Subject: Tiled Dining Table Top -- Need a mat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Any recommendations?

I'll buy or make myself.

I'd love to start with a 20 x 20 inch mat (size of monopoly board). This would be great for tile laying games like Forbidden Desert, Forbidden Island, Inspector Moss. I suppose I could use an old game board for this (recovering it).

ANother good size would be 30x30 inches. And say 30x50 inches.

Would be nice if I could make a quality mat myself, that way I can make them to the exact dimensions I desire, and perhaps cost less.

I'd like something that stores well, either folds or rolls up.

Maybe I should just get a new table? I suppose a smooth varnished wood one would be good. The tiled table top is bleh.

THanks,
Jennifer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you get some table protector fabric, EG: http://www.johnlewis.com/search?Ntt=table+protector&Nty=1&_r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
I would recommend 'mouse mat' fabric/rubber as that has a bit of give to easily pick up cards and other items on the table. It also has the virtue of being easily wiped down and rolled up for storage.

link to example:
http://www.canalrubber.com/sheet-runner-mouse-pad-sheet-rubber...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I ended up doing with my table
Re: Felt tablecloth any tips

If you're not looking to spend much money it's a good option.

The tile underlay would definitely cover up the tiles bumps and curves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With a tiled table, I am assuming you have small gaps between the tiles where the grout doesn't lie flush with the top of the tile? If so, you need a sheet of neoprene (mouse pad material as mentioned above) as it will support itself over these small grooves and provide you with a smooth soft surface to allow you to easily pick up cards. There are a multitude of colours you can get for the nylon jersey top and they come in large sheets of 4' x 8' so you could cover your whole table if you wanted to. It rolls up really nice and is easy to clean. I'd go with a 4mm thickness as the extra thickness over the typical 3mm will help bridge the grooves you are covering.

Check this thread out for all the different possible play surfaces typically used on gaming tables:
Game Table Design Series: Game Table Features - Play Surface
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get some felt or a table cloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use a cheap thin fleece blanket over my tile dining table, and it works out fine. You can get them for less than $10 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Anon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmb
http://www.hookloopoutlet.com/n30mnis.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The neoprene/mouse pad option mentioned above is far more awesome than you may realize. Makes a "dead" surface, so that dropped bits hit the table and stop rather than bouncing onto the floor. Still works great for dice (which also stay on the table). Makes picking up cards incredibly easy, plus makes things much easier to keep track of owing to contrast against the mouse mat.

I bought a dark green one and have never looked back. So. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Torpor wrote:
I would recommend 'mouse mat' fabric/rubber as that has a bit of give to easily pick up cards and other items on the table. It also has the virtue of being easily wiped down and rolled up for storage.

link to example:

Thanks. Is it easy to cut and still look nice? Or will there be a rough jagged side that frays? Or did you put some trim on the edge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
VanVeen wrote:
The neoprene/mouse pad option mentioned above is far more awesome than you may realize. Makes a "dead" surface, so that dropped bits hit the table and stop rather than bouncing onto the floor. Still works great for dice (which also stay on the table). Makes picking up cards incredibly easy, plus makes things much easier to keep track of owing to contrast against the mouse mat.

I bought a dark green one and have never looked back. So. Awesome.

Did you buy it from Canal rubber as well? If not, where did you get it? Is it possible to order custom size -- i.e. they might be able to cut it better there at the shop than I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Torpor wrote:

link to example:

Thanks, does this cut easier / nicer than the mouse pad material?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
boardgamegeekess wrote:
Torpor wrote:

link to example:

Thanks, does this cut easier / nicer than the mouse pad material?

My parents owned a Reupholstery business for years. This material is used for more than mouse pads. You can use a rolling cutter from a sewing shop or Walmart or Amazon. Use a metal ruler and clap everything to a table. If you want smooth round corners however, you need a special die. However, a good alternative is a nice sharp pair of tailor shears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Farnsworth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
You can use what I use at my computer: a kitchen comfort mat. It's basically a really giant mouse pad meant for standing on for long periods of time. You can pick them up at Walmart for very low prices--though they usually have some silly design on them. Something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Tuscan-W...

That one is 18x30, which is pretty close to your desired size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
gvfarns wrote:
You can use what I use at my computer: a kitchen comfort mat. It's basically a really giant mouse pad meant for standing on for long periods of time. You can pick them up at Walmart for very low prices--though they usually have some silly design on them. Something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Tuscan-W...

That one is 18x30, which is pretty close to your desired size.

Oh thanks for this! That's brilliant. I love the design Viticulture anyone ?

EDIT: although a plain one I guess would be better to make all the game pieces easier to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.