Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any serious games depicting the viking raids and the viking xxpansion over europe?
In my eyes a very interesting topic, but maybe hard to simulate by boardgames...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Andreas, there was a thread on here a few weeks ago called "Dark Age wargames suggestions". If you ignore the fatuous muscle-flexing on definitions of the Dark Ages there are some reasonable game suggestions including the recent 2 volumes on the campaigns of Alfred the Great against the Vikings in England by High Flying Dice Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is Viking Raiders, man to man combat from the Cry Havoc series of games. Might be too simple, though, for what your are looking for.

Clontarf is a hex and counter depiction of a single historical battle.

Vikingatid and Norseman: Viking Kingdoms of the North Sea seem to cover the whole shebang, both appear to be more 'serious' than Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
The Charlemagne scenario in King of Kings has a Viking player. Still one of the best pre-gunpowder strategic games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men At Arms,
Has two Viking raid scenarios. This is likely not the best example of a combat simulation for the era. But, this and Clontarf are the only 'serious' Viking wargames I know of. Though I'm sure there must be others.

I'll agree that a larger scale raid and conquest style game would be something I'd likely purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Here is a consim from the Viking era:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprisingly there are some apropos battles in Viking (and its predecessor Dark Ages). These don't deal with seaborne operations or the larger context of expansion, as they are simply battles fought between Vikings and hastily assembled forces thrown against them, but in a very slim field they are worth noting. They could be integrated with another higher level game, e.g. Strategy I, but at that point you're mostly rolling your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
Moby Dick seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed out but haven't tried yet: Vikings: Long Ships in the Mist
Despite the designer's modesty, seems historical enough for me, and free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some recent tactical games. I haven't played Invasion 1066: Stamford Bridge, yet, but it's sibling Invasion 1066: The Battle of Hastings is excellent. There's also Stamford Bridge: End of the Viking Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long out of print, but Norseman: Viking Kingdoms of the North Sea sounds like it fits what you're looking for. I picked up a copy cheap on eBay a few years ago, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might consider this when it releases: 879: Vikings – The Invasions of England

Just learned of this game this week. Looks like it might be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of completeness : Saga - it's a miniature game at the skirmish/tactical level but it does a good job of differentiating between the various combat-styles of the people of the era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
At a lower scale, there's the old microgame The Fury of the Norsemen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sheppard
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"The Lord will raise a standard up and lead his people on."-King Alfred the Great
mbmbmbmbmb

These games are Vol1 and Vol2 in the Alfred the Great Series ,they deal with the invasion of Wessex by the Vikings from 871AD .Vol3 in the first Alfred trilogy should be released by High Flying Dice Games by Xmas.
regards
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.