Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Meertens
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
You gotta hang on to the trip you're on
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A player can build only one outpost per space tile, I get that.

But the next sentence in the rules is unclear to me:
"the playing figure that is supposed to get the outpost has to be the first of its kind in this outer space tile."

Does it mean that it has to be the first of its kind for that specific player or the first of its kind in general?

E.g. I build my first space station on tile A, but my opponent already built a space station on this tile. Do I get the outpost for it's my first space station on tile A or don't I for it's the second space station on the tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eduart wrote:
A player can build only one outpost per space tile, I get that.

Does it mean that it has to be the first of its kind for that specific player or the first of its kind in general?

From that specific player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you're the designer of the game and arguing about rules with the designer is rarely useful, but still: if you can only build one outpost per space tile, isn't it always the first of its kind from that specific player?

Also, in the example below, you've seen necessary to point out "This is the first space station on this space tile." and "It does not matter if another player already has a colony or a mission marker on this outer tile." Why should it matter, if what other people own doesn't matter in the first place?

If the rule is that it doesn't matter what outposts other people own on the tile, I'm fine with that (and will upgrade my condensed rules, which also have this wrong), but the rulebook does suggest quite strongly that the outpost can only be played on the first figure of its kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ebner
Austria
Salzburg
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification on this would be great. Ironically it was more ambiguous for us in the german rules ;)

-> Only one type of building (colony, mission or space station) per space tile - of which there are 6 - gets to build an outpost? So a maximum of 3 different people can have outposts in a single space tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
msaari wrote:
...but the rulebook does suggest quite strongly that the outpost can only be played on the first figure of its kind.

This is how I've read it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aruwen wrote:
Clarification on this would be great. Ironically it was more ambiguous for us in the german rules

-> Only one type of building (colony, mission or space station) per space tile - of which there are 6 - gets to build an outpost? So a maximum of 3 different people can have outposts in a single space tile?

There can be 4 outposts in a space tile - one per player. Regarding outposts, other players are not relevant. In the the german rules there is no word about markers or outposts from different players. The example emphasises the fact, that player markers from other players don't matter.

Quote:
"the playing figure that is supposed to get the outpost has to be the first of its kind in this outer space tile."

This rule is relevant because you have to build all three types of outposts before you are allowed to place the second of a kind. Therefore it happens that you place your first player marker in a space tile, but aren't allowed to build an outpost.

For Example: I already have placed my colony outpost on a space tile, but haven't fulfilled a mission yet. So when I enter a new space tile in which I have no player figures, and now I place a colony, then I can't place my second colony outpost. Later in the game, when I have placed outposts of every type, I can't place a colony outpost in this space tile, because it contains already one of my colony player markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that. But why do the rules say "has to be the first of its kind in this outer space tile"? Because that restriction applies to whole board, not just a particular outer space tile. Also, you can't play two outposts on the same outer space tile anyway, so why mention it in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
I get that. But why do the rules say "has to be the first of its kind in this outer space tile"? Because that restriction applies to whole board, not just a particular outer space tile. Also, you can't play two outposts on the same outer space tile anyway, so why mention it in the first place?

The rules say

"the playing figure [...] has to be the first of its kind in this outer space tile"

not

"the outpost [...] has to be the first of its kind in this outer space tile".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that clears it. Now I understand this. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
I know you're the designer of the game and arguing about rules with the designer is rarely useful, but still: if you can only build one outpost per space tile, isn't it always the first of its kind from that specific player?

Hi,

thanks for asking. No, it is not!

You can already have a space station in this sector. And if you like to build an outpost for that new space station you are planing to erect right now you cannot build the outpost. Because you already have a space station in this sector.

It can happen because of the other restrictions regarding outposts. Like you can only build your 2nd outpost regarding space stations after you already build the first outpost for planets and missions.

Have fun with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I have a hard time following your discussion later. I will now mention the relevant rules for outposts. Maybe that clears it up a bit.

- One outpost per player per outer space tile.

That means everybody can have exactly one outpost in every of the six outer space tiles. That makes up to 4 outposts per outer space tile in a four player game.

- If you want to erect an outpost it depends on the figure you want to place on the board. You need to use the proper tile.

- You cannot build the second outpost for one figure (e.g. disc) if you haven't placed one of any kind. E.G. If you want to build the second outpost for discs you need to have at least one for space stations and one for missions also in play.

- If you want to place an outpost it has to be the first figure of that kind for you in that sector. If you already have a space station in that sector you cannot place the outpost for space stations here. It can happen because of that rule I mentioned before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crystal clear now. If there's a second printing, I'd suggest editing the rulebook - it's not nearly as clear as this explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
If there's a second printing, I'd suggest editing the rulebook

Already noted to be prepared for that case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.