Subject: Concerned about PowerGaming in Smash Up digital edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Jones, yo
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Bonjour Smashours.

Is anyone else a little leery about our beloved card game filtered through the lens of Internet Anonymity? ?! At first I thought it'd be elating to pwn the goddamn 12 year olds that destroy me in CounterStrike by playing a game more suited to my mature, refined tastes-- but I like screwing around with Innsmouth and Vampires, I played a damn Elf+MoC deck last night (Deck Title: "My Nuts to Your Fist Style")... but it went okay because if anyone in my gaming group clamors to play Zombies+Ponies, we just throw full beer cans at him until he takes the hint. We keep it interesting by avoiding the obviously OP stuff. You can't throw full beer cans, nor wine coolers, nor mason jars of homebrew, through the internet. I worry that unless you're willing to stick with Top-Tier combos, you're going to drown in magical horse faeces.

Now you may feel compelled to point out a player could:

A) Play in randomized decks mode
B) Play suboptimal decks and enjoy the occasional sweeter victory
C) Just play with friends, Jesus Christ man relax.

To which I would reasonably respond: NO. I still think online Smash Up could get real tiresome real quick after the umpteenth instance of someone rolling you with Wizard-Bots or those #$%^ing Magic Ponies (paired with... Greeks. As if it matters. Saintspreserveme I loathe those horses), and the game may lose the sense of balance that comes from in-person interaction.

Do you reckon the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i cant remember where i heard it but there was a draft variant that went something like this.

each player picks 1 faction that is in the draft, and 1 faction out, this goes around twice. the reason for this is if someone puts in one half of a broken combo you can take out the second half.

after that you take all "in" factions and start selecting factions as in the rulebook, so first, second, third, third, second, first

if they implemented this i think it would work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Factions aren't created equal.
As a rule of the you must ALWAYS play to win with strangers.
This is true in LoL and on any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Hurley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's no need to go for the win every time. You can always try out unusual combos and see how well they do against the best combos.

Alternatively, play amongst friends or communities like this who you know aren't going to always pick the top choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
desocupado wrote:
Factions aren't created equal.
As a rule of the you must ALWAYS play to win with strangers.
This is true in LoL and on any other game.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
This is my play to win bible lol.
I dont play ANY game for fun. Losing is not fun for me. I play to win. I can understand the mindset of random, I can see where it would appeal to some people. But to me playing random and losing when the rules stated I can pick anything and win. I would rather do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine a draft with strangers...
There are
insumouth and vampíres (which you want to play for some reason) and pirates, robots, zombies and princesses.

If the first pick is robots (due expecting insumouth)
And you take vampires as second pick, you are trolling.
Third would get zombie-princesses
second would get his fishman
first would get pirates

And this was during the draft - similar things happen in LoL (moba)
If you break the seriousness of draft it'll break other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin González
msg tools
desocupado wrote:
vampíres (which you want to play for some reason)

To throw the towel a bit: Vampires are fun as hell. Nothing is more hilarious than looking at your opening hand and see Buffet, then look at your hand after you lose and see Buffet again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Sallee
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
So they are funny because they suck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin González
msg tools
Basically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.