Subject: MYTH: Search Events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been at this on and off now for quite some time and when Endevor suggested a few weeks back, he wanted to do cards, that add events to tiles based on the tile art, I picked this up again.

While I hope to have different event card decks for things like weather, obstacles, etc. this post will focus on search events.

How will searching a tile work?

When you want to search, discard a treasure token from the darkness board and draw a search event card.
You can search any space on a tile, but you can only hope to find something really cool by searching specific locations like barrels, headstones, sacks, etc.

How often you can search on a tile depends on its size:

4x6 - 1 time
6x6 - 1 time
12x12 - 2 times

On a combined tile you can still search each tile seperately. So on a 4x12 you can search 1 time on the first tile and a second time on the second tile.

The search card will tell you what you have to roll to be successful at your seach. Seaching is a NCA and therefore requires the hero to spend 1 MP.
Before the roll, read the rules in the yellow information box. They will tell you if there are some additional rules / conditions that apply to your search roll.
If you roll equal or higher than the value given in the top right corner of the card, your search was successful.
Like on quest cards, the green box tells you, what you get if you are successful. The red box tells you, what happens if your search was not successful.
Each box has two areas: The top area tells you what you get when your search was successful, but you weren’t searching any of the special locations.
The bottom area tells you what you get when your search was successful and you were acutally searching one of the special locations listed. Same goes for the failure box.

Here is a first mock-up of a search event card:

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this! They should jump on this idea and make these things part of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's yet another great idea. Thinking about it I would probably use it more when the tile is almost cleared but there is not enough monsters left to get the remaining treasure tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
It's yet another great idea. Thinking about it I would probably use it more when the tile is almost cleared but there is not enough monsters left to get the remaining treasure tokens.

And that would be a smart move. Would also fit thematically - the worst is over, the heroes have same time to breath and search the place.

Edit: I'm trying to figure out, how many of those cards I would have to create, to have enough different, interesting searches. I think I will try to stick to re-occuring things (like barrels, logs, sacks, bedrolls, etc.) for the special locations, so there is actual a chance to get those.

I'm thinking about 20 or so cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I like this idea. Having the items be somewhat specific to the tile is very cool.

I would not put a limit on the number of times you can search, but would increase the TN after searching. This way, your first search is "easy", but each subsequent search gets tougher and tougher to find stuff, as the area has already been looted.

You could use the patch downloads for inspiration here, as the modules have searchable terrain in them with TN's and possible "rewards". I liked that they included those in the setup for Revenant and Fireborne, but like the thought that every tile should have some kind of searchable area.

With regards to # of cards to create, I think you need one for each type of tile image, at least. Or, instead of cards, just populate a search list based off the tile numbers.

You could also have a chart with varying rewards depending on a fate die roll. Example:

Tile 1A
Searchable? Yes
TN to Search: 7+, +1 each additional search
Rewards:
Guile: 3 gold
Arcane: health potion
Faith: anti-venom potion
Rage: health potion
Nature: anti-venom potion
Darkness: -2 vitality

Failure results:
Darkness: spawn creature/trap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions!

I like the idea to allow additional searches at an increased cost:

- First search on a tile costs 1 treasure token.
- Second search on the same tile costs 2 treasure tokens.

I don't want tiles with fixed search lists. I tend to use some tiles a lot more than others and it would bore me to death, if everytime I visit e.g. the campfire tile, I'd see the same 6 options.

IMHO MYTH already lags a sense of exploration and my hope is, that with these cards, I can bring some of that excitement back in (and with the other tile events I have planned).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a neat idea. Once again your choosing the tile adds to the player's available decisions. The penalty isn't bad, but it's there so there is a consequence.

Presumably you'd have to look at all the current tiles and come up with a list of the various types of "terrain" the player might try to search. Also presumably, the story quest or adventure might override the cards. And don't forget you have little items you can lay on top of the cards so don't forget those in the analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
It's a neat idea. Once again your choosing the tile adds to the player's available decisions. The penalty isn't bad, but it's there so there is a consequence.

Presumably you'd have to look at all the current tiles and come up with a list of the various types of "terrain" the player might try to search. Also presumably, the story quest or adventure might override the cards. And don't forget you have little items you can lay on top of the cards so don't forget those in the analysis.

