Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this cool announcement about a new regular boardgaming column in the Guardian. I clicked through to the new column and eventually ended up looking at this image of a game library belonging to a boardgame café in England (Oxford?).

I only glanced at the image for a short while, but something caught my eye, and made me do a double-take. How about you? Does anything about this game café library seem odd to you?

Link to the article:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/25/board-gam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
The lack of 18xx? That's odd.

The feather Boa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
The lack of 18xx? That's odd.

Haha- nope.

MWChapel wrote:

The feather Boa?

I don't see that. Where is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk legacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Well, I suppose it's odd to have Risk Legacy in a board game cafe But more importantly, SOME BOXES ARE FACING THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They need more shelving.
They need to be closer to where I live, or one like it.
I didn't see any FFG games which might be a minor heresy.

I also hope there's a pub nearby, but there should at least be a sign pointing to where it is in the picture!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punch-It Entertainment
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same way with my Collection, gotta have them all facing the right direction.

Risk: Legacy does seem strange to have there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
Risk legacy?

That's it! I can't figure how it would make sense to have that title in a game café library.

I guess maybe the owners saw it as a way to expose folks to a cool game that they might not otherwise know about. But on the flip side, how cool would it seem to the uninitiated patron if he opens the box, only to find out someone has written all over the board and torn up the cards. Yeah- it just seems like an odd choice all around, in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Operation seems to be a bit out of place, even if it is a "classic".

Otherwise I missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
PunchIt wrote:

Why? Once the scenarios are complete, you just have an interesting RISK that you can play in perpetuity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps things are different in England, but you would be hard-pressed to find anyone here who considers Wasabi a "classic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arranged somewhat by publisher? All the Queen and DoW games are forming a nice, juicy block of OCD in the light strategy section ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
PunchIt wrote:

Why? Once the scenarios are complete, you just have an interesting RISK that you can play in perpetuity.

But you would have one group play the first scenario, then another group comes in after they're done and they want to play it, then another group. No single group is going to get the legacy experience out of it and each group after the first is going to look at the scribbled up board and torn up cards and ask- "What is going on with this game? Are we allowed to write all over all the games here? Why?"

It really seems like a bad choice for this environment. To me anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
TIM0THY wrote:
"What is going on with this game? Are we allowed to write all over all the games here? Why?"

Are those the same people who are going to ask why there are all these games that aren't Monopoly and Risk? It's a game cafe, not my mom's house. I'm pretty sure people who frequent them are not going to wonder that.

Now the feather Boa...that's a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dukane wrote:
Risk legacy?

surely that can't be reason enough to make a thread about it, must be something bigger. stared at the image for 30 minutes now trying to spot a reflection of a penis or something.... i give up zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You won't believe what happened next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Busen Memo?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
It's a game cafe, not my mom's house. I'm pretty sure people who frequent them are not going to wonder that.

Meaning they're more informed about the state of modern boardgaming, in which case they would be wondering, "What am I supposed to do with this half-played copy of Risk Legacy? Why did this café waste their money on a game that only one small group of players can experience properly? If they wanted to offer me a variation on the theme of Risk, why didn't they call it good with Risk Godstorm and Star Wars Risk and 2210 AD?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Well, I suppose it's odd to have Risk Legacy in a board game cafe But more importantly, SOME BOXES ARE FACING THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!
surprise ALL of those upon their SIDE will most likely then have their 'components' DUMPED into one lone, great PILED-up 'mess', and required 'pre-sorting' these prior with commencing PLAY! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
TIM0THY wrote:
Why did this café waste their money on a game that only one small group of players can experience properly? If they wanted to offer me a variation on the theme of Risk, why didn't they call it good with Risk Godstorm and Star Wars Risk and 2210 AD?"

I question their decision to have any version of Risk. I mean, why waste your money when they really could have had a copy of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons.

I mean, no counting for taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I question their decision to have any version of Risk.

I'm with you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Operation seems to be a bit out of place, even if it is a "classic".

Otherwise I missed it.

I went to a board game cafe a few weeks ago (I didn't like the experience whatsoever) and we had this group of 6 ~25-35 year olds next to us, who were playing "the classics" like Clue, Operation, Heads Up, and just other stuff, and were screaming at the top of their lungs in hilarity the entire time. They never stopped screaming. I've never seen people having more fun in my life.. to see a 30 year old playing Operation like it was life or death and all his group were touching their face like "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" and them him missing and them all SCREAMING with laughter... over, and over, and over again... it was very disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come off it. Operation is a very high quality drinking game!

Pete (thinks after four drinks the spare rib is an impossibility)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
You won't believe what happened next!

That's funny. You're right- the title does read that way, doesn't it? I didn't consider that when I wrote it. I guess that means this thread will get lots of clicks. Maybe I should consider a career in internet marketing. I'm sure I'd do well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it's possible that a group of regulars at the cafe bought Risk Legacy and left it there rather than carrying it back and forth...

Pete (speculates)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.