Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Magnetic Firefly board + Big Damn Crate (our set up!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Ricketts
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
hi all thought id share mine and the girlfriends Firefly set up with you!

as the title says its a magnetic board, so all the ships are magnetised and the blue and red things are alert tokens (blue = alliance - red = reavers)

So Pre-Game -->

After Set-Up but before play -->

Mid Game -->

Please excuse the washing in the background!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! The alert tokens stand out very effectively - what are you using there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ricketts
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
they are just magnetic notice board pins got from ebay... not sure on the rules about posting links though... but after looking at ways of making the normal tokens magnetic, we thought they would be easier

these things -->

and if you want to search for them they are 'Traditional Magnetic Map Pin Magnets'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive the question if it is a no brainer, but why mark the alerts on the board? It has been a while since I played this beloved game. Your magnetic board really is inspiring by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ricketts
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
when you go into the sector, roll a dice for each type of token (reaver/alliance), comes up less or equal to the number of tokens... and either a reaver or alliance ship turns up...

reaver ships drop them when they move out of a square, alliance drop them based on nav cards

we were playing the 'awfully crowded in my sky' set up card --- hense the masses of tokens!

and thanks for the niceness about the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I trouble you a bit more? The magnetic board - is it just a magnetic white board like you buy at a teacher supply store? Also, did you glue your map to the board or adhere another way? Obviously I am very intrigued. I love this game, but it is a space hog (forgive the pun). I moved recently and have not built my new game room, so I no longer have a large game table available for some of the bigger games. A set up like yours would make it viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ricketts
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Could I trouble you a bit more? The magnetic board - is it just a magnetic white board like you buy at a teacher supply store? Also, did you glue your map to the board or adhere another way? Obviously I am very intrigued. I love this game, but it is a space hog (forgive the pun). I moved recently and have not built my new game room, so I no longer have a large game table available for some of the bigger games. A set up like yours would make it viable.

No problem at all... the space thing is exactly why we needed to make this! it is a wooden backing with a thin layer of metal glued to it... then the map glued to that with impact adhesive (but be warned there are a couple of 'types' of the big damn verse map... one has a cross latice effect on the back, which the glue will pull through leaving you with a 'stippled' effect on your board... we found this out the hard way! and had t restart!) frame then built round that. corners added to hide the frame joins (yeah measured them about 5mm short!).

we looked at a magnetic whiteboard option, but the glue didnt seem to want to bond correctly, plus with the thickness of the mat we had concerns about the things sticking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you storing this board?... or is it forever on your table ready to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ricketts
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
dyepbr wrote:

Hung on the wall, the plan is to play with it hung up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Apart from solving the table space problem, it looks really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iaisu wrote:
Hung on the wall...

Nice! Yet more evidence that board game art IS art!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! If you ever get a chance to write up a tutorial on the whole project, I'd love to read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Damn Crate is a big help on table space too. It's pricey, but to me it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is incredible.

Nice job.

A tutorial would indeed be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Zaandam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Peek-a-Imp :O
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks gorgeous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:

The latter is really the only right answer. "You can't take the table from me!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Looks sweeeeet.

Might have to talk my wife into trying this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jake campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the tutorial. This is brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
What is the big ship with the blue-green detailing? The one that started next to Osiris?

This is really cool, though. Love it. My games haven't hit the table at all since I moved last month, so I'm bummed that I haven't had a chance to play at all. I'd love to have that kind of set-up, though. I haven't picked up any of the expansions yet, but I know that once I get those rolling, I'm gonna need a storage solution. The Broken Token BDC is probably my best bet unless something comes soon from GF9 that either trumps it or obsoletises it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very nice stuff!

Who's Dakota?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torgo shuffle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iaisu wrote:
when you go into the sector, roll a dice for each type of token (reaver/alliance), comes up less or equal to the number of tokens... and either a reaver or alliance ship turns up...

reaver ships drop them when