Tunisia II» Forums » General

Subject: How well can I solo this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about grabbing this game as my first intro to OSC. How well can this solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER Bickford
United States
Auburn
flag msg tools
mb
I solo OCS all the time. It is like most two player games. You have to play both sides. There is hidden information in that you are not supposed to look below the top combat unit of an enemy stack, but I have never found that prohibitive to playing solo. Tunisia certainly has a manageable counter density.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that you have to roll for initiative every turn makes this more unpredictable than most games.
The way combat works makes this also more solo friendly. There is no certainty there either. A good or bad surprise roll can really alter your chances for a succesfull attack.

But that is ofcourse just my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays quite well solo(only way I have played it). Starts on a small corner of the map and gradually expands and becomes more complex as time goes on.

With Reluctant Enemies available now to beginners I would recommend that as your first OCS but Tunisia would certainly be a front runner for second in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have a fairly lengthy solo play through on YouTube if you want to take a closer look

Edit- Sorry of Tunisia 1 not 2 but they are quite similar I do believe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure it would be fine if you are the type of person that can solo games. I want to solo this and many others, but so far, each time I have tried, I just struggle with doing it. I admire folks like Micheal and Enrico who can do it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
spiering8 wrote:
I do have a fairly lengthy solo play through on YouTube if you want to take a closer look

Edit- Sorry of Tunisia 1 not 2 but they are quite similar I do believe

This was my intro to OCS (Tunisia 1, that is) and Michaels Youtube episodes helped me immensely.

Not just for rule clarifications, but also for the "what the hell do I do now" situations.

Tunisia 1 is easily solo-able. Tunisia II is less complex and so should be the same (caveat - have not put it on the table yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
I am sure it would be fine if you are the type of person that can solo games. I want to solo this and many others, but so far, each time I have tried, I just struggle with doing it. I admire folks like Micheal and Enrico who can do it well.

It certainly is not easy. It can be very difficult to look at the map and pretend you do not have full knowledge of the opposition. I sometimes fall into the trap of building a defense and thinking that it is more than enough to stop the attacker from advancing, and the attacker agreeing, resulting in a less than interesting stalemate. I think I heard Kev Sharp express this same opinion in a recent video of his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiering8 wrote:

With Reluctant Enemies available now to beginners I would recommend that as your first OCS but Tunisia would certainly be a front runner for second in my opinion.

The Hell you say!laugh Go with Tunisia first, RE second, in my opinionwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OCS is great for solo, ftf and team play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
spiering8 wrote:

Tuinisa was my first with TankBoy! Now he is an expert, and I am still the newb we were back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:
spiering8 wrote:

Tuinisa was my first with TankBoy! Now he is an expert, and I am still the newb we were back then.

Not even close to expert, I just understand the concept of trying to do more with less, which is quite painful to learn some times.

Being able to squeeze out 1SP worth of operations from 1T, that's an expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules expert that is. Strategy is another thing.

Fly by Night wrote:
cscottk wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:
spiering8 wrote:

Not even close to expert, I just understand the concept of trying to do more with less, which is quite painful to learn some times.

Being able to squeeze out 1SP worth of operations from 1T, that's an expert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.