24 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Love Dominion -- Which Expansions are Essential? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Dominion is one of my favorite games. I am receiving the 2nd edition upgrade pack for the Core set today -- excited about that.

I want to buy like 1 or 2 more expansions, and limit it to that. I want to be able to fit everything in one box (the original / core box).

I presume Intrigue would be the next one to get?

What after that?

If you were to play only 2 expansions, which would they be?

Thanks!

P.S. If I were to get Intrigue should I get the first edition (which I think is still available) and buy the upgrade pack to that (that way I can play the old cards if I want).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaside and Prosperity.

Though once you get them you will want all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Take a look at the threads in the forum. This question or one like it has been asked many many times before. And probably will again...

boardgamegeekess wrote:
Dominion is one of my favorite games. I am receiving the 2nd edition upgrade pack for the Core set today -- excited about that.

I want to buy like 1 or 2 more expansions, and limit it to that. I want to be able to fit everything in one box (the original / core box).

I presume Intrigue would be the next one to get?

What after that?

If you were to play only 2 expansions, which would they be?

Thanks!

P.S. If I were to get Intrigue should I get the first edition (which I think is still available) and buy the upgrade pack to that (that way I can play the old cards if I want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at each expansion's ratings, you'll get a good idea for how the BGG community feels about them on the whole.

Empires - 8.7
Adventures - 8.3
Prosperity - 8.3
Guilds & Cornucopia - 8.2
Dark Ages - 8.1
Seaside - 8.1
Hinterlands - 8.0
Alchemy - 7.0

Empires is the newest, which may explain its higher rating. Alchemy is the outlier here. It introduces the whole "you need both coins and a potion in your hand to buy this card" thing. That plus the limited number of cards that actually require the potion make it less appealing to many players.

Personally, I have and enjoy all of the expansions, but my least favorites are Alchemy (for the reasons stated above), Dark Ages (just not a fan of the darker tone of the set), and Cornucopia (feels like you're being pushed too hard to gain lots of different cards in your deck). Otherwise, I love and strongly recommend all the rest.

But the best advice I can give you is check out the cards included in each set and see which ones are most appealing to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Seaside and Prosperity.

Ditto! Those are the ones that always come to mind.

(I guess you may skip Alchemy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:

I'd buy it last, but I wouldn't skip it. There's some good stuff in there.

Empires, Adventures and Dark Ages are the three most game-changing expansions. They are three of my favorites, but I definitely wouldn't pick any of them up as my first or second expansion.

You can't go wrong with Seaside and Prosperity (I think Seaside adds the more interesting mechanics of the two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
AndreKada wrote:

I'd buy it last, but I wouldn't skip it. There's some good stuff in there.

By that time the Alchemy upgrade pack will be upon us and it will become awesome devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:
No.

The designer and developers say you should play with the new cards and not use the old ones. You won't be able to get those old cards after a while, and 2d will be the way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
The designer and developers say you should play with the new cards and not use the old ones.

Where do they say that? I fully plan to keep the old cards when I get the upgrade packs. The more the merrier, duds though some of them may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Whizkid wrote:
The designer and developers say you should play with the new cards and not use the old ones.

Where do they say that? I fully plan to keep the old cards when I get the upgrade packs. The more the merrier, duds though some of them may be.

Donald said, tongue in cheek, that you should stop using all the old cards except that one you can't believe he dropped. He later clarified that "that one" would be different for different people. So there was no serious suggestion to stop using old cards if you want to use them.

There are currently no "developers" working on Dominion, and haven't been for quite some time. Some of the playtesters have weighed in, but I don't think they've made any specific suggestions. I'm certainly not opposed to using the old cards. I was sad to see some of them go, although I understand the reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that—on average—games will be more fun and interesting if you stop using the removed cards. They tend to make games worse by virtue of being dead in whichever games they show up in, or by being time-consuming and annoying to resolve (Spy). Plus many of the removed cards either have similar replacements either in the update packs (Great Hall < Mill) or in other expansions (Chancellor < Scavenger [Dark Ages] or Messenger [Adventures]).

If you've played Dominion for a long time and you're attached to these old cards, then by all means keep playing with them. But nostalgia is really the only reason to do so. If you're a new player, then I definitely wouldn't bother with them. Your games will be more enjoyable without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:

If you think you might want to play with the old cards sometime, by all means get the 1st edition + update pack. It's not that those cards are broken or anything, just a little weaker/less popular. Worst case scenario (assuming you play randomly with all expansions mixed) you'll wind up with a kingdom card in play that's more of a dud than usual. On the other hand, you get to play with Tribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Lar
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I play with all the sets and totally random draw. Any card drawn for a Kingdom can end up being a useless card for that particular kingdom.

I now wish I had the card sets we played because 4 of the 5 cards designated for removal in Dominion played a key part in those 4 games. Secret Chamber was the only card that I can't recall being useful in a recent Kingdom.

