Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is going to be ridiculous and likely considered heretical by rabid fanboys. I've been thinking of this variant for awhile and mentioned it a few times in a couple of other forum posts, always to the sounds of crickets, but whatever. I'm wanting to do this as more an experiment in game design than anything, but I also see potential in it, so I'll see how far I can push this.

Essentially, the idea is to speed up a Kingdom Death campaign to the point that you could potentially finish a campaign in a single night's session. To do this, some major changes are needed:

• Gut the Showdown phase. Not entirely certain how I want to approach the Hunt phase (though I'd want more player interaction), but the Showdown phase essentially becomes abstracted out with quite a bit less dice-rolling (though it's majorly driven by dice-rolling, just not nearly as much). No map board, no minis, no cards, no tokens, no armor, no individual characters, reduced gear, and reduced everything.

• The Monster's stats get reduced down to Attack, Defense, and HP. The Survivors are represented by 4 10-sided dice. At the start of the Showdown, you roll all 4 dice (all survivors are alive). The Monster's Attack represents the minimum # you need to roll for each Survivor to not get killed (you can spend 1 survival each round to reroll 1 survivor die per round). If a survivor/die is killed, you roll with 1 less die the next round. The Monster's Defense represents the number that all of your survivor dice need to total in order to do Wounds. If you don't do enough to Wound the monster, that's one more round of combat your hunting party will have to go through. But even if the party gets down to 1 survivor/die, you'll still get a chance to wound/kill it (at that point 10's become exploding die and you can reroll for more attack rolls. Other gear may influence this).

• Example: Lvl 1 White Lion has 4 atk / 15 def / 4 hp. If you rolled 1, 4, 4, 5, then the 1 die would be in danger of getting killed b/c it was below the monster's atk rating AND b/c the overall sum of the survivor dice rolled was below its def value of 15, you wouldn't do any damage to the monster. However, if you expended 1 survival for the round to re-roll the 1 and got a 5 instead, then that die would survive AND you'd do 1 HP of damage to the monster.

The hunting party gets a total of 4 gear slots: 1 weapon, 1 armor, and 2 other gear slots. Armor & Weapons are used by the entire party, no individual loadouts.

• That kills off a YUGE part of the game (minis and tactical combat), but should hopefully turn the game from an hours long tactics slugfest, into a quicker, lighter settlement-building game. I'm hoping to trim the components down from masses of cards, minis, tokens, boards, etc. down to just a few PnP pages, some cutouts for gear cards, and some dice. Basically I'm trying to abstract out as much as possible, while still keeping some of the theme.

• The Settlement phase gets some worker placement aspects introduced. To do things you need to assign Survivors to get them done, in addition to using up resources. So if you want to build a location, innovate, get intimate, or craft gear, you need to assign survivors to that function (using meeples or tokens). Innovations are rolled for on a chart. Settlement Events are abstracted out to a D10 table. Story events... still need to figured out, but I'd prefer to introduce a bit more randomization in there such that Story Events don't always happen in the same Lantern Years every time, but I'm still working on the mechanics of that.

• Resources are essentially boiled down to 5 categories: bone, hide, organ, scrap, and strange. Rather than getting White Lion resources, or Screaming Antelope resources, or Phoenix resources, etc, I'm just going to boil it down to the essentials. I still need to figure out what the balance is going to be since there's a bit less to build b/c you're not building individual gear loadouts. I'm thinking of adding in maintenance costs to weapons and armor, such that even though you pay resources to build gear, you still have to pay each Lantern Year that you want to equip those, b/c everything degrades over time. Resource management will require alot more playtesting to get working properly, possibly more actions that require resource payments.

• Some WIP screenshots of what I'm working on. I'm hoping to get it down to 4-6 sheets of paper, but we'll see what happens. WARNING, some spoilers, though much of the material is being reworked to go with the reworked Showdown phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea... I hope something comes of it! Subbed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdly, I quite like this idea, though I'm not sure why as it will be such a very different game..... Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was anyone else behind the idea I'd be very doubtful, but given the amazing work you've done on Shadows of Brimstone, this makes very, very interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sai harris
msg tools
Superb idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Weirdly, I quite like this idea, though I'm not sure why as it will be such a very different game..... Good luck!

Yes and no. If this was the game that Poots had pitched on Kickstarter, it wouldn't have made nearly as much (if it was funded at all). A big part of the game is the miniatures and the Showdown phase, so it wouldn't look much like KDM. It's more like Settlers of Catan the boardgame vs Settlers of Catan the dice game. Similar in name & terminology.

But I think a big part of the game does follow the choices you make regarding the development of the Settlement and what kind of people they become. It just tends to get overshadowed by the combat portion to the point where it seems like alot of discussions about the game seem to focus on how to min-max your hunting party (though maybe that happens w any game). I'm hoping, if I can get something compelling enough worked up and I get the Core game converted, to actually go back in and tinker with things to expand what kind of Settlement you end up with. I think there's some possibilities there that don't need to center around just building up your Gear. I'd love to see something where earlier choices influence later decisions you can make, but I don't know how all of that would work yet.

Glad that people are receptive to the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.