Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua N
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [MM] Eminent Domain $16
A good $10 off most prices (CSI = $26.49, Amazon and cardhaus are similar). Good deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shipping does not kill this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Desi

Washington
msg tools
Got my order in, along with the expansion, just in time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snagged the last copy, thanks OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Extreme West
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grabbed one with both expansions (Eminent Domain: Exotica was on clearance for $12) right before bed last night. Glad I did not wait till this morning or I would have slept through it. Thanks OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deal so good I would have taken a 2nd copy if two of my friends didn't also own it!

Pete (resisted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beaglestorm wrote:
Grabbed one with both expansions (Eminent Domain: Exotica was on clearance for $12) right before bed last night. Glad I did not wait till this morning or I would have slept through it. Thanks OP.

Still on clearance. Have you had any experience with either expansion? Was thinking about picking one of them up but wasn't sure which one was better to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrightboy wrote:
beaglestorm wrote:

Still on clearance. Have you had any experience with either expansion? Was thinking about picking one of them up but wasn't sure which one was better to start with.

The first one is the more required one as it gives each of the ship sizes meaning and you get asymmetrical starting planets, tech, decks. Getting the second without the first would be kind of weird. I really do like the first expansion. I have mixed in the second one, but have yet to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I guess the first expansion is "Escalation" which makes the size of ships in the base game have meaning.

The base game says it's appropriate for 10+.
Escalation is 12+.
Battlecruiser is 13+.
And Exotica is NC 17??. (actually 13)

I don't know how pros determine what age group is appropriate. My rule of thumb is:

8+ means players can read and add numbers with relative ease.
10+ means players can strategize.
13+ means players can stay focused.
Anything older is kind of meaningless.

Escalation says 12+. Maybe they are basing the age group on the game's 'heaviness'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dbler wrote:
I don't know how pros determine what age group is appropriate.

I believe that theme also plays into this for at least some publishers. That's the only reason I can figure for why Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is 14+, but Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is 17+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
wamsp wrote:
dbler wrote:
I don't know how pros determine what age group is appropriate.

I believe that theme also plays into this for at least some publishers. That's the only reason I can figure for why Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is 14+, but Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is 17+.

Agreed, but I find that particular example to be a marketing gimmick to make the game seem extra scary to the target audience.

Some of the 'heaviest' games on BGG have an age appropriate rating of 14+. By contrast, the BGG community has voted Legendary Encounters is for 14+ even though the game has a voted 'medium' weight. So I am guessing that the majority of BGG users think the game is graphically disturbing..

By contrast Epic Card Game has some frightening looking zombies (essentially half dead persons with rotting or no skin), and the BGG community says 8+ is perfectly fine.

I guess I am hoping for clarity on the age recommended ratings, but mostly from trusted publishers, based on a clear guideline.

Anyway I bought Eminent Domains this morning thanks to this sale (and thanks to OP!), because it was rated 10+. I will not be buying expansions because they are for older kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I snagged the base+Escalation since I read it improves the game a lot (well-played, MM). Will wait on Exotica to see how well the game goes with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo De Luca
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
dbler wrote:
I guess the first expansion is "Escalation" which makes the size of ships in the base game have meaning.

Escalation is 12+.
Battlecruiser is 13+.

I don't know how pros determine what age group is appropriate. My rule of thumb is:

8+ means players can read and add numbers with relative ease.
10+ means players can strategize.
13+ means players can stay focused.
Anything older is kind of meaningless.

Escalation says 12+. Maybe they are basing the age group on the game's 'heaviness'.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe if the game is not for kids (ie: Haba), it's cheaper to make it say 13+. I think that according to US laws, anything with an intended younger audience has to pass other safety standards as it is considered a toy.

Like I said, I'm not 100% on the details, but I've read something like that before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Extreme West
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might as well grab Eminent Domain: Microcosm for $6.49 as well. It has 8 cards for Eminent Domain (5 unique scenarios + 3 extra Politics cards)included as a promo. So it's like paying $5 for the promo and $1.49 for the game. If you already placed your order it's only 7.99 from Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
If you are interested, there is a paper called "Age Determination Guidelines" available from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission site, but it contains only a brief section called Card, Floor, Board, & Table Games. https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/113962/adg.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbler wrote:
Escalation is 12+.
Battlecruiser is 13+.

Battlecruiser is a different game. Also, this is a rather random thread hijack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
dbler wrote:
Escalation is 12+.
Battlecruiser is 13+.

Battlecruiser is a different game. Also, this is a rather random thread hijack.

Do you care to elaborate on the Battlecruisers ezpansion? Some people are considering buying expansions along with the base game and might benefit from your opinion.
I wouldn't call this a hijack, but rather an opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mb
Eminent Domain: Battlecruisers is not an Eminent Domain expansion. It is a standalone game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Scott_01 wrote:
Eminent Domain: Battlecruisers is not an Eminent Domain expansion. It is a standalone game.

D'oh! I thought he was saying "the expansion is so different that it's like a different game". But now I see it's a totally independent spin off.

Thanks for being patient with me! modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.