$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 66.14

4,648 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 player game with betrayer - Easy 2nd exile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb

3 player game, the betrayer has been exiled.

4th or whatever round, 1st player has their turn, has the pieces for his secret objective, gets the final piece to complete the main objective, calls to exile player two (succeeds since 1st player decides draws) and wins the game.

Is there a rule to stop this? seems too easy to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no need to have a rule to prevent this. Player one doesn't even need to exile player two. If they complete the main objective, the game ends and they win...just player two could win also if they have met their secret objective. If you play with "friends" that would exile you so that you don't have a chance of winning also, then you need new friends.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you guys misread. He's asking about, in a situation where one non-betrayer has been exiled, how to stop the betrayer from exiling the second non-betrayer easily on his turn. The obvious answer would be to be more careful about who you exile in the first place.

Also, an exiled betrayer CAN still tank the colony but they don't have any explicit reason to. Once they're exiled their victory condition no longer requires morale at 0.

Edit: actually I misread. Yeah the guy above me has it right, you're playing with an asshole imo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
I think you guys misread. He's asking about, in a situation where one non-betrayer has been exiled, how to stop the betrayer from exiling the second non-betrayer easily on his turn.

No he isn't. He said that the betrayer was exiled. It's a non-betrayer voting out a non-betrayer that he's asking about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Graham, that's an interesting point, damn!!!

I was trying to think of a scoring system for two consecutive games to promote people to be clever about winning whilst denying others a victory.

Makes for an interesting style of play in the 2nd game depending on score in game 1.

Unfortunately with so many secret objectives (24) its pretty hard to figure out a player's strategy.

I like more of a semi-coop/competitive game, not a pure coop. I don't want to hear someone say "hey guys don't finish yet I haven't completed my secret mission."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely true that in a 3-player game with an exiled betrayer, one of the non-betrayers can safely and automatically exile the other non-betrayer if they are the current First Player. However, playing with the standard rules, there is no reason to ever do that. Whether or not Player 2 wins the game has no effect on whether or not Player 1 wins the game.

Now, if you want to introduce some kind of variant where there's a score that's kept over a series of games, and you get more points for "winning alone", then the standard game rules aren't going to work unless you make some changes. You may want to change the Exile rule to be that ties can't be broken, for example.

Quote:
I like more of a semi-coop/competitive game, not a pure coop. I don't want to hear someone say "hey guys don't finish yet I haven't completed my secret mission."


Well, you'll never hear someone say that in my play group. One of the main reasons we don't say that is because the person saying that could be a betrayer. We don't trust anyone. But even if we have already exiled the betrayer, we don't talk like that when we play. We never talk about our secret objectives -- what they are, whether or not we've completed them, how close we are, etc. We take the "don't reveal your secret objectives" rules very seriously, probably more seriously than most. If someone that didn't know the game were watching us play, they wouldn't even know that we had secret objectives until the end of the game. They might think that some of us were doing some weird things during the game, but that's it. "Oh, so that's why you were putting up barricades in weird places!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
It's definitely true that in a 3-player game with an exiled betrayer, one of the non-betrayers can safely and automatically exile the other non-betrayer if they are the current First Player. However, playing with the standard rules, there is no reason to ever do that. Whether or not Player 2 wins the game has no effect on whether or not Player 1 wins the game.

Now, if you want to introduce some kind of variant where there's a score that's kept over a series of games, and you get more points for "winning alone", then the standard game rules aren't going to work unless you make some changes. You may want to change the Exile rule to be that ties can't be broken, for example.

Quote:
I like more of a semi-coop/competitive game, not a pure coop. I don't want to hear someone say "hey guys don't finish yet I haven't completed my secret mission."


Well, you'll never hear someone say that in my play group. One of the main reasons we don't say that is because the person saying that could be a betrayer. We don't trust anyone. But even if we have already exiled the betrayer, we don't talk like that when we play. We never talk about our secret objectives -- what they are, whether or not we've completed them, how close we are, etc. We take the "don't reveal your secret objectives" rules very seriously, probably more seriously than most. If someone that didn't know the game were watching us play, they wouldn't even know that we had secret objectives until the end of the game. They might think that some of us were doing some weird things during the game, but that's it. "Oh, so that's why you were putting up barricades in weird places!"


I completely agree and second your "serious" take on the "First rule about secret objectives is don't talk about your secret objective."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.