Subject: Raptor vs Mr. Jack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys,

I am seriously considering purchasing either Raptor or Mr. Jack.

It seems like they have some similarities such as they're both designed by Bruno Cathala, neat mix of luck and strategy, asymmetric, and deceptively simple yet deep gameplay.

For those of you who know both games, which would you recommend?

I would probably like the one that has the deeper strategy, a game you can actually get better at with more plays.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think you can go wrong with either, as long as you accept that there will be times where luck of the cards drawn seems to swing the advantage to one side or the other. From what I've read on the forums, people seem to feel the sting worse with Raptor.

But really, neither game is meant to be a perfect information, deep strategy game. The luck (and lack of perfect information) keeps things a bit less intense, but both games still allow for plenty of deep thinking and strategy.

I guess - assuming both themes appeal to you equally - I'd recommend Raptor as the board is a bit more open and allows for a slightly larger decision space. But, again, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Not sure if that helps or not! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with the theme that appeals to you most. Both are quick, clever games, and whichever one you play your skill will increase as you gain experience. You'll buy both in the end, so don't worry too much about which one you grab first.

P.S. BGG provides a Recommendations Forum specifically for threads of this type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys!

That's good to know that I can't really go wrong with either one. They both look great. I may have to blindly throw a dart.

And Sphere, I actually considered posting on the Recommendations Forum, but I often feel like those posts (if about a couple specific games like this one) can get lost in the shuffle. Maybe I should have posted it there instead though. Thanks for making me aware of it either way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to throw in I owned Mr Jack for several years, and now Raptor for a year - I'd take Raptor almost everytime now; I found some of the overthinking required to be a good "Mr Jack" much less fun in what was supposed to be a light-ish 2-player asymetrical game. Still plenty of "what will my opponent do" moments in raptor, and lots of tense moments too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Ben!

I've been starting to lean more towards Raptor, so that recommendation helps confirm that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
And Sphere, I actually considered posting on the Recommendations Forum, but I often feel like those posts (if about a couple specific games like this one) can get lost in the shuffle. Maybe I should have posted it there instead though. Thanks for making me aware of it either way

In my experience threads in the Recommendations forum do just fine, but that isn't why I suggested the alternative. I find myself on the verge of writing a (probably tedious) explanation, but instead I'll simply say that the reason why BGG would provide a designated Recommendations Forum outside the game database is worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree! I've used it several times, and now I'm feeling all the regrets. Haha next time I'll just stick with that forum. It definitely does seem to make more sense. Only reason I did this was to try to target folks that like these two games, and that might not be perusing the recommendation forum. Nevertheless, I think you're right on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both games.
The best insight I can give is that it's far easier to play both sides in Raptor than in Mr. Jack, especially for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.