49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Greeting

With all these new games coming out, all the time (and especially now with Essen spiel) I'm trying to separate the good ones and the ones I probably want from the ones who just aren't great or not for our gamegroup.

With limited budget and shelve space you have to limit the amount of games you can buy, and lets be honest the amount of games your going to play over the next year(s)

Reading the rules posted here on the Bgg game pages is a very helpful tool but I just can't seem to figure out how people make there choice after just reading them.

Like for instance:

Castles of Burgundy: (opinions differ and you can't argue about taste) the artwork for me isn't appealing and the rules boiled down are, roll 2 dice, pick tiles from main board, place them on your personal board and score points,
This doesn't sounds very interesting or fun.
But it's a great game and I really love it.

Dice brewing : the artwork was great (again, you can't argue about taste) and when reading the rules it sounded great, when we played it, our gamegroup didn't really loved it and after 1 play I traded it away. (Sorry designers)

So does anyone have any tips or insights on how you choose games after just reading the rules before you put it on your list?

Some will say "try before you buy" but with so many games you can't just try them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
Baguety wrote:
So does anyone have any tips or insights on how you choose games after just reading the rules before you put it on your list?

Nope. The best you can do is simply hoping that the description of the mechanisms piques your interest: there is a very wide gulf between reading rules and experiencing how they work out in practice. You also don't know where the balance between mechanisms is struck, and this can have all sorts of important effects.

I'll add that it helps considerably if you are not after worker placement and deck building: there's a lot less of these games. Oh, and Rahdo runthroughs. Not for his thoughts about the game: he can keep 'em. Just to show how the game operates on a turn-to-turn basis.

Quote:
Some will say "try before you buy" but with so many games you can't just try them all.

The sad conclusion to draw is that you have to master your Fear Of Missing Out. Be glad with what you could try, keep an eye out for trusted friends and buddies who play other things, and hope that by the time you eventually do try a game you had initially ignored it is still available. To take myself as an example: I used to slave for weeks to read rule books prior to Spiel. I have since stopped doing that: it's simply a huge waste of time. Oh, I will read the occasional set of rules if a game passes the first impression-test... but if I'm doubtful at this stage I won't bother.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Baguety wrote:

Nope. The best you can do is simply hoping that the description of the mechanisms piques your interest: there is a very wide gulf between reading rules and experiencing how they work out in practice. You also don't know where the balance between mechanisms is struck, and this can have all sorts of important effects.

I'll add that it helps considerably if you are not after worker placement and deck building: there's a lot less of these games. Oh, and Rahdo runthroughs. Not for his thoughts about the game: he can keep 'em. Just to show how the game operates on a turn-to-turn basis.

Quote:

The sad conclusion to draw is that you have to master your Fear Of Missing Out. Be glad with what you could try, keep an eye out for trusted friends and buddies who play other things, and hope that by the time you eventually do try a game you had initially ignored it is still available. To take myself as an example: I used to slave for weeks to read rule books prior to Spiel. I have since stopped doing that: it's simply a huge waste of time. Oh, I will read the occasional set of rules if a game passes the first impression-test... but if I'm doubtful at this stage I won't bother.

Good luck.

What Maarten said. Also, fear not if you miss out on a game and have to pay double. The amount of money you will pay for it is much lower than the amount you will have saved by not succumbing to fear of missing out.

You are limited by your playing time and shelf space, not your budget.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's probably my biggest problem! Fear of missing out.
I know it sounds stupid having shelves full of games.
Cult of the new is a big problem as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think experience is the biggest factor here. The more games you read up on and play, the better you get at gauging if you (or your group) will enjoy it. With such an active second hand scene and trade culture, it's minimal risk in most circumstances but once you hit a storage limit of games you get better at filtering games fast shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only be sure after playing the game.

My GF and I played Project: Elite. I played it before and really liked it.
And I was SURE, like 100% sure, even more sure than with the games she bought, that she would like it.
I set it up. She was very eager to play it.
I explained it to her. She said that sounds awesome, let's get to it.
We played it and somehow she hated it. The first thing she said was: sell it. I'm not going to play this again. I don't know why but this game unfortunately sucks.

We played 2 more rounds to be sure but her opinion didn't change.

