43.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmb
Most (all?) of the cards allowing you to build a city have the building tag, allowing you to spend steel to help pay for the cost. Similarly, most (all?) of the astoroid cards have the space tag, allowing you to spend titanium.

But standard projects don't have tags, so steel/titanium can not be used for those. Since most of the standard projects seem like just "vanilla" versions of the effects granted by similar project cards, thematically it would make sense to have similar tags on the standard projects (say, building tag on power plant & city, space tag on asteroid).

Is there a mechanical/gameplay-related reason why this isn't so?

By the way, love the game. Easily game of the year for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe there are (at least) two reasons:

1) Those that get rebates/pay with steel/titanium on certain tags could get too cheap standard projects, so it would be even more attractive to play standard projects than card projects.
2) You have no possibility to keep track of those tags to be counted towards any mechanics counting tags
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:

1) Those that get rebates/pay with steel/titanium on certain tags could get too cheap standard projects, so it would be even more attractive to play standard projects than card projects.
2) You have no possibility to keep track of those tags to be counted towards any mechanics counting tags

While 1) is totally valid, I believe 2) isn't, that is the same case as for events
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect adding tags to the standard projects would make a steel/titanium strategy too strong as compared to the other strategies, and would therefore make certain Corporations stronger than others. Going for a steel/titanium strategy still requires you to draw building/space cards to use your steel/titanium. If you could use these resources on standard projects without having to draw specific cards, the "luck of the draw" would be removed from that strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
Duinhir wrote:
While 1) is totally valid, I believe 2) isn't, that is the same case as for events

All event cards are saved for each player and therefore easily tracked after being played if needed, even if they should not be considered when doing final scoring, so yes, I consider it's still valid. Of course you could make a rule that the standard projects are to be considered as events in that sense if they had tags...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
orjanalmen wrote:

about 2) I don't think that there is a real need to get the tag and with that keep track of the tags. The ability to use your resources, is all what is asked for. In my last game, beginner rules, I was not seeing a titanium tag before last round, and that card did nothing, though I played it in spite anyways.

But I think reason 1)has a strong point. An engine could get quite out of hand with no need for further matching cards.

But some of that again could be counted for with the ability to use steel/titanium unmodified by other cards in your engine . But then it gets clunky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
jondifool wrote:
about 2) I don't think that there is a real need to get the tag and with that keep track of the tags. The ability to use your resources, is all what is asked for. In my last game, beginner rules, I was not seeing a titanium tag before last round, and that card did nothing, though I played it in spite anyways.

It IS a real deal to keep track of tags on standard projects if they had any.

For example: With a plant tag on the greenery standard project, some other cards could become too effective (for example the card giving you an plant production for every two plant tags played by you). If there was a tag on the standard project, you would need to keep track of those tags for this card.

With the standard projects not having tags, you save that problem now and to the future of cards in any forthcoming expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
I understand what you are saying , that it is a problem if you have to get the tag when you using the action. And to avoid that hazzle it may be better without.

But I don't think that's necessary. I am talking about NOT having to get the tag. The simple rule then is that tags follows the card, not the action, so with a standard project you just don't get the tag.
And that would work perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.