Yeah, I'm already through all the tiles. I was thinking about the tokens as well, but usually they are already placed with a special purpose (for a quest or module). I will start with the stuff you can see on the tiles for now and see how long it takes me to come up with interesting cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew H
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd been thinking of finding a way to have lootable objects on the map as well. I had settled on having a number of tokens that could be placed by the players and then when a player is next to said tokens they could search them but I like this idea a lot better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3 more events, so you can see in what direction I want to take this. The card system allows to push this quite a bit past a simple "either-get-x-or-don't-get-x" type of stuff.

If you have ideas for more search events, please post them here!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to check to make sure I wasn't in the Shadows of Brimstone forum. There is no dynamite in a fantasy world. And it's hard to do primitive explosives and time it or set it up as a booby trap. You could try explosive runes (a magical sort of explosive trap) though.

That said, I would almost prefer your cards to the Shadows of Brimstone scavenge cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hear the Trickster, Prof. Rustysprocket and a whole army of Clockwork minions would like to discuss your rather narrow view of "fantasy" with you... I'm out, mate. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only clockwork looking minions I've seen are the "elementals". Maybe you're referring to a "journeyman" item? Or the crossover robot?

I know this is a boardgame so theoretically you could put in anything you want, but if you're looking for a modern game, why not play Mercs Recon. Part of why I like Myth is the fantasy atmosphere. Why not use something with the right veneer like rune instead of something that jerks you out of the fantasy world?

Ironically enough, when I was DM'ing D&D (2nd and 3rd edition), I tried to push an adventure that brought the D&D characters into a fantasy/tech hybrid because I thought it would be neat. Nobody but me thought so. I had done that before for a single adventure and it had worked out well (City beyond the gate). It all depends on the players. Here I think we're better off trying to maintain the fantasy feel, calling the robots or clockwork stuff golems and magical constructs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Here I think we're better off trying to maintain the fantasy feel, calling the robots or clockwork stuff golems and magical constructs.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some more events...

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Here I think we're better off trying to maintain the fantasy feel, calling the robots or clockwork stuff golems and magical constructs.

Yeah, good luck with that.

I'm often in the position of using robot minis for magic constructs in fantasy games and vice versa. Very little distinguishes them in terms of how they act or what abilities they have. The only thing that is different is magic versus technology.

If you want a perfect example, consider Skyrim and the Dwemer (Dwarves). Their constructs certainly look like Robots to me, but they are actual magical constructs powered my soul gems and magic.

Now if you broke one and was trying to fix it, THEN you'd find out what you're dealing with. Do you need an enchanter's bench or an electronics bench?

That said, even bows or crossbows are technology, it's just more primitive. You can imagine a repeating crossbow as a technological advance over a crossbow. You can imagine an advanced bow (like we have today) with sights and weights and so on. You can go beyond that with the 'tinker' character who can create cool mechanical/chemical constructions. We have a character like that -- the Trickster. He's creating amazing stuff, but not an F-22 fighter. You can even combine tech with magic -- the repeating crossbow with magical arrows and so on. But ACTUAL robots with electronics need a technological base to build which doesn't exist in a fantasy world -- unless the fantasy world is built own the ruins of a technological civilization (Tekumel) or it's connected to one (Shadows of Brimstone to the Targa Plateau).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
http://singularityhub.com/2016/09/28/how-robots-of-the-enlig...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the clockwork "creature" is feasible, but giving them intelligence and self direction is the problem. There were some supposed clockwork inventions that were advertised as having intelligence (chess players) but they were being remotely piloted by human beings.

Furthermore, the wireless (or wired) constructs designed to allow the remote piloting human to be removed from the construction were also problematic as sending complex commands over stuff like pulled wires isn't easy either. Now you could imagine magic providing a way to move and let the clockwork creature move similarly but this is little more than a golem. You might as well make a golem by magical means (which is believable within a magical world).

