Subject: different card colour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr M
Poland
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, guys. Last weekend we've played WotR with the new expansion and we are extremely happy that we bought it. 5 hours struggle won by Free People, but the game was just brilliant.

But.. My wife noticed that the card colour from WoME is much darker (same with minis but i'll paint them.... somedaywhistle). Not a big deal (except battles), but i just wonder is it only me or the whole print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
My guess is it depends on the print run. I even saw two base games with slightly different colors. Maybe all the "newer" materials are somewhat darker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr M
Poland
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
That was a quick answer. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's more pronounced in person, but I can BARELY tell the difference in that pic. Could just be my bad eyes, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr M
Poland
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Could just be my bad eyes, though.

I'm pretty sure that your eyes are ok. I'm just so bad photographer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Piotr - I was so focused on the cards that I didn't even see the minis...AT ALL. whistle The minis are definitely different, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr M
Poland
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Piotr - I was so focused on the cards that I didn't even see the minis...AT ALL. whistle The minis are definitely different, though.

no problem . Anyway, I don't care about the minis, i'm gonna paint them, it's only ..... around 250 minis laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kalo90 wrote:
Hi, guys. Last weekend we've played WotR with the new expansion and we are extremely happy that we bought it. 5 hours struggle won by Free People, but the game was just brilliant.

But.. My wife noticed that the card colour from WoME is much darker (same with minis but i'll paint them.... somedaywhistle). Not a big deal (except battles), but i just wonder is it only me or the whole print?

Wait, what?

I thought the darker shade of units was intentional, with the purpose of differentiating them clearly on the board from Army Units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
kalo90 wrote:

Wait, what?

I thought the darker shade of units was intentional, with the purpose of differentiating them clearly on the board from Army Units?

Yes, the colour difference on the minis is intentional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
kalo90 wrote:

Wait, what?

And, ahem, the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobugath wrote:
Veldrin wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
kalo90 wrote:

Wait, what?

And, ahem, the cards?

The cards are, for obvious reasons, to be the same color but different printings will end up with minor differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hammer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy of LoME had this problem the cards backs are a much darker and purple blue for the FP. This isn't really an issue though because free people's player is usually on the defense and plays second and if they are on the offensive you can pretty much guess that they are playing orderly withdrawal anyway... or valour if they are attacking a stronghold. It still requires you to lean over the card to really tell... so we don't allow people to do that.

The cards from WoME are the same shade as the base game.

Edit: You could buy card sleeves that don't have a clear back. The ones I use are clear though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pretty sure our WoME ards are the same as the base game. Our LoME ones were a bit different, but we don't pay attention to it so it's not a problem for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
Unfortunately my WoME cards have a different card back. I can easily discern if the card came from the base game or not by comparing the back of the cards. I had the same problem with the LoME but for that I got replacement cards from Aries and while the new cards were not an exact match they were close enough. While I understand there will be differences in different print runs, I find it frustrating that they cannot get more consistent print runs of their cards. Sigh, I guess I will ask for replacement for my WoME cards and hope for the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harris
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have too much of an issue with color differences in this game since I don't play it enough for memorizing possible plays by one's opponent to matter. However, the stock is noticeably thicker and differently colored side-on making it very, very obvious where in the deck the new cards are. Fortunately they're the same size and they're close enough in thickness that shuffling isn't impeded.

But players are certainly going to easily be aware of when factions-related events are likely to be drawn form the main event decks which seems troubling. :\

LOME had minor color variations but the cards were fundamentally the same material. I know to a point color variations are inevitable and the particular copy I received was much closer than games which have caused me to complain. The thickness difference in WOME is a big issue for me, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm wondering if there was an initial print run - I noticed a post a while back about one of the GenCon purchases being badly cut.

Ours is one bought in the UK on release, and the cards seem indistinguishable from the base game to me. Same colour, same quality.

I also wonder if different printings of the base game might have variation? Maybe mine is more recent, so it matches the new expansion? We might be comparing apples with apples and apples with oranges in that case. Meaning the WoME cards we have are the identical but our base games are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harris
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has definitely been a change in thickness and its entirely likely that more recent base game printings are the same as WOME.

Personally I'd be happy if I could drop $20 and get updated LOME and base game decks that match the most recent card stock. But not being able to even buy my way out of the problem without buying the *entire* game and expansion over is a bit disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.