$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.5% of Goal | left

Support:

☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
GOP website declares Mike Pence the winner of the VP debate 90 minutes before the debate begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Onion headline that actually is not the Onion. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
That's right up there with claiming the hard drive was damaged when in fact the emails were deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
That's right up there with claiming the hard drive was damaged when in fact the emails were deleted.

No, it's totally different.

One may be a lie, the other is truly absurd incompetence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
windsagio wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

It's like an obit getting accidentally published when they update it. It happens.

These things are in the can, ready to go, then they just tweek them before posting so they can be ahead of the curve. Someone just hit post instead of preview.

Been there done that. Hardly warrants a headline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The GOP's presidential nominee is a race-baiting huckster that looks like a melting pumpkin. A guy who, during a heated presidential race, is talking shit about imaginary sex tapes at 3 A.M. on social media.

The Republican party's credibility is naught but ash and memories. This is just one of those weird farts that dead bodies sometimes leak out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Absurd incompetence because some web guy accidentally publish a page prematurely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Absurd incompetence because some web guy accidentally publish a page prematurely?

1. It is pretty absurd.

2. Are we sure it's incompetence? The GOP has a pretty long history of having issues with its tech and design folks. Maybe they're being trolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

1. It is pretty absurd.

2. Are we sure it's incompetence? The GOP has a pretty long history of having issues with its tech and design folks. Maybe they're being trolled.

I doubt the GOP has a very sophisticated release management system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Look, I understand you have to prepare a version of these ahead of time.

But I love the bit about how the Party of Trump "fact checked and monitored the debate in real time" ... before the debate began. And how they listed where Pence made the best points... before he made them.

It really has become.. the Party of Trump. The Grand Old Party is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Look, I understand you have to prepare a version of these ahead of time.

But I love the bit about how the Party of Trump "fact checked and monitored the debate in real time" ... before the debate began. And how they listed where Pence made the best points... before he made them.

It really has become.. the Party of Trump. The Grand Old Party is gone.

Ain't much "Grand" about it anymore !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Meh. The two major political parties are in the business of selling their candidates. This seems more like incompetent puffery than any form of truly unique credibility loss. They were, no doubt, going to claim victory no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Meh. The two major political parties are in the business of selling their candidates. This seems more like incompetent puffery than any form of truly unique credibility loss. They were, no doubt, going to claim victory no matter what.

Yeah, the loss of credibility started with Sarah Palin and ended with the logical-but-unbelievable endgame of Trump.

I want my party back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bird
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Yeah, the loss of credibility started with Sarah Palin and ended with the logical-but-unbelievable endgame of Trump.

I want my party back.

Suggesting that Sarah Palin was the start point for that particular brand of toxic conservatism overlooks the fact that Newt Gingrich (and more often than not George W. Bush) championed most of her policy positions long before she was ever a thing, and that her veep nomination was a move by the McCain campaign to soothe the base.

Palin wasn't a start point. Palin was the equivalent of the oncologist telling you the cancer is at Stage Three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
the loss of credibility started with Sarah Palin

Dan Quayle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I want my party back.

Your party is in a state of revolution. Your choice is to leave it, as I did, or stick with it and try to influence other party members onto a course you find more commensurate with your values.

Good luck either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Rulesjd wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I want my party back.

Your party is in a state of revolution. Your choice is to leave it, as I did, or stick with it and try to influence other party members onto a course you find more commensurate with your values.

Good luck either way.

Repubs are in a state of revolution? Maybe.

I have two words for you: Ber nie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I want my party back.

Good luck either way.

Either way, it is fun to watch the Zeds consume each other.

Unfortunately, whatever walks out of the skirmish will be more virulent and dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I want my party back.

Good luck either way.

You are not wrong. However, the actual schism isn't nearly as deep or divisive as of yet among the Democrats. Notice that Bernie did turn around and endorse Hillary while legions of Republican leaders, not to mention Republican oriented newspapers, have failed to support Trump or have actually gone on record in opposition.

The Democratic leadership, despite what many try to claim, has shifted toward the center over the last two decades (part of why we got NAFTA under Clinton as well as the WTO) and there was bound to be disaffection from the true left wingers.

The GOP first embraced the evangelical wing via George HW Bush which shifted the party into a more hardline social conservatism. The GOP has also pursued an almost exclusively supply side approach to economic since Reagan at least (and this was a a significant reason we wound up with the trade deals we ultimately got). Reagan was rather ruthless about the build up of the military as a stark contrast to the more fiscally conservative Eisenhower era Republicans.

Both parties contain movements that are fueled by anti establishment sentiment. However, the GOP is particularly feeling fracture lines as the Tea Party has strong libertarian elements that sometimes are at odds with the socially controlling evangelicals as well as a more protectionist/isolationist philosophy that runs counter to the hawks and the free trade adherents. (Obviously there are a wide range of opinions among all these groups)

During the years I was voting Republican, I never saw this level of dissension in the party though the Democrats were in a similar disarray in the 70's as during Carters administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I want my party back.

Good luck either way.

You are not wrong. However, the actual schism isn't nearly as deep or divisive as of yet among the Democrats. Notice that Bernie did turn around and endorse Hillary while legions of Republican leaders, not to mention Republican oriented newspapers, have failed to support Trump or have actually gone on record in opposition.

The Democratic leadership, despite what many try to claim, has shifted toward the center over the last two decades (part of why we got NAFTA under Clinton as well as the WTO) and there was bound to be disaffection from the true left wingers.

The GOP first embraced the evangelical wing via George HW Bush which shifted the party into a more hardline social conservatism. The GOP has also pursued an almost exclusively supply side approach to economic since Reagan at least (and this was a a significant reason we wound up with the trade deals we ultimately got). Reagan was rather ruthless about the build up of the military as a stark contrast to the more fiscally conservative Eisenhower era Republicans.

Both parties contain movements that are fueled by anti establishment sentiment. However, the GOP is particularly feeling fracture lines as the Tea Party has strong libertarian elements that sometimes are at odds with the socially controlling evangelicals as well as a more protectionist/isolationist philosophy that runs counter to the hawks and the free trade adherents. (Obviously there are a wide range of opinions among all these groups)

During the years I was voting Republican, I never saw this level of dissension in the party though the Democrats were in a similar disarray in the 70's as during Carters administration.

About that: from an article that bore witness to this state of revolution back in frigging January.

Money graf:

William Saletan wrote:
The disaster, the blame game, and the establishment’s surprise at what’s happening are related. Since President Obama’s election, the GOP has abandoned its role as a national governing party. It has seized Congress not by pursuing an alternative agenda but by campaigning and staging votes against anything Obama says or does. The party’s so-called leaders have become followers, chasing the pet issues of right-wing radio audiences. Now the mob to whom these elders have surrendered—angry white voters who are determined to “take back their country” from immigrants and liberals—is ready to install its own presidential nominee. The Trump-Cruz takeover is the culmination of the Grand Old Party’s moral collapse.

In foreign policy, there’s a term for governments that don’t govern. We call them failed states. A state can fail for many reasons, but weak or clueless leadership is usually a factor. In a failed state, insurgencies grow, warlords arise, and chaos reigns. That’s what the GOP has become.

Donald Trump is now openly advocating racial intimidation tactics at polling places on Election Day, because reality doesn't match up to his toddler ego.

Calling the GOP a "failed state" is almost an insult to failed states everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.