Subject: Will Corsica favour 2-player games due to its tightness? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pup Selchen
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is asking the obvious - I have never played Concordia so I cannot assess this. I plan to mainly play in 2-player constellations, thus the significance of my question. Another question would be, whether Corsica will still fit 5 players as well or whether it's rather a "specialized" map for lower player counts.

Thanks for any ideas and cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like with many games, the smaller the map, the more suited it is to lower player count (and vice-versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps are designed to work better with different player counts depending on the size. At the extreme ends, the game doesn't work very well if you ignore that. (2p on germania, or 5p on corsica will not be much fun for most people. But the game would still function.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cedar Creek
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
If the game description can be believed, it will:

Quote:
Both maps can be played at all player counts, but Corsica is especially meant for two or three players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Concordia, players may build on the same city as other players, but the cost is increased based upon the number of players who have built there previously. In a typical game, players build their first few cities at the base cost, but begin to pay higher prices as more cities become occupied. That race to build cheaply is one of the tensions in the game.

So, if you have only two players on a large map, the players might build away from each other and never face the tension of increased building costs. Conversely, if five players play on a small map (with fewer cities), everyone will face increased building costs more rapidly.

In either case, the mechanisms of the game still work fine. However, the balance of the design will be pushed toward more or less confrontation than a typical game. Players who want greater confrontation should put more players on a tight map. Players who want "Pax Concordia" could play with two players on a large map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
In Concordia, players may build on the same city as other players, but the cost is increased based upon the number of players who have built there previously. In a typical game, players build their first few cities at the base cost, but begin to pay higher prices as more cities become occupied. That race to build cheaply is one of the tensions in the game.

So, if you have only two players on a large map, the players might build away from each other and never face the tension of increased building costs. Conversely, if five players play on a small map (with fewer cities), everyone will face increased building costs more rapidly.

In either case, the mechanisms of the game still work fine. However, the balance of the design will be pushed toward more or less confrontation than a typical game. Players who want greater confrontation should put more players on a tight map. Players who want "Pax Concordia" could play with two players on a large map.
I'm not sure that I'd put it as "confrontation", there's certainly fierce competition for access to affordable cities and an increasing priority placed on cashflow in games where there are lower citylayer ratios and I guess it could be played in an antagonistic manner - but I generally find that deliberately trying to screw somebody in Concordia leads to a sub-optimal play for oneself (but not always).

A very loose game of Concordia would have a citylayer ratio approaching 15:1, whereas a tight game of Concordia would have that ratio approaching 7:1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.