Hide
12 Posts

MIND: The Fall of Paradise» Forums » General

Subject: Explain this game to me please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
I do not understand this game at all... it looks cool on a visual level but I thought it was a 1vsMany game where one play plays the AI and the others the human factions.. now the game is split into 3 boxes and I'm like wtf is going on?

Each box is a Solo Game playing as a single faction, right?
When you bring the boxes together you play a competitive game.. is that correct?

So what happened to the AI faction that the game is named after...

etc etc

I would appreciate it if someone explained what the game is as the Kicker page doesn't really help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit lost too.
Vlad, the designer, has been very active and gracious on BGG, and answered my queries.

My take is that MIND is essentially multiplayer solitaire, with an ability to aid or deter your opponents as desired, dependent upon whether you're playing cooperatively or competitively. Resource and action management is the focus. The goal is for each player to gain all five achievements:

Researcher - Have 5 Researches installed in your Colony
Ruler - Have 5 Citizens
Dominator - Have 10 Influence
Builder - Have 4 functional Sectors
Seeker - Have 10 Fate points.

However, I'm still foggy on how the MIND AI hinders the players, and what constraints there are? (Turn limit, etc.?)

Hope this helps, and Vlad can clarify further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hello,

You are right in all your assessments so the confusion is from the fact that currently there is no MIND in the game.

Because I wanted to go into this kickstarter with a doable production with Panda Manufacturing the MIND box (the box you would have to get to play as MIND) has been moved into Stage II of this world. Currently on Kickstarter we are trying to fund Stage I, where there are 4 Factions in a war and humans have yet to activate MIND, the AI. Stage II advances the story and is set in the period when MIND is the overseer of the human empire.

If we manage to kickstart this world I will expand it with more playable Factions, such as MIND and Space Pirates. But because these introduce hard asymmetry they also introduce lots of different components and production problems that I prefer not to have on my first publishing.

Currently the game has soft asymmetry as each Faction is similar, but still different. You get a different colony layout and art, different superpower, scenarios, event cards and leaders. When you play the game you do not feel in the same situation as any other player at the table. Hope these made things a bit more clear.

Thanks a lot Ray for jumping in with explanations. Really appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
So, is the game a competitive game?

Do you have to buy all or at least 2 factions to play multiplayer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you get only 1 Faction then you can play solo. If you have 2 Factions then you can play cooperative or competitive with a friend. Each extra box adds 1 player to the mix.

In cooperative all players need to gain the set of 5 Achievements, and none less, or everyone loses the game. So you have a situation where you are all helping each other and optimizing plays to get all the Achievements.

In competitive the player with the most Achievements wins, and a player can win even with 1 Achievement when all the rest have 0, for example. In competitive the game feels a bit different because of all the take that in the design. You burn each others colonies, sent troops to attack, you sabotage structures or trigger events in their bases. There are many things you can do to each other and it is extremely fun because of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
How does a game end? Specific number of turns, or . . .?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Before the game starts players pick a game length, also called a Victory Type.

There are maximum 7 turns you can play for but usually you will choose to play 3 or 4 turns because lots of things happen during a single turn. You can check out the youtube videos on the kickstarter page that show how a turn goes both in solo and in a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Vlad!

Any reviews forthcoming (soon)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes!

I am eagerly waiting for 2 reviews to finish, from Nick (BoardGameBrawl) and Lance (UndeadViking). I also wanted a review from Rhado but apparently at that time he was too busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
uurrg... both those guys really suck. Pity Rhado didn't have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yep, I know the impact Rhado can have. He is very energetic and professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Rahdo is awesome.
I like Lance too, but Nick is annoying.

Regardless, greatly looking forward to their views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.