Subject: Starter League #13 (October) - COMPLETE (Base Set + Dark City) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Reference wrote:
This league is COMPLETE.

1st Place: GrandMasterFox
2nd Place: ahab105

Only the Legendary Base Set and Dark City expansions are allowed.

November's League will feature Fear Itself, with the first match due on November 7th. The Villains base set is not required for play.

Welcome to another month and another Starter League! If you've been looking to play in one of the Legendary Leagues here on the site, but you've only got the base set, and maybe an expansion or two, I'm here for you!

If you're new to the "Starter Leagues," these are going to be limited to the Heroes Base Set and up to 1 Expansion. Each league will run for only 3 matches, reducing the amount of time you'll need to finish or catch up if you need to. A new league will start each month, so you'll always have an opportunity to play! Winners gain the ability to set the terms for a future league.

Format
A new Starter league will be posted near the beginning of each month. Some leagues will only use a base set, while others may include 1 expansion set as well. There will be 3 matches in the league, so that it will end within the same month. Each match will have a randomly determined setup, allowing you to pick some of the heroes you'll use to fight the Mastermind.

In Match 1 and 3, you'll pick 2 heroes from those available in the league's sets.
In Match 2, you'll pick 1 hero.

(You can only pick a hero once, so you can't choose to include Spider-Man in Match 1 and 2, for example. The app will present you with a list of options and automatically filter out your previous selections when you attempt to post your results so you don't mess it up.)

Results will be ranked using the Points Per Turn method. So rather than calculating your score using the formula in the back of the rulebook, the app will determine the average amount of points you earned over the number of turns you played the game. Accumulating points as you defeat the Mastermind quickly is key!

More information about the ranking can be seen on the website.

How to Play
To play, head over to http://www.legendaryleagues.com and register an account if you need one using the link in the top right. Then, after logging in, select the league from the front page, then click the Register button from the league details screen!

All games will be played using the Advanced Solo Rules from the Dark City expansion. If you don't have it, those rules (and some other clarifications) are listed on the website. Also, look out for match specific clarifications at the bottom of each match block!

You should only play each match once and report your results.

You'll need to keep track of the following to report your results:
Did you win? (Generally, this means did you defeat the mastermind, but some Schemes have alternate win conditions, like Forge the Infinity Gauntlet.)
How many victory points are in your victory pile?
How many twists did you draw during the match? (And stayed out, in case some get shuffled back in the deck. Also, do not count any twists that started in play.)
How many enemies escaped?
How many bystanders were carried away by enemies?
How many rounds did it take for you to finish the match?
Which non-random heroes did you use?

Prizes

The player who finishes in 1st place will get to choose the expansion included in the month after next's league. (So December, not November.)

You have Dark City and want to use that? Okay. You only got the Guardians expansion? No problem. Want to spice it up and mix in the Villains set? I like your style. Civil War! Chimichangas!

The player who finishes in 2nd place will get to choose one card/group from the Mastermind's side to guarantee as included or excluded in the match of their choice.

You hate the Negative Zone, and don't want it used as a scheme? I don't blame you. Let's pitch it. You love the Nega-Bomb? So do I! It's in! You think using Dark City demands fighting Apocalypse in Match 2 where the players have less choice? Wow, that's hard core, but okay.

As always, let me know if you have any questions, and have fun playing!

Match Lineup:

Match 1 - Due Monday night, Oct 10, 2016
Mastermind: Apocalypse
Scheme: Transform Citizens into Demons
Villain Group: Underworld
Heroes in the Villain Deck: Jean Grey
Henchmen: (3) Maggia Goons
Heroes: Wolverine (X-Force)
You may select 2 additional Heroes from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 34
Max VP: 150
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Underworld, 3 Maggia Goons, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 14 Jean Grey

Notes: Apocalypse gives +2 attack to the villain group in this match. Apocalypse wins if all unique members of that group escape.

Match 2 - Due Monday night, Oct 17, 2016
Mastermind: Kingpin
Scheme: X-cutioner's Song
Villain Group: Streets of New York
Heroes in the Villain Deck: Colossus
Henchmen: (3) Phalanx
Heroes: Professor X , Elektra
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 26
Max VP: 98
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Streets of New York, 3 Phalanx, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 14 Colossus

Match 3 - Due Monday night, Oct 24, 2016
Mastermind: Mr. Sinister
Scheme: Steal The Weaponized Plutonium
Villain Group: Mutant Liberation Front , Marauders
Henchmen: (3) Maggia Goons
Heroes: Forge
You may select 2 additional Heroes from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 21
Max VP: 114
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Mutant Liberation Front, 8 Marauders, 3 Maggia Goons, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dickinson
msg tools
Re: Starter League #13 (October) - NOW OPEN (Base Set + Dark City)
Im in, and submitted already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is one of the craziest games I've ever played.