Too bad. Does somebody want a complete set of Project: Elite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, fear of missing out made me pre-order Bios: Genesis (even though I read a session report before ordering it). For the rest I'll decide after trying or just wait for feedback to percolate (i.e. not buy it at Essen), unless it's some small game that is an acceptable risk.

I dislike shelling for a big game blindly, specially considering the wealth of information channels we have at our disposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Experience helps I think and knowing what matters to you or your group but I recognize that this probably isn't very helpful.

Rules, videos, reviews, comments, ratings combined with what you've had success with I guess, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a formula.

Being able to get rid of games again helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on after reading rulebooks and reviews, watch a few setup/playthru videos. I also prefer to get my games used so that also forces a "cooldown period" before a purchase.

+1 on experience. Now that I own / have played more games my tastes are more quantified, so it's easier for me to figure out "o this is just like..." or "blech I won't like that and neither will my group".

Otherwise I like the Cult of the New buying new games and then selling them to me a year later! Got a nice setup of SWIA that way.

edit: spellin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
This gets easier over time. There is no way of telling other than playing. Sometimes, playing a game you didn't like a 2nd time.

I just got the Paperback app and instantly loved it and ordered it. It came and I played with my wife...to find it wasn't a good experience! We'll try it again, but I say this to just show that you never know!

And what a great opportunity to dig into the games you really do love. You aren't going to miss anything. Even if you miss a print run and pay above retail on games you love, it's still cheaper than buying everything under the sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way to improve your guesses in any domain is to do more guessing and reflect on whether you were right. Read rulebooks, tell yourself how much you think you will like it and why, play the game and find out, then think back on your guess.

And, most importantly: Don't let embarrassment keep you from guessing. Every time you think "oh, well, I shouldn't judge a game by its rulebook, that's not fair to the game", you keep yourself from getting better at it. Judge the game by its rulebook and then play it anyway. You'll never be 100%, but hey, you have to pick games somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to develop a sense for what you like in games and what you don't. Once you figure that out, you should have a fairly easy time deciding if a game is for you from the rules.

Also, the way you described Castles of Burgundy didn't talk about the constraints of the game at all. The fact that you're limited in what tiles you can take and where you can place them by your dice is the heart of why that game is fascinating. Puzzling out how best to use your dice is the challenge. The fact that you didn't focus on that in your description of the game suggests that you're not paying attention to the right things.

Learn what you like. Figure out the important aspects of a game. Match those up to see if the important parts of a game are the types of things you like. That'll give you your answer of whether it's something promising or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

Quote:

The sad conclusion to draw is that you have to master your Fear Of Missing Out.

If you don't try a game you won't know you are missing out. Just assume all games you haven't tried are terrible and challenge others to prove you wrong. The only way it can be proven is by playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Baguety wrote:

If you don't have time to try the game, you won't have time to play it if you buy it.

Mostly now, I just try new games in my group. If I like a game enough, I may buy it.

It's pointless to buy a game that won't be played (unless you want to study its design), so I've stopped worrying about the Hotness and everything else, except what my group likes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baguety wrote:

I don't only read the rules to decide. I also watch some play-throughs, and watch/read reviews as well. Another things is, I am learning what i like and what my main group likes, and that also informs my decision making. Finally, I rate my wish list. There are some games I will just open my wallet for, and get as soon as I can afford it with no thought of how soon I can play it or how much I will like it...take my damn money! There are other wish list games that are rated much lower, and I can just simply be patient with those. It is even possible I'll be able to play them before I buy because I'm not in a rush. Does that make sense?

Baguety wrote:
Dice brewing : the artwork was great (again, you can't argue about taste) and when reading the rules it sounded great, when we played it, our gamegroup didn't really loved it and after 1 play I traded it away.

I would say to try your game more than once, especially since you already made the investment. To me, games are kind of like music. Most of my favorite songs took me several listens before I realized I loved them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only play games with the same gamegroup every time so if a friend has a game I really like I don't have to buy it because I can play there copy. Sometimes I then wish I had bought it instead of them but I consider there collection a part of mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Tabletop simulator available on steam. It has almost every board game there is to mess with as if you had the game in your own home. I use it with every game I'm planning on buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.