$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.4% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: I finally got Arcadia Quest. Awesome! Good advice for first playthrough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
I've been wanting the game for years but the price always kept me from it. Until now woo! Ordered last night so I'll have it tomorrow and I'll be introducing to my game group in a couple of weeks - and this is where you guys come in!

Any pitfalls today avoid or good bits of advice for getting a good first playthrough?

I'll be playing solo a few times to get acquainted with the rules ofc. I'm really hoping this can be a good, fun and fast game that gets a lot of plays so if there's any good tip four teaching others two play, reducing setup time etc. now is the time to share

Haha I realize I should just sit down and play but damn it I'm exited and need to kill the time before the game arrives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep your map tiles stored in order. They are numbered 1-9 and A/B sides. It helps with map setup if they are in order right out of the box so you can quickly grab the ones that you want.

Building custom trays out of foam core like you see a lot in the forums here helps as well. Make 4 smaller trays that hold guild tokens, life and death tokens as well as guild bases and things like that which can be quickly handed out to each player at the beginning of the game.

Take a good look at how the Payback Actions work in the game. A lot of players make mistakes with the rules for this in their first few games. It can be confusing if you don't really read the section thoroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
When messing around solo, try and create some weird or interesting Line of Sight situations so you will know how to handle them when they come up in normal play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Keep your map tiles stored in order. They are numbered 1-9 and A/B sides. It helps with map setup if they are in order right out of the box so you can quickly grab the ones that you want.

Take a good look at how the Payback Actions work in the game. A lot of players make mistakes with the rules for this in their first few games. It can be confusing if you don't really read the section thoroughly.

Really good suggestions. Make sure you know the difference between guard reactions and payback reactions, when they trigger and what the controlling player can do. The guard reactions are not intuitive for many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also its best to play a campaign as indicated so that players get to familiarize themselves with the available equipment/heroes step by step.

jumping ahead might cause issues due to unforseen strong combinations in equipment/effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is really pretty easy to learn I think, I played through a full Imperial Assault campaign and STILL didn't fully understand LoS by the end. Arcadia Quest does an amazing job streamlining everything.

My big suggestion would be mostly to commit people to playing at least 2, preferably 3 scenario's back to back. I think this is key to fully appreciating the game. Every time I've come across someone who was not too keen on the game, they played just the first scenario and thought it was too fast, too luck driven, and not very interesting... and the first scenario's are! The game grows in complexity, length, tactics and vendetta's as you play successive games.

Also worth emphasizing is that doing bad in a scenario isn't as bad as it seems. The only true "winner" is the person who deals the killing blow in the final scenario. The way loot is dispersed, you can only run away with a scenario so much, you're limited in what you can buy, you can be hate-drafted, and there are free items for those who didn't do well. There are a lot of ebbs and flows through a campaign, super tanky characters dominate early on, but heavy hitters do later.

When you teach the game, act through a few scenarios, movement, activating doors, going through portals, demonstrate guard reactions and triggering bad guys by moving past them. Also demonstrate how shooting range at a target far away while adjacent to another hostile monster would trigger both guard reactions. This stuff takes a bit to get used to, but it's fairly intuitive if you explain it like as soon as you are adjacent to a monster you are engaged in combat fending them off, if you ever divert your attention away from them, they get an attack off.

Enjoy!

I've sadly had trouble finding a consistent group of 3 other people who love this game as much as I do, I wish I could play it monthly at least. Hope your group is cooler than mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I know this might sound obvious but -
always try to end a session where the winner picked the next mission

This means that before everyone arrives on the next game night, you can already set up the map. This saves a LOT of time.

General tips and common mistakes:

* Make sure that people exhaust cards as soon as they declare an attack. People, especially new players often forget that.

* If you want to randomize player starting areas, just randomly draw curses with cost 1-4.

* Google up the FAQ and keep it open, even in your phone. Go over the basics, especially for items. Give the players a quick over view of important items before the buying round (Especially the boots)

* Remind players NOT to roll the dice on the board. Things like doors and exploration tokens will fly off easily.

* Exploration token are a mandatory pick up, but only if the character is active. If someone is being shoved (like with Wind Blast) and put over a token, he won't pick it up until his turn and he activates that character.

