Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got a great deal on almost 20 consecutive years of MHQ (Military History Quarterly) hardbacks for less than a dollar a volume. I see this publication as a great adjunct to my S&T collection, in fact, I kind of view it as a S&T without the games. How is MHQ viewed by those 'in the know'?

I'd be interested in what the opinions of gamers are in the article selection, veracity and readability of the publication. I see it as an extension of my gaming collection as there would be few articles that wouldn't relate to some game that I could pull out.
Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
I recently got a great deal on almost 20 consecutive years of MHQ (Military History Quarterly) hardbacks for less than a dollar a volume. I see this publication as a great adjunct to my S&T collection, in fact, I kind of view it as a S&T without the games. How is MHQ viewed by those 'in the know'?

I'd be interested in what the opinions of gamers are in the article selection, veracity and readability of the publication. I see it as an extension of my gaming collection as there would be few articles that wouldn't relate to some game that I could pull out.
Thanks in advance.

My concern is the infrequency of printing 4 issues a year and the ease that Historynet has cancelled other publications at a whim with more subscribers. I guess at the cost you were able to get it at then it is worth the risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great pick up Don! I like the volumes I have of MHQ. Good reads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yeah, they're great reads, and from what few I did have and read, then many contained possible 'game inspirations'-topics for what isn't readily available, just as of yet. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MHQ is excellent--easily the best military magazine on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark

Coralville
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, it is academic level.

Ancient Warfare and Medieval Warfare magazines are also very good, as are WW II Quarterly and Civil War Quarterly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cccjclark27 wrote:
Yes, it is academic level.

Ancient Warfare and Medieval Warfare magazines are also very good, as are WW II Quarterly and Civil War Quarterly.

I agree. I am really enjoying my sub to Medieval Warfare. A surprising amount of variety that has really opened my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ancient and Medieval Warfare, also the newly released Ancient History - very informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett W
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
statman8 wrote:

That is a great purchase, congratulations. I've read most of the print run and it was my favorite magazine. Many of the authors are excellent. One worth pointing out as a great prose writer is Thomas Fleming. You'll find his articles in many of the issues. Often some article so intrigues that I'll find a game on the topic to flesh out my understanding. That does make it similar to your S&T magazines. You'll not be disappointed with your findthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Since I originally posted I found volumes 20-23 on eBay so I have the first 23 volumes complete. I find the articles a bit more engaging than S&T because they don't get so bogged down with organizational charts and other dry explanations. That's not a slam on S&T just a refreshing approach. I've been reading 1-2 articles a night before going to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
statman8 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

My concern is the infrequency of printing 4 issues a year and the ease that Historynet has cancelled other publications at a whim with more subscribers. I guess at the cost you were able to get it at then it is worth the risk.

What risk? Historynet isn't going to send ninja commandos to take away his books, are they?

Are they??? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
Thanks. Since I originally posted I found volumes 20-23 on eBay so I have the first 23 volumes complete. I find the articles a bit more engaging than S&T because they don't get so bogged down with organizational charts and other dry explanations. That's not a slam on S&T just a refreshing approach. I've been reading 1-2 articles a night before going to sleep.

Old S&T prided itself on condensing a books worth of info into their articles and charts, so it often can seem like a cram course in each subject.

I only have a single volume of MHQ, but you have put it onto my list for further exploration.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.