Actual physical robots with their own intelligence and self direction that can do complex mental and physical activities (Star Wars combat droids, R2D2, C3PO, and so on) are not possible without a whole civilization to provide the technological base to produce the parts. The closest I've seen to that even in games is wild west exodus -- their so called clockwork lawman powered by (effectively) darkstone type power systems (though that isn't what they call it). It's not clear how the goal seeking is done. Is it believable? Maybe within the game but I'm not sure a Computer Scientist would buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I didn't get the memo that explained, what "real" fantasy was... you know, where soldiers don't fight with fireplace pokers and robots don't exist and everyone lives in fear, because of the FP (Fantasy-Police). Oh, the poor soul who can't recide their D&D player handbook or prove their identity with a clean and stamped character sheet... they sack you and earse you. They can do it, you know. For real. Because they have magic. BAM and your offending, unconformity fantasy life is over...

TBH reading your posts about why this and that can't be in a fantasy world makes me cringe and the "logic" behind it even makes my brain hurt - especially the "it-is-what-it-is" way you present it, as though there was a guidebook to what kind of worlds people can make-up in their imagination.

Play this game however it makes you happy but please, pretty please stop trying to convince people how THEIR fantasy world has to look like.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
I think I didn't get the memo that explained, what "real" fantasy was... you know, where soldiers don't fight with fireplace pokers and robots don't exist and everyone lives in fear, because of the FP (Fantasy-Police). Oh, the poor soul who can't recide their D&D player handbook or prove their identity with a clean and stamped character sheet... they sack you and earse you. They can do it, you know. For real. Because they have magic. BAM and your offending, unconformity fantasy life is over...

TBH reading your posts about why this and that can't be in a fantasy world makes me cringe and the "logic" behind it even makes my brain hurt - especially the "it-is-what-it-is" way you present it, as though there was a guidebook to what kind of worlds people can make-up in their imagination.

Play this game however it makes you happy but please, pretty please stop trying to convince people how THEIR fantasy world has to look like.

Thank you!

I'm not sure what your point is. This is a discussion group where people come to talk -- to discuss ideas. No-one is trying to tell you how to think about a game, we're just here to talk and have fun. Lighten up dude!

Also bear in mind this particular line of thought was a result of introducing dynamite into a Myth effect. I merely pointed out that dynamite is a pretty high tech explosive that tends to draw you out of the "fantasy" feel and that it was easy to have something that does the same thing with a more fantasy theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I love the event cards that you've posted so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'm not sure what your point is.

Dude, I think we have to settle this and except, that I'm just a serious "introducing-dynamite-into-a-MYTH-effect"-offender. I totally deserve what ever non-high-tech-fantasy-appropriate-punishment you have in mind. And I swear, I will never ever forget the fact, that:

"There is no dynamite in a fantasy world". Peace!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
torva wrote:
I love the event cards that you've posted so far!

Thanks! I hope I can come up with a few more. If you have any ideas, just post them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Ok, here are some attempts. They may need a little work:

Unwishing Well 4+
General Success: Draw 1 white item card.
Well, Fountain Success: Take the top 3 white item cards, remove 1 from the game, place each of the others on the top or bottom of the white item deck. Draw 1 white item card.
General Failure: You find nothing.
Well, Fountain Failure: Remove the top white item card from the game.

Evil Designs 5+
General Success: Gain 1 gold.
Any Furniture Success: Keep this card. The next trap you face has -2 TN to disarm. Then this card is discarded.
General Failure: You find nothing
Any Furniture Failure: Keep this card. The next trap you face has +1 TN to disarm. Then this card is discarded.

Strange Brew 9+
Alchemist gains 3 to search roll.
General Success: Gain any potion of your choice.
General Failure: Discard 1 potion, if able.

Dark Idol 7+
Guile heroes gain 2 to search role.
General Success: Gain 1 serendipity.
General Failure: Gain 3 threat and all other heroes on the tile gain 1 threat.

Hidden Stash 5+
General Success: Draw 1 treasure token.
Tree, Bush Success: Draw 3 treasure tokens. Add a random agent card to the darkness draw deck and shuffle the draw deck. When the agent is drawn, add the agent to the tile on the edge nearest the hero with the highest threat. The agent card is removed from the darkness deck. Then draw another darkness card.
General Failure: You find nothing.
Tree, Bush Failure: Add a random agent card to the darkness draw deck and shuffle the draw deck. When the agent is drawn, add the agent to the tile on the edge nearest the hero with the highest threat. The agent card is removed from the darkness deck. Then draw another darkness card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, Tim! Great ideas! Especially like the "Evil Designs".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.