* Furthermore, exploration tokens can only be picked up if there is no enemy on the square. So Wisp can't run around picking everything freely.

* Amulet of Retribution is limited to inflict damage up to the amount that was inflicted. So if you get 2 damage, you can't do more than 2.

* You can't buy more than 3 items per round no matter how much money you have.

* You can keep a maximum of 1 gold no matter how much money you have left

General strategy:

* When picking equipment, notice who are the players following you. If they need something specific, think twice about it before passing them. Seth, Maya and Hobspawn need magic etc

* Keep an eye on how much money other players have. If there is an amazing armor in your hand and you're afraid Spike will get it, his player might not be able to afford it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful when putting the cover on the box at the end of a game session. With the size of this box, you could have a pretty big box fart on your hand.

Box farts are no joke to be taken lightly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Also, remember that when you are resting you unexhaust the cards, but you do not remove wounds. That's also a quite common mistake made by new players..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
msg tools
mbmb
Do not let the same player choose Spike and Seth...

Spike's power can be easily abused, with Seth being the only solid counter in core box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
edugon wrote:
Also, remember that when you are resting you unexhaust the cards, but you do not remove wounds. That's also a quite common mistake made by new players..

Also I'll add -

When a character dies, don't unexhaust its equipment since it becomes an issue when Astral Strikes hit the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
So many great replies, thanks a ton :-)

I'm picking up the game on my way home from work today so hopefully I can test it this weekend.

Hoping I can find the time to do a foam core insert for it, those are always so useful. Also super fun to do, albeit a tad time consuming haha.

And boxfarts...just embrace them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
I brought Arcadia Quest to my gaming group this weekend and it was the only game that hit the table - well except for a 20 minute filler while we had to wait for someone

Awesome game! So good. Right now I really wish I had gone for the AQ Kickstarter when it launched instead of Super Dungeon Explore Forgotten King, but how was I to know - SDE had hit the table once haha. I also didn't go for Inferno because of the price, but not I almost wish I had. This game is great!

That being said I think the base game offers lots of replay value, so I don't worry too much. When we want more heroes I will just print the new hero cards and use the SDE minis - I have both the core game and the FK kickstarter stuff, so plenty of minis. Then when...if...I get the time I'll do some cards for all of the monsters. Countless hours of play right there.

Thanks for all the advice. Playing went smooth, only guard and payback actions had to be explained alot of times, but it was no biggie. The only mistake I now realize we made was removing wound tokens from ALL heroes when resting and not just the ones being ressurrected. Ah well

I drew Jøhan, Seth and Wisp and pretty much won most of the games except the first one. Jøhan had 6 def dice pretty fast along with some decent swords so he was unstoppable. Seth never really had much action since I didn't get much magic stuff for him. Wisp was so fun to play due to her special ability - and towards the end I got the assassins cloak hah...I only scored one kill with it tho as it was the last game The guy to my right had Spike - and feared this guy getting him, since I could easily see him making the most of his special - but I think I managed to keep some good def gear from him so Spike never really was a threat at all. His Scarlet turned out really badass tho! Haha I'm rambling...I want to play again. NOW!

If there was any bad things it might be that one guy who did pretty bad in the first scenario and came out with 4 or 5 gold really never caught up - he was lagging behind missing gear mostly I think. He had Grom, Zazu and Diva.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jany Vanderlinden
Belgium
flag msg tools
Fan spotted
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked it!

Maybe a bit too late, but for my group I just send them the 'watch it played link'. That way most players knew most of the rules before we started playing. They do need to make some time because its a 40 minutes movie, but it saved us a lot of time at our gamenight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ka Mi
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agerkvist wrote:
.. Wisp was so fun to play due to her special ability

he's is a guy..! but it's your copy of the game, you can call him whatever you want..
Agerkvist wrote:

If there was any bad things it might be that one guy who did pretty bad in the first scenario and came out with 4 or 5 gold really never caught up - he was lagging behind missing gear mostly I think. He had Grom, Zazu and Diva.

First of all you don't need a lot of gear with such team.. send Diva with parrying blade into battle and let Zazu keep firing with whatever ranged stuff you have (new players do not see him as ranged, but he is perfect for that). Also remember you can switch gears, tokens when resting..!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.