4,338 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
27.3% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools

Got this game a few days ago and directly dived into the Delve Quest solo with 2 Characters and it was all fun and kind of easy till that abomination thingy came out surprise

So I was at nearly at full health with both characters, had a clear board when I suddenly fight against a 4 Shield/25 Health Monster and I'm not supposed to heal anymore and therefore making two of my equipments useless (both legendary Waywatcher armor/Ironbreaker axe)... I get the slow grind you are supposed to feel fighting this monster but it is no fun imo and I did three rounds of dealing him 5 damage or so (getting 5 in return), took a deep breath, ended the game...

Kind of disappointed as this wasn't the climax I was hoping for.

Please give me little hope it's worth starting the campaign (intended to do so with my girlfriend and 4 characters to get to know em all) or otherwise this will directly go to the trade pile whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played the delve quest but I am in the middle of three campaigns. A solo, two player and three player campaigns. We are about to start the last quest in our three player campaign. I love it. My boys love it. We are at about a 50/50 split on quest wins/loses. The abomination is a pain in the campaign but with the help of the cannon we got him right before the quest ended. The three player campaign so far has been the most fun. You really have to work together and aiding the right player at the right time becomes so important. Basically what I am saying is I don't think you will be disappointed in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
Thanks Tony! I guess I'm just fishing for new motivation and your post already helps 3 characters with 2 players won't work though but it got me thinking about a 3 characters solo campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game, but have been following the reviews and some of the feedback has been that it is much harder with two characters. There is another post in the forums from someone else who recommends using three characters in solo play.

I hope it works out for you... Especially since I know that it is sitting in the shrink in my upstairs closet as an upcoming present for me. My three kids are already fighting over who gets to play the waywatcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
I did play with 2 and actually it wasn't hard at all as I got a legendary outfit in like the first three rounds that deals 1 damage to my encounters if they do attack me. Even without that outfit I would have prefered an increased difficulty. My issue was that the final encounter was plain boring fighting against and I couln't motivate myself to end this game as it was sooooo slow so for now I can't tell if I would have made it against the domination.

But I tell you one thing. You will definitely enjoy the game with your kids. I think this game is made to guide kids through the adventure and still have fun as an adult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest with the abomination during the campaign is pretty well done. I played the campaign through with another player and we each had two characters. We both really enjoyed it and the tension during some of the quests was ridiculous. The abomination fits in really well with the campaign, so I wouldn't worry too much about not enjoying the campaign because you didn't like the way it shows up in the delve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
Thanks Jesse this should push me towards playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the victory condition in the delve quest I wouldn't fight the abomination at all...

...doesn't change it being a pain the ass however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suxx wrote:
Thanks Jesse this should push me towards playing it.

No problem. The campaign is worth a play since you've already got the game. Notably, there is an item in the quest with the abomination that greatly helps bring it down while still building tension. It's not just a grindfest simply to deal it any kind of damage.

As far as solo goes, playing three heroes is the way to go. I hope you enjoy the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the delve quest, the Abomination is pretty much unkillable. Imagine a giant robot covered in razors that wants to give you a heartfelt hug every few minutes.

My own complaints about the Abomination in the delve quest can be found in this thread.

My main question is whether the designer actually intended the Abomination to spawn on a black die nemesis result in the delve quest, or whether the Abomination should only officially spawn with the red event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suxx wrote:
But I tell you one thing. You will definitely enjoy the game with your kids. I think this game is made to guide kids through the adventure and still have fun as an adult.

I think it depends on whether you like your kids.

This game is absolutely brutal. If playing with kids, before starting, I'd give everyone a free (random) action upgrade and a random piece of legendary gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
In the delve quest, the Abomination is pretty much unkillable.

Again: don't try to kill it. The victory condition is to fully explore the last site. Focus on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
Mad Math wrote:
wkover wrote:
In the delve quest, the Abomination is pretty much unkillable.

Again: don't try to kill it. The victory condition is to fully explore the last site. Focus on that.

OK ehhhhm I didn't knew that haha holy moly coolcoolcool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
wkover wrote:
In the delve quest, the Abomination is pretty much unkillable. Imagine a giant robot covered in razors that wants to give you a heartfelt hug every few minutes.

My own complaints about the Abomination in the delve quest can be found in this thread.

My main question is whether the designer actually intended the Abomination to spawn on a black die nemesis result in the delve quest, or whether the Abomination should only officially spawn with the red event.

I think the designer intended it to spawn early but yeah now that I know I don't have to kill it I should have went for the ending angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suxx wrote:

So I was at nearly at full health with both characters, had a clear board...

So try again: sounds like this could have been a win if you started exploring from there.

Good luck and have a nice delve !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for making that clear. I had the approach of reading everything when I was supposed to in order to not giving me any spoilers but I guess I should have read those winning conditions. When that thing popped out I was totally focused on killing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Last weekend, I also played the delve quest... and the team seemed intended on killing the abomination no matter what... even when this isn't needed. It's really becoming boring if that is all you do (and all other enemies are gone of course)
Because, yes, you are going to kill it... but yes, it's going to take a long long time.
ps. you mentioned something about not being able to heal anymore? What do you mean with that? I don't see any rules that mention not being able to heal when the Abomination hits the Streets, let alone when you hit the red peril.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
egg_citizen wrote:
ps. you mentioned something about not being able to heal anymore? What do you mean with that? I don't see any rules that mention not being able to heal when the Abomination hits the Streets, let alone when you hit the red peril.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/32/46...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
suxx wrote:
egg_citizen wrote:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/32/46...

devil

That makes it clear... didn't know about that. DOES make sense... though then the abomination REALLY is an abominable foe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this Quest the other day, Abomination came out, everything was well under control (even as first time players) so me and another player argued for killing the Abomination. Eventually we just quit playing since we were making progress but it wasn't fun anymore.

Even as first time players though, we questioned, "Where was the timer? Where's the pressure? Oh, I guess these Nemesis creatures are the timer..."

Very poor playtesting on FFG's part, I'd say. Nothing worse than an easy coop. Granted, there was 4 of us, so that might have made things easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
BlueJackal wrote:
Even as first time players though, we questioned, "Where was the timer? Where's the pressure? Oh, I guess these Nemesis creatures are the timer..."
Very poor playtesting on FFG's part, I'd say. Nothing worse than an easy coop. Granted, there was 4 of us, so that might have made things easier.

I definitely agree and the FAQ didn't solve the issue for us.

That's why in the end we have stopped to play the Delve Quest as it is and we now play only the Delve Quest variant which mix the heroes progression of the delve quest with the climatic and thematic feeling from the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Alvarado

Sacramento
California
msg tools
Agreed. I've only done the Delve quests and the Abomination can just be slow grinded over like 10-15 turns w/o us really taking any damage... Today got to the point we just skipped the Abom when he was summoned out of his Lair after we did the mathhammer. Then we just go through the remainder of the Locations w/o any real interesting climax.

It's a shame, b/c I don't think I'll be able to do a campaign, that's why I've just done Delve quest. But thankfully I'm now seeing the variants on these forums!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheesesteak7 wrote:
Today got to the point we just skipped the Abom when he was summoned out of his Lair after we did the mathhammer.

I'm not quite sure that I follow. How can you skip the Abomination when he engages heroes whenever a hero is about to attack or explore?

Also, whenever he engages a hero he does damage, right?

And since there's no cannon in the Delve quest, how is anyone killing the Abomination (given his high armor rating) without a lucky draw of legendary gear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.