After seeing how potent Black Widow always is, this scheme seemed to cry out for her.

I was very nervous because out of the first 8 draws I drew two scheme twists and three of the 5 cost Jean Grey heroes. Luckily the first one was a Maggia goon. I thought I was going to go out like a punk that quickly.

But fortune smiled upon me, and I was able to get two of the Black Widow +1F per bystander cards fairly early on. From there it was a cake walk. The giant stack of goblins went away and Black Widow got super pumped up.

Sadly, I only triggered the Apocalypse "rescue bystanders and then reshuffle this tactic in if it's not the last one" once.

It was pretty much the Black Widow + Wolverine show. Iron Man was kind of watching from the sideline, but his draw 1 + draw 1 if tech card was useful if only because it let me proc the Black Widow rescue a bystander on HER draw 1 card.

I'm actually sad that on my last turn when I had over 80 force that I hit the last Apocalypse tactic first -- I'd have loved to kept hitting the reshuffled one again and again and again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corran Thorn
msg tools
mb
I'm registered as well. Super exciting, thanks for setting this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Just making sure it's not a mistake, Jean Grey is selected for both match 1 and 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Martin
United Kingdom
Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Just making sure it's not a mistake, Jean Grey is selected for both match 1 and 3?

Technically, yes however please be aware that she's in the villain deck in Match 1 and is the pre-chosen hero in Match 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:

She's in the villain deck per the scheme in mission 1 and then an active hero in 3. So technically she's in both missions, but in two different roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and as fun insanely overpowered as it would be to legally allow Jean to end up being used in all 3 matches, I'm going to go ahead and change that. Forge has entered the arena!

Jean got added in to match #1 when I had to make sure that we were using the schemes that hadn't been selected yet and Transform Citizens into Demons came up. Sorry for the oversight on my part, and thanks for bringing to my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify:

If we use Black Widow in Round 1, the "Goblin Demons" stacked next to the scheme are Villains and *NOT* Bystanders captured by Apocalypse (which affects her Silent Sniper card), but when defeated they are once again Bystanders in the Victory Pile which empowers her Covert Operation card, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
Just to clarify:

If we use Black Widow in Round 1, the "Goblin Demons" stacked next to the scheme are Villains and *NOT* Bystanders captured by Apocalypse (which affects her Silent Sniper card), but when defeated they are once again Bystanders in the Victory Pile which empowers her Covert Operation card, correct?

Correct. They are stacked separately, and Apocalypse hasn't captured them. Defeating a goblin from the stack will trigger any "rescue" effects on the Bystander card. Once in your VP pile, they count as normal Bystanders.

Scheme wrote:
Twist: Stack 5 Bystanders face down next to the Scheme. Bystanders stacked here are "Demon Goblin" Villains. They have 2 Attack. Players can fight these Demon Goblins to rescue them as Bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dickinson
msg tools
Might as well talk a little about mine. I kept drawing through my entire deck, combo-ing Wolverine cheap draws off each other. My main problem was I couldn't get any of the KO cards that mattered. I got Healing Factor, but none of Prof X's showed up or X-Force Wolverine's. The only KO I got was from 2 Goons and 2 other Villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the second time I've ever emptied the bystander deck.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I used Elektra with Black Widow. Black Widow is an obvious choice here, but she can lack in recruit and thus be a bit slow to get going. I took Elektra as one of her commons combos off of covert for recruit (and is Instinct so boosts Wolverine's cheap common), and the other is a cheap covert that can help trigger Dangerous Rescue. Her cards cards are cheap so you can cycle the HQ quickly to get to those Covert Operation cards. I also thought her Marvel Knights affiliation would come in handy for Blackheart but I finished in 12 turns and never saw him.

Awesome game. Thanks for organising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Martin
United Kingdom
Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, this was one of my best games ever but still didn't clinch first place!

Black Widow was a gimme for this and teaming her up with Deadpool allowed me to grab bystanders quickly and boost my stars (Here, Hold This For a Second). Also picked up the save 6 bystanders tactic card a couple of times, so got all 41 bystanders after that it was just a case of waiting for Covert Operation to appear in my hand!

