Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the last in a series of sneak preview articles for the game Railroad Revolution, the new 2016 game from designers Marco Canetta and Stefania Niccolini and published by What’s Your Game. In this preview, I’m going to be covering company milestones and endgame scoring. If you haven’t read the earlier Previews yet, I recommend doing that first by clicking here, here, and then here.

Company Milestones
In addition to expanding their rail network and building stations, every company wants to grow – expanding their business and building new shiny offices. This is done during the game by means of company milestones and promoting workers to become managers.
At the start of the game, you will have two random starting milestones. To complete a milestone you must do two things, you must meet the criteria shown on the tile, and you must promote one of your workers to become the manager of this new department. Later milestones require two workers.

To complete this milestone for example, you need to have built your rail network to connect two different level 2 cities, and to have built a station in one of them. And you need to have promoted an Orange worker.

Completing this milestone will get you the 18 VP at the end of the game.

When you complete a milestone, it is replaced by a more valuable (but more difficult) one. You do get some choice over which new milestone you will get, you draw 3 news ones and choose 1.

If you remember all the way back to Preview 1, I talked about promotions then. You can perform a promotion whenever you take an action using a non-specialized worker. To promote someone, simply move one of your workers (from either your Player board or your supply) and place it on the milestone.
Once placed, it cannot be moved or removed, and when the milestone is completed, the workers that are now managers are discarded back to the common supply. Thematically, they still work in your company, but they are now needed simply to manage things and not do any actual real work
Company milestones are worth a great deal of VP, so you should take them into account when choosing which action to perform.

Performance Tracks
There are 3 Performance Tracks in the game, and each player starts with a marker on the bottom space of each column. Certain rewards and bonuses in the game allow you advance your markers up these tracks; the higher you are at the end of the game, the more VP you will get for that particular track.

Sometimes, moving your marker to the next position requires some kind of extra payment, either money, or shares, or discarding a worker.

The three tracks are:
Telegraph: Multiply the number of Telegraph Offices you have built in Telegraph stations by the number shown according to where your marker is.
Stations: Multiply the number of stations you have built in cities across the board by the number shown according to where your marker is.
Cities: Multiply the number of level 5 cities you are connected to with your rail network shown by the number shown according to where your marker is.

End of the Game & Final Scoring
When one player has removed all of their houses and rails from their Player board to the left of their company logo, the game is drawing to a close. Play until all players have had the same number of turns, and then all players get one more turn. Points are then added up, and a winner is declared.

Points are gained from:
- Completed milestones
- Face-up Train tiles
- The Performance Tracks
- Connected Telegraph sections

The player with the most VP wins!

And that brings this series of preview articles to a close. You now know most of the rules of the game, but if you want to know more, the rulebook should be online now at the What’s Your Game website. In my opinion, Railroad Revolution is definitely a more accessible game than some other WYG titles, easier to teach, but it still maintains a good depth of gameplay.

If you decide to purchase the game, I hope you enjoy it, and if you are attending Spiel, I hope to see you at the show. I will also be working on the official rules video for the game, which will hopefully be out by the end of the year.

Thanks for reading!
Paul Grogan
Gaming Rules!
On behalf of What’s Your Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

I had a read of the v0.9 rulebook, and I was rather confused by the Performance Tracks, and I found this sneak peek really useful for answering my questions. The way you spelled it out here (i.e. multiply position on Performance track by number of rails/trains/whatever) was really good. In the rulebook it isn't spelled out like that, and there isn't an example for how the Performance Track scoring works either.

I don't know if this is planned for v1.0, but that's something I'd like to see... Otherwise the rulebook is really great!

Also, quick clarification - If you were scoring Post Offices Telegraph Offices, and your telegraph performance marker is in between two different numbers, presumably you use the last number you passed as the multiplier, rather than the one you haven't reached yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone summarize player interaction in this game, as it seems rather scarce (even for a euro game)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Enko
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
Can anyone summarize player interaction in this game, as it seems rather scarce (even for a euro game)?

As far as I can tell, it's a race to be the first to connect with other cities, because you get the first player bonus ( but that can also be mitigated by using a specialized coloured worker that allows you to get the bonus nonetheless ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading the rules only, there is player interaction as follows:

Most interaction appears to come from the race to be first. If you build a station first, you get the first builder bonus, if you build a section of the telegraph first, you get a bonus (telegraph tile). If you trigger a deal, you get the opportunity for both deals rather than only one of the two. There is a limited supply of Milestones as well, however you move from A to B to C to D, and then you can't take any more, so its more that you race to get the Milestone you think will fit your strategy first.

Components such as Train Tiles and Workers are limited supply, so I guess there is some competition over those. Shares are unlimited.

There is no blocking of the rails - each player may place one rail on each rail space if they can. There is no blocking with stations or telegraph buildings - each player can have one station on each city, or one telegraph building on each space.

For myself I'd describe the interaction as a racing type interaction, with some indirect player to player interaction through choice denial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
Also, quick clarification - If you were scoring Post Offices, and your telegraph performance marker is in between two different numbers, presumably you use the last number you passed as the multiplier, rather than the one you haven't reached yet?
Yep! They are not post offices any more though. They are telegraph offices. If I said post offices, I'll change it quickly!
EDIT: What Post Offices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merfyn Lewis
Wales
Trefriw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely fantastic work Paul in giving us this preview, you need to be commended for your excellent efforts. Thank you SO much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I had to read the rulebook twice to figure out that it was a multiplier. I couldn't figure out why you could advance the Performance Track if you hadn't actually gotten that capacity through other actions. But it's all sorted now.

EDIT: Whoops. Meant to quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.