In every game I play there are dead cards. They don't work with the best cards needed to win the Kingdom, so they aren't purchased/gained. If you play random draw and then leave the unused cards for the next Kingdom, eventually you will find every card to be effective. When you have that many cards to draw from, using all sets, you don't see the "bad ones" very often, and they just may be useful.

Having Landmarks and Events available also can change the effectiveness of the other cards in the Kingdom. That may well be the case in the 4 games I mentioned, as we always have 2 Events and 1 Landmark in every game (house rule). So, to answer the original question, you gotta buy 'em all.

I think people complain too much IMHO. But I guess if people didn't complain half of this Forum (these Fori?) would disappear, and we wouldn't get some new cards. I read all the posts and can't understand how you (not you in particular, but the general "you") realistically can find much wrong with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guidobass wrote:
half of this Forum (these Fori?)

"Fora", I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
guidobass wrote:
Secret Chamber was the only card that I can't recall being useful in a recent Kingdom.

I luuurve Secret Chamber, even though most strategy players don't like this card. At the beginning of the game, you use it to buy a 4-gold card, even though the rest of your hand has coppers and estates. In the middle of the game, you wave it around even though it doesn't stop an attack, then set up your hand for the next draw. It's best to have a strong hand each turn, but SC at least can convert two middling hands into a weak hand this turn (which gets attacked) and a strong hand next. Since it affects the top card of your deck, you also get to gloat when someone attacks the top card of your deck -- keep their hands off your Gold and show them an Estate! If attacked, you can even put the SC back on top of your deck for next turn, if you happen to know what cards are left in your deck!

Anyway, for OP:
* Euro: Dominion, Prosperity, Seaside.
* Ameritrash: Intrigue, Hinterlands, Guilds and Cornucopia, Adventure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Anyway, for OP:

Man, I don't understand (or agree with) this division at all. I mean all of Dominion is definitely Euro. But even beyond that, what made you choose which sets for which category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have eight of the 'original' nine sets (sans Alchemy). I'm still contemplating whether to foray into Adventures and Empires.

Though my favorite expansion is probably Hinterlands, I think if you are looking to only get two expansions, Seaside and Prosperity would be the ones I think would be most essential. Some of the cards in later expansions are quite wordy and may be somewhat confusing for those who haven't progressed through at least some of the earlier sets.

Seaside is probably my second favorite expansion, introducing Duration Cards and 'mat' cards (nice!), gold coins (pretty good) and embargo tokens (meh!) to the game. It really does "expand" the game nicely.

Prosperity has never been one of my favorites, but I'm definitely in the minority on this. It DOES have a lot of good stuff like Victory tokens and treasure cards that play sort of like Action cards. One of the big draws is an added level of Treasure card (Platinum, worth 5 coins) and Victory Card (Colony, worth a whopping 10 VP).

Once you have those two expansions, IF you later decide to add another expansion, the complexity level of the later offerings won't be such a huge leap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
guidobass wrote:
Secret Chamber was the only card that I can't recall being useful in a recent Kingdom.

I luuurve Secret Chamber, even though most strategy players don't like this card.

Yes, as a reaction card, I don't think that most people really 'get' Secret Chamber all that well. While it certainly doesn't offer the blanket protection of 'Moat', I think SC is more playful and actually better against certain attacks. While O don't think it's a 'great' card by any means, I always enjoy seeing it in the kingdom when there's an attack present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:

When somebody said these nearly same, eerie words about X-Wings Minis to an interested newcomer, that's what got me to say "no way in hell", and not bother with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
guidobass wrote:

"Fora", I believe.

The Guardian's style guide says:

Fora = more than one Roman marketplace.
Forums = more than one internet message board.

Make of that what you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gough
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
Salt-Man Z wrote:
guidobass wrote:

"Fora", I believe.

I find that using "fora" will get you kicked for being snobbish/overly prescriptive, whereas if I say "forums", I can feel the pedants wanting to correct me to the "correct" plural. Obviously, there is nothing worse than being thought of as less intelligent than one is, so my choice is clear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UrbanSpaceman wrote:
JackRudd wrote:
Salt-Man Z wrote:
guidobass wrote:

"Fora", I believe.

I find that using "fora" will get you kicked for being snobbish/overly prescriptive, whereas if I say "forums", I can feel the pedants wanting to correct me to the "correct" plural. Obviously, there is nothing worse than being thought of as less intelligent than one is, so my choice is clear...

You're all wrong, the plural is "foctopi".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conmanau wrote:
You're all wrong, the plural is "foctopi".

Foctopodes, my good man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:
Anyway, for OP:

Man, I don't understand (or agree with) this division at all. I mean all of Dominion is definitely Euro. But even beyond that, what made you choose which sets for which category?

The ones I stuck in Ameritrash *tend* to have more complicated text than the Euro ones. You'll note that BGG'ers, who are mostly Euro players, prefer Seaside and Prosperity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.