Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after reading a bunch of reviews and watching a bunch of play through videos, I figured I'd give this game a shot. I'm always on the lookout for interesting games that can be played solo or in a group, and Dungeonquest does both, allowing from 1 to 4 players to enter the Dragon's Dungeon and try to steal it's loot.

The rules are pretty straightforward, with ability tests being taken on 2D6 and needing to roll under the character's ability score. This is great when you're an elf testing agility to cross a wooden beam spanning a deep pit; that test becomes solo much harder if you're the heavily armoured bruiser dressed in plate. But wait, even the nimble elf can be brought down if he's carrying too much loot... You see, for each loot card currently carried, he drops his score by 1. This is just one taste of how this game will defeat you! I mean, the very objective you've gone in to complete can also be the thing that sends you to your doom.

Combat is also straightforward-it's a simple rock-paper-scissors mechanic, using 3 cards that each player draws from the player on the left of the active player controls the monsters). You keep fighting until one of you are dead, or you decide you've had enough and run away; running away will still cost you wounds, but at least, if you choose to do it early enough, you'll get away alive. One complaint I had about the cards used in combat was that they were a bit tough to make sense of at first....it took me a couple tries to truly understand how much damage was being done, but once I figured it out, all was good.

Exploration is done by drawing dungeon tiles that are placed facedown on the table or in stacks (depending on how you want to play). You draw a tile, place it on the square you are moving into, and resolve any effects (such as the afore-mentioned pit). Some cards will have exploration tokens on them, allowing you to search for treasure, others are trap tiles, meaning you draw from the trap deck, and others are just plain passages with nothing dramatic about them. One of my favourites (to watch others play) are the rotating rooms-step in, rotate the tile 180 degrees, and carry on.

The last bit of exploration to talk about are the catacombs. Now, the mechanic for this is a bit confusing if you haven't played it, but makes perfect sense once you play it. Basically, you either enter the catacombs through a set of stairs, or you fall through the floor (or into a pit). Once down there, you remove your miniature and replace it one the board with a tear-drop shaped token (I'm sure it's tear dropped for more than just the discussed use...you use the pointed end to show your direction of travel). Each turn, you draw a catacomb card (don't discard these-they serve a purpose later). You can't exit the catacombs unless you draw a card that allows for this, so be careful when you choose to go down there (in one game, we had 3 of 4 players die in the catacombs within a turn of each other). Once you find an exit card and successfully pass whichever attribute is being tested, you leave the dark recesses of the catacombs. Here is where those catacomb cards you saved come into play...count how many cards you have and move your token that many squares. Then, turn your token 90 degrees in a chosen direction, and roll a D6. Then move your token that far, and place your miniature back on the board. Make sure you draw a new dungeon tile if you come up in a blank space, and resolve any events. Then, carry on.

Oh right...I forgot to mention the daylight tracker. At the start of each turn, before player one takes his turn, you advance the tracker. There are 25 (I believe) spaces, plus 5 more numbered ones at the end of the track. You advance the tracker each turn, indicating how long the heroes have to explore and escape before the doors slam shut and the dragon wakes up. The numbered spots make this mechanic tricky as well. Each turn, when on a numbered tile, you must roll a D6 and equal or beat the number shown...if you don't, it's game over, right then. The numbers stop at 5, so if you're feeling really lucky, this game could potentially run forever (as long as you continue to roll 5's and 6's).

Lastly, the dragon's lair...where all the good loot is found! Once a player enters the dragon's den, you may search for loot. To search, you draw a card from the dragon deck and resolve the outcome. There are 8 cards, 7 of which indicate how many loot cards you get to draw (YAY!!!!). That 8th card, though, is what will cause you problems. When you draw that card the dragon wakes up and attacks those in the treasure room. At the end of the search phase, all dragon cards are placed back in the deck, shuffled, and are ready for the next person foolish enough to try and steal from a dragon.

At any time, a player may exit the dungeon with his or her loot by making his or her way back to any of the 4 exits and wait to see who else escapes. Each loot card has a good value on it, meaning that if more than one person escapes, you tally the gold and the person with the most gold wins (in the game I mentioned earlier, after all 3 of the other players died in the catacombs, the last player stepped outside with 20G and won).

This game is very unforgiving, and unlike a lot of other games, once you die you don't respond-you're just eliminated and waiting for the rest of the group to finish. This can be good or bad...I've seen instances where a player literally dies on the first turn and must then watch the others continue to play for many rounds after. It is a very easy way to alienate that player, but he does get to play all the monsters at that point, so maybe he can drag down a friend or two!

All in all, we enjoyed this game and will play again. The rules are fairly simple to understand, and become more so once you play a game or two. The components are nice, with the character mini's well sculpted. I wish they had included a dragon mini, but since the dragon doesn't move, it would be purely cosmetic.

Now, go out and collect that dragon's treasure, but beware the catacombs, as they will surely be your doom as they were mine!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice review! I just a couple days broke down and ordered DungeonQuest. It arrives tomorrow so it was a pleasant surprise to see another review.

Also - and I usually hate when I see this type of comment - I would recommend adding a space between paragraphs for readability.

Good luck bringing back that treasure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't take any offence at all...if it makes it easier to read, then I'll take the advice as its meant-well intended!
*edit Having added a space between paragraphs, I totally agree with your statement! Thanks :)

lSweetJusticel wrote:

Also - and I usually hate when I see this type of comment - I would recommend adding a space between paragraphs for readability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regényi Mátyás
Hungary
Sopron
Győr-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, a good review, each paragraph touching a different aspect of the game, yet it does not spoil the whole game.

Yes, the catacombs are indeed deadly. In the 3rd edition they were not so deadly and it was exploited by the many-health heroes (Krutzbeck, Hugo).

I am so glad that I purchased this revised edition and selling the 3rd. Many rulas are much better in this version, simlified, and at the same time unchanged.

The only thing I still dont like is that the monsters are not different from each other. Well, I made a houserule for that (with the solo dice-based combat), if you would like you can check it out (I think I can convert it to the card-based combat too).

All in all, good review, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C A
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yatsuo wrote:

This game is very unforgiving, and unlike a lot of other games, once you die you don't respond-you're just eliminated and waiting for the rest of the group to finish. This can be good or bad...I've seen instances where a player literally dies on the first turn and must then watch the others continue to play for many rounds after. It is a very easy way to alienate that player, but he does get to play all the monsters at that point, so maybe he can drag down a friend or two!

We always play it that anyone who dies can take a new character and start in any corner of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.