fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
16.2 Units SR‘ed by land may move only over controlled,
supplied hexes (including hexes controlled by an ally).
Any SR'ed unit (ground, air, or naval) may not be
adjacent to nor pass adjacent to any enemy unit
including air, naval, airbase counter, and partisan at the
start, end, or at any point of its SR

Rule 16.2 does not mention BH counters, but Airbase counters are mentioned, so I am wondering if BH counters also prevent SR through hexes adjacent to it. By RAW, I would say no they don't, but am wondering if we are missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
Quote:
16.2 Units SR‘ed by land may move only over controlled,
supplied hexes (including hexes controlled by an ally).
Any SR'ed unit (ground, air, or naval) may not be
adjacent to nor pass adjacent to any enemy unit
including air, naval, airbase counter, and partisan at the
start, end, or at any point of its SR

Rule 16.2 does not mention BH counters, but Airbase counters are mentioned, so I am wondering if BH counters also prevent SR through hexes adjacent to it. By RAW, I would say no they don't, but am wondering if we are missing something.

I'm gonna say no. A BH counter isn't actually a unit, per se. It merely represents a "rally point" for the Bridge/Beach head.

Such is my theory, anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only point that makes me wonder is that an airbase is also a counter, not a unit, but it does block SR. However, if there is nothing beyond the rule I quoted, than I agree that a BH counter should not block SR movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
The only point that makes me wonder is that an airbase is also a counter, not a unit, but it does block SR. However, if there is nothing beyond the rule I quoted, than I agree that a BH counter should not block SR movement.

I am not sure either. The only possible distinction is that an air base counter represents a lot of investment in infrastructure and manpower required to maintain an airbase. This could possibly interfere with any significant enemy troop movement. As was stated earlier, a BH is more of a "rally point" for a concentration of forces at a major geographic obstacle (river crossings and beachheads).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
An airbase is also technically a unit in that it is moved via SR. A BH is simply taken away when no longer necessary or when needed elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with earlier comments. An airbase remains on the map and must be moved by SR after initial placement. Thus it has at least some of the characteristics of a "unit". A BH marker does not. Thus, since a BH marker is not explicitly mentioned I would not extrapolate the SR restriction to include BH markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bradley
United States
flag msg tools
The answer really lies in what both represent; then it is quite logical.

An airbase represents not only the efforts to create a structure for air power to operate, but conceivably also the personnel that might be connected to that structure (security, maintenance, etc).

Whereas a bridgehead represents more a status - the successful efforts of a military force to push into an area and secure it against the surrounding defenders. Yes, it would likely include some limited defensive structure. But when either the advancing force moves beyond the BH area, or they have been driven back, then the BH (a status) no longer exists.

AB = structure
BH = status, some structure (unattended it is nothing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.