Think this is the first time I've beaten Apocalypse surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Boshell
United States
Haleyville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize this is my first league game. just signed up and ready to go but one question.

In Week one the villain is Apocalypse his ALWAYS LEADS is 4 Horsemen but they are not shown in the villian decklist

Do I add them or not?

Thank you for any input

Ray/Islanddoc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also have a question. There are heroes required to play for specific matches. Does that mean they are excluded for another match? For example, Forge is required for match 3, can I still use him for match 1 or 2? My first reaction to this would be no because you can only use each hero once. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islanddoc wrote:
I apologize this is my first league game. just signed up and ready to go but one question.

In Week one the villain is Apocalypse his ALWAYS LEADS is 4 Horsemen but they are not shown in the villian decklist

Do I add them or not?

Thank you for any input

Ray/Islanddoc

In the rules for solo play, you are not required to use the "Always Leads" Villains. I assume the creator of the scenario chose to set it up with this exception in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darreb510 wrote:
I also have a question. There are heroes required to play for specific matches. Does that mean they are excluded for another match? For example, Forge is required for match 3, can I still use him for match 1 or 2? My first reaction to this would be no because you can only use each hero once. Is that correct?

You can select Forge for Match 1 or 2. You cannot choose a hero twice, but you can still choose a hero that was designated for another match when you have a free choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islanddoc wrote:

Do I add them or not?

Thank you for any input

Ray/Islanddoc

If you are using the advanced solo rules, you can replace the "always leads" group, but confer the bonus to that group onto the group you are using.

For example, in this scenario you would use the Underworld villains but give them the +2 bonus that comes from Apocalypse AND if four uniquely named Underworld villains escape, Apocalypse wins.

That make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Boshell
United States
Haleyville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does thanks for the fast response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt is right on both of these. The note exists under match 1 about the "Always Leads" group because the villain group isn't always the Horsemen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with Narfbuster, I think this may have been the first time I've beaten Apocalypse! It was also my highest score ever! Unfortunately, it took me 24 rounds which placed me in my familiar spot: inside the bottom 2 of the rankings. It was a slow start since I had some strong Villains arrive early. My first seven Villains were: 10 (3+7 - Dracula caught Deadpool's rare), 7 (Jean+demons), 3, 5, 3, 5, 6 (Jean+demons).

I went with Black Widow and Deadpool and found all three of the Heroes worked really well together. Unfortunately, Widow's Covert Operation was buried in the Hero Deck so I didn't get that particular card until round #16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the most leisurely fight with Apocalypse, ever.

Thanks, Jean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, I scored Domino's rare early and picked up Cables soon after. Ended up hitting Apocalypse six times drawing Immortal and Undefeated twice. Jean escaped three times and had filled the city when I drew 31///.
I was amazed to see everyone's scores and how quickly you defeated It!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Martin
United Kingdom
Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Match 2 was another good game for me.
I got pretty lucky and my first 2 or 3 were Scheme Twists or Master Strikes!
Elektra isn't a hero I use often but I was pleasantly surprised by some of her combos.

Elektra formed the base of my deck with her cheap 1 attack +1 if played first card working well with her 'Draw a card. +2 stars if you played red before'. Nightcrawler worked well as he had plenty of red and yellow cards and as an X-Men hero helped with Prof X's cards. Mainly used Prof X to KO grey cards. Picking up Nightcrawler's rare early on made this game much easier as I could teleport it and other powerful cards in addition to drawing another 6 cards. Which gave me some massive attack/recruit power!
It would have been fun to get Prof X's rare and utilise some of the high attack villians in this setup but it never come up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Widow was a no brainer for the first one. Ended up with 26 bystanders in the end and used that to clean house multiple times. Surprised myself by currently coming in 2nd place in the rankings. By far the furthest up I've ever been.

2nd match was a little more of a mixed bag. Went with Spider man since all of his cards cost 2 and he combos well with elektra's card draw and +1 for all cards that cost 1 and 2 played this turn. Unfortunately, the deck had other plans as the couple of turns I got the +1 for each 1 and 2 cost card out, I had a handful of starter heroes or very little way to get more cards in my hand. Still won, just took longer than I wanted and didn't ko as many of the villains as I'd hoped.

It's also worth mentioning that Legendary was on my 10 x 10 challenge this year and these two matches were my 9th and 10th for it. One more game checked off the list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.