Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
No question Pence completely owned Kaine throughout...he was calm, collected, looked very Presidential, carefully and calmly deflected Kaine's continual interruptions.

Kaine mostly interrupted and kept trying to bring up Trump's taxes....by my count he interrupted at least 20 times to Pence's 2 or 3. He seemed less comfortable than Pence.

I did think Pence handled questions on the economy and was good at pointing at Hillary's many failures overseas.

Kaine did a pretty good job during the last 10 minutes or so when discussing racial issues and put Pence off his mark a bit; points there.

I'm hearing many folks bashing the moderator but honestly I thought she was head and shoulders better and more even handed than Lester "Did I Do Good Hillary?" Holt.

More later; I need my beauty sleep and Odin knows you don't want me to miss out on that!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pence's lies were rolling hard in the brief segment I saw. I mean he did deliver them well, but man, it was hard to keep up with all of them. You are probably right about presentation and looking 'presidential' Pence has the stiff man look, while Kaine is more the goofy uncle type. Both have their advantages in negotiation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

It's pretty clear Pence won on style, but maybe that was Kaine's plan all along. A Pyrrhic victory for Team Trump, if you will.

People will likely soon forget that Kaine was a bit rude, but the media narrative until Sunday's debate will be "Is Trump indefensible?"

If his VP can't even defend him, who can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple assessment:

Pence beat Kaine

Kaine beat Trump

Also, reports are that Trump is unhappy that Pence's performance makes him (Trump) look bad by comparison. How presidential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaine was definitely more aggressive. I'm ok with that as most of what he had to say was dead on accurate about Trump and Pence. Some people will find his interruptions rude. Pence had a more calm "presidential demeanor" which comes off as more steady, but every time he opened his mouth a really cheesy defense of Trump was uttered which Kaine felt compelled to take down.

Verdict: Pence for calm demeanor, Kaine for making more points favorable to his side. Either way the debate won't nudge the results too much in either direction.

Best line of the night:

Pence: Trump is not a career politician. He's a businessman. He's built a multi million dollar business...

Kaine: How do you know that, he hasn't released his taxes. Nixon released his taxes under audit. Trumps not even living up to the Nixon standard...

Kapow !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So once again the debate helps affirm people's preconceived emotional decision of who they will vote for. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I checked, the VP doesn't matter. I've never watched any of the VP debates because who cares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not watch the debate. So did one of them prove he is better at sitting on the Senate floor doing nothing than the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were a personality contest, pence wins hands down. On a substance strance kaine won handily. On cbs they had a panel of undecideds afterwards and it was depressing to see them all sucked in by charisma and kind of glazed over on the actual words. Having said that, the GOP would be far better off if Pence was leading the ticket. I felt bad for him, he has the impossible task of layering nuance on top of Trumps absolutist naive nonsense and offensive comments. It's no wonder he didn't have much substance, how do you give substance to Trump policies without sounding like a hateful fascist bigot? Pence is a nice guy and all, but he's no miracle worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Kaine mostly interrupted and kept trying to bring up Trump's taxes....

This was all I remember. Every time that Muppet looking Kaine opened his mouth it was about Trumps tax returns.

Also Pence looked and acted like he was applying to be the president while Kaine came across as disgruntled high school teacher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

This was all I remember. Every time that Muppet looking Kaine opened his mouth it was about Trumps tax returns.

Also Pence looked and acted like he was applying to be the president while Kaine came across as disgruntled high school teacher.

Shame for the GOP Pence isn't applying to be president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Not this electoral cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Not this electoral cycle.

Yeah, but playing his hand now gives the D 4 years to prepare. Pence does have 'dirt' on him(from a political point of view) when he got stuck with the pro-life/choice thing he dug his heels in and took the diminishing position on a very polarizing topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I think Pence won the debate. I am just not sure who's ticket he's on. Who is he running with again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I think Pence won the debate. I am just not sure who's ticket he's on. Who is he running with again?

He must be Johnson's VP. I heard it was some Republican governor, I guess it's Pence.

Pence appears to have never heard of that Trump guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
TheChin! wrote:
Pence is a nice guy and all...
Umm... no.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/07/mike-pences-top-seven-hom...

Quote:
1. Supporting a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality

In 2006, then-Rep. Pence told 100 of his fellow Republicans that he supported a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex weddings. Or as Pence put it, supported “God’s plan” in the face of the destruction of civilization. “Societal collapse was always brought about following an advent of the deterioration of marriage and family,” Pence complained.

2. Signed a bill to jail same-sex couples for applying for a marriage license

In an effort to make a bad idea even worse, as governor Pence signed a bill in 2013 that would jail same-sex couples in Indiana who applied for a marriage license. To prove that he wasn’t singling gay people out, Pence was also willing to jail marriage clerks who supplied a license or clergy who performed the wedding.

3. Wanted to divert funding from HIV prevention to conversion therapy

This one’s a two-fer: as a Congressional candidate in 2000, Pence wrapped two awful ideas into a single dreadful proposal. He wanted to ensure that “federal dollars were no longer being given to organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus.” So where should the money go? “Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.” In other words, conversion therapy.

4. Opposed repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell

Longing for the good old days of complete invisibility for gay people, Pence predictably ignored the preponderance of evidence in support of repealing Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Instead, Pence put himself out there as a leading opponent of the policy change. “There’s no question to mainstream homosexuality within active duty military would have an impact on unit cohesion,” Pence argued, dismissing the repeal as “some liberal domestic social agenda.”

5. Complained about the passage of the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes bill

In Pence’s ideal world, there would be zero protections. So it’s no surprise that he groused when the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes bill was signed into law in 2009. Pence didn’t cite legal objections. Instead, he complained that it advanced a “radical social agenda” and would have “a chilling effect on religious expression, from the pulpits, in our temples, in our mosques and in our churches.”

6. Served on the board of an antigay group

Pence has had a close relationship with the antigay leadership in his state. He served on the board of the Indiana Family Institute, an affiliate of Focus on the Family, which has been in the forefront of attacks on LGBT rights in the state, including a state constitutional amendment banning marriage equality. Thanks to its connections to Pence and other Republicans, IFI has been the recipient of funding for the state’s “Health Marriage” program. The former head of IFI has served as an aide to Pence both in Congress and the state house and as a campaign consultant.

7. Argued that passing ENDA would ban Bibles from the workplace

Of course, in Congress Pence voted against federal workplace protections. What was unique was his reasoning, which was that ENDA would discriminate against Christians. To comply with the law, Pence claimed, “the employer has to ban employees from having a Bible at the workplace for their break time, or displaying Bible verses.” Foreshadowing the Indiana religious liberty law, he went on: “We must stand for the right of every American to practice their faith according to the dictates of their conscience, whether it be in the public square or in the workplace.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Umm... no.
I meant personality wise. Serial killers often are nice guys also. That they have a loathsome world view doesn't mean they don't have charisma. If he had been asked about his own indefensible views, I'm sure he would have been just as nice avoiding the questions and giving undecideds a warm fuzzy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost wonder if Kaine's performance was to get DJT amped up to attack mode on Sunday? Get him thinking that he needs to have back-at-ya attacks for the town hall (a bad move), give him fodder to stay "off script".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Umm... no.

Yeah, but Pence only hates us queers.

Trump hates brown people too!

Ergo, Pence is nicer than Trump (because Trump is a really nice guy, almost the nicest you'll ever meet,) so Pence is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The one thing I had liked about Pence is that he often tried to tone down Trump's message.

Thus, I did not fully tie Pence to Trump. Though I was never a fan on many of his social stances, I still had liked some of his values such as when he wrote:

https://craigfehrman.com/2013/01/06/mike-pences-confessions-...

But, when he tried to pass off that Trump didn't have an insult driven campaign, I disagreed but saw how he could twist it (such as feigning that the real drive of the campaign was something else).

Trump's constant insults are definitely the focus for much of the nation (obviously not all though).

But, that wasn't my biggest issue. When he said flat out multiple times that Trump didn't say things that he said, that is when I was turned off.

Pence said the following:
Quote:
I think it's inarguable that Vladimir Putin has been a stronger leader in his country than Barack Obama has been in this country.

And to now pretend he'd never said that is shady. If he didn't mean it, he should apologize (which likely would not make Trump happy).

I understand why Pence did not try to defend things said by Trump because you cannot really defend those outrageous statements.

But, flat out lies about what you say is awful too.

This isn't media twist; these are quotes.

If Pence is going to dodge questions, fine. But, if he's going to start lying, the respect I did have for him takes a huge dive.

He's not moderating Trump's message as I had hoped; he's just trying to twist his message into a way that will win, in any way he can. Before it was twisting, but now lies have been added to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Umm... no.

Yeah, but Pence only hates us queers.

Trump hates brown people too!

Ergo, Pence is nicer than Trump (because Trump is a really nice guy, almost the nicest you'll ever meet,) so Pence is nice.
Is Indiana arresting and throwing queers off buildings like Hillary's foreign donors?

Edit: oh yeah, indiana just made it legal for a business to not profit from the sale of theoretical pizzas at a theoretical gay wedding that would go against their religious beliefs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm for Clinton this election and I definitely think Pence won in terms of demeanor and presentation. Kaine came off as a bit of an ass. However, that is largely irrelevant. All the media talk yesterday was about Pence lying and being unable or unwilling to defend Trump. Tim Kaine’s strategy was not to talk about himself or Mike Pence, rather, his strategy was:

1. aggressively go after Donald Trump, get your attack points in (in quick soundbites usable by the media, by the by)

2. go after Donald Trump, make Pence defend Trump or prove he can’t

3. ignore Pence and his record. Go after Trump. Remind people of every odious thing Trump has said.

Here is how VP debates work: if your base is more pumped by the debate than theirs, you won.

As a result of Pence's inability or unwillingness to defend Trump, you get this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
I'm for Clinton this election and I definitely think Pence won in terms of demeanor and presentation. Kaine came off as a bit of an ass. However, that is largely irrelevant. All the media talk yesterday was about Pence lying and being unable or unwilling to defend Trump. Tim Kaine’s strategy was not to talk about himself or Mike Pence, rather, his strategy was:

1. aggressively go after Donald Trump, get your attack points in (in quick soundbites usable by the media, by the by)

2. go after Donald Trump, make Pence defend Trump or prove he can’t

3. ignore Pence and his record. Go after Trump. Remind people of every odious thing Trump has said.

Here is how VP debates work: if your base is more pumped by the debate than theirs, you won.

As a result of Pence's inability or unwillingness to defend Trump, you get this:

Kaine twisted every Trump insult to make it look as racist and sexist and possible it was super annoying. He didn't say all Mexicans are rapists go read the actual quote. Would you think that every Mexican upon the age of maturity suddenly rapes someone? He was talking about many of those at the border that are involved in illegal trafficking. He in fact said they aren't sending their best. That shows right there that he's saying they aren't ALL rapists. The quote gets cut to "They're rapists" and totally ignores the context and next sentence. Kaine knows this but continues to distort.
Quote:
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:

Kaine twisted every Trump insult to make it look as racist and sexist and possible it was super annoying.

Um, he didn't have to do much twisting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.