cards out of the deck in playing with my wife, but who knows, maybe when we bring them back into the game she won't mind them once she has a feel for things. (She is after all a vicious Carcasonne player)

I absolutely wouldn't for a relatively new Dominion group, because Empires is complex in a lot of ways. But if you're going to "play the bleeping hell" out of it, you'll probably be at a point where more complexity is a good thing.

A lot of the most recent expansions' interactivity isn't necessarily through direct Attack cards, but through interactions between piles and points and the like; Empires has a lot of this thanks to Landmarks and the Gathering cards.

I still think something like Hinterlands (or Prosperity) is an easier first expansion... but I also think that they don't provide nearly as much variety as Empires, due to their lack of Events and Landmarks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Seaside! Listen to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.