Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook p.4 wrote:
4: Goal of the Game
Every game has a different story. After choosing Leaders, choose a Story Card.
(My emphasis.)

I've never seen this done. In practice, it seems that the group agrees on a Story first, and then people go for the Leaders they think will be good in that Story. How about anyone else?

Also there's no description of how one should go about choosing the card.

If we leave out Awful Lonely and First Time, there are 16 official Story cards in the fully-expanded game:

Another Man's Treasure
Any Port In A Storm
The Choices We Make
Desperadoes
Down And Out
The Great Recession
Harken's Folly
It's All In Who You Know
Jail Break
King of All Londinium
Niska's Holiday
Patience's War
Respectable Persons of Business
The Scavenger's Verse
The Well's Run Dry
Where The Wind Takes Us

I am perversely tempted to drop out The Scavenger's Verse, allow each player to veto one Story once they know which Leader/Ship they have, then shuffle the rest together and pull a Story at random. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play face to face, we tend to follow the set up as written; usually allowing vetoes similar to your suggestion.

It prevents players from trying to pick the "perfect" ship and leader combination, but it does the unfortunate side effect of possibly sticking a player with an untenable combination for the story. (Flying the Interceptor in Patience's War can be brutal since the crew size isn't big enough to absorb the required losses after the first two Goals).

I say give it a go and you will probably find that you will end up with a perfectly fun game of Firefly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that selecting the story card out of order a) is often done, but b) can influence leader decisions.

Speaking personally, I'm often in a position where I'm either playing solo, playing with less experienced players, playing with folks who might want to try something out, or looking to fiddle with something myself. With those factors in mind, it makes sense to control some of the variables. There's nothing more disappointing than wanting to try out Rim Space and winding up with Harken's Folly!

Having said that, if I were to play a "regular" game (ie, with the factors about not part of things), I think either a vote or random draw works well.

Maybe we should do a random PBF and see how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I'm quite tempted. But not until the current game is over…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Rulebook p.4 wrote:
4: Goal of the Game
Every game has a different story. After choosing Leaders, choose a Story Card.
(My emphasis.)

Yes, we discovered that rule late also.
Since then, we've been playing both ways.

Sometimes we go for a more random choice where we select our leaders first then the story card or we select the story first and then our leaders.

It does give a wee advantage to the first picker when you know the Story Card and the requirements of the goals beforehand. But overall, it does not affect the game that much (for us).

We even tried to "blind pick" our captains also. Turned out way more interesting then we taught. Who knew Atherton could win so easily against Jubal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh always played that we picked story after captains, ships and locations (we usually play brown coat way). We also usually put 6 or so story cards in the "pot" and randomly pick (pool usually based on experience of players).
Makes for real interesting play when the story is Harken's folly and I'm with Fanto and Ming and my son is over in blue sunlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
metabulis wrote:
We even tried to "blind pick" our captains also. Turned out way more interesting then we taught. Who knew Atherton could win so easily against Jubal!

Yep. The person I play against the most is my cousin. If there's not something new to try out (official or custom), we'll often randomly draw both leaders and ships to see what comes up. We might do multiple picks (say, 3 leaders and 2 ships each) to avoid any truly terrible combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
gwek wrote:
I'm quite tempted. But not until the current game is over…
It really will be the only way to see how your idea plays out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The Blitz and The Browncoat Way are both great options which let you choose a story card first. These setup cards come with the Esmeralda and Jetwash expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We exclusively play the rules as written, but there are some story/set up combinations which cause issues. One of the story cards involving havens means you have to relocate your ship's starting position to the haven from where you chose during setup is a good example of how this seems counter-intuitive.

Still, we tried picking leaders and starting ships after the story card, but we soon realised this is a very bad idea, and actually abandoned that game because it was far too polarised due to synergies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We cycle through the Story Cards. They're all in the plastic sleeve they came packed in, and when the game is over, the current Story Card goes into the back of the sleeve and the next one facing out is what we play on our next game (obvious exceptions being the solo and beginner Story Cards, where the idea will be to play Niska's Holiday when those cards show up in the rotation.) We don't play too frequently (and haven't played at all in almost two months,) but knowing what Story Card we'll be using hasn't really affected our choice of Leaders; we seem to've found Leaders that we like and stick with them for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We generally are very laid back about story card selection. Someone usually suggests one, and the rest are good or not. If not, then a consensus is made. But we usually do it before selecting ships/leaders. With all the official ships + customs, no one has ever picked one that was head and shoulders above the rest.

On the other hand, why not stick to the rules as written, but after selection, allow players to replace either ship or captain in reverse player order to mitigate a poor initial selection?

Once all have chosen, anyone is free to do this in our games anyway. If after everyone has selected, Player A decides that he would rather have something else, he can freely choose from those that are left. If someone says, "Ooh, you're not going to take your original choice after all? I will then." It's all good, as long as priority is given to the player who would have chosen first. Nobody has a problem with this. I think it helps set the tone that we're in it for fun. That's not to say we don't hammer each other once the dino starts around the table though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.