2 Posts

The Old Ball Game» Forums » General

Subject: Overview of gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Thompson
msg tools
publisher
The Old Ball Game centres on Pitching - the heart of the game. There are 7 pitches (on 14 cards): 2 on the inside (a ball and a curve for a strike), 3 down the middle (high, low and a strike), and 2 on the outside (a ball and a curve for a strike). Each pitch consists of two parts. The first part of the pitch will show if it is coming inside, outside or down the middle. The batter will say SWING or STRIKE! If he swings at a strike it will be a potential hit.

The deeper the count goes, the more the strategy changes from luck to knowledge. We had a couple of celebrities bat, while I pitched to them and they give their comments on the KS page.

There are 14 shuffled hitting cards (at home plate) which will reveal a potential hit to some part of the ball park (a double to the gap in left or a single towards 3rd or a home run, etc.) One will be flipped over when there is a potential hit.

Fielding - there is a (face-down) card for each position. There is a choice between outfielders for a ball hit in the gap. Infield hits are to a position. A card flipped over will reveal either an out, a hit or an error (take an extra base!)

There are special rules for bunting, stealing, throwing out runners, a tired pitcher and a pinch hitter.

The game plays very much like real baseball. For e.g. if you take your time with pitching it could take a couple of hours. Or you can play an inning or two. (I'm currently going into the 8th inning vs. my wife and losing 10-3. We played this game over a couple of days - at our leisure. She struck me out twice in the last inning...)

There are scoreboards to record the count, score and inning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the very short videos, it sounds like the game is very much a guessing game. I think though the more pitches you throw then you run out of options so then it becomes a memory game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.