7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which Dead Of Winter Version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys out of the 2 Dead of Winter versions.... which should I start with? Is Long Night "Better"???

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed, I haven't played yet, but asked the same Q myself with a lot of study.
Easy answer is this: DoW has much of the base game parts (same locations but upgraded material) PLUS all the DoW modules and the upgraded materials (boards instead of sheets, etc...)

I don't see DoW as an expansion, or something to "add to" the base game.
For me it was a choice of Which Game Period.

Only thing you miss getting just DoW are original characters (which you can always proxy). Considering the extra you get in DoW, for the same cost, my choice was made.

Good luck !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The newer one adds replay into since you can add or remove stuff as need be. In terms of the experience itself, I'm not sure there is that much difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Oh cool.. so the Newer one would be best to grab up if i don't have either. DOW: The Long Night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dead of Winter: The Long Night has slightly nicer components and a few extra rules (not including the modules), but has significantly smaller decks of cards: the survivor deck, crossroads deck and the scenario decks are all tiny.

This leads to limited replayability, even with the module content. The characters within the game are also less interesting to play, and it's going to be a pain in the ass sorting cards in and out of decks when you're swapping in and out modules.

I would say grab the original game first. It's a fuller experience, with better objectives, better flavour text and larger decks of cards. If you like it, then by all means grab The Long Night too, but I would NEVER start with that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
Dead of Winter: The Long Night has slightly nicer components and a few extra rules (not including the modules), but has significantly smaller decks of cards: the survivor deck, crossroads deck and the scenario decks are all tiny.

This leads to limited replayability, even with the module content. The characters within the game are also less interesting to play, and it's going to be a pain in the ass sorting cards in and out of decks when you're swapping in and out modules.

I would say grab the original game first. It's a fuller experience, with better objectives, better flavour text and larger decks of cards. If you like it, then by all means grab The Long Night too, but I would NEVER start with that game.

I would completely agree, the cards fleshing out the characters personalities and the situations they encounter are what make DoW engaging. If you think you're only going to play it a few times a year, then just the Long Night will probably be fine, but if there's any chance of it getting more tabletime, get the original and add the Long Night later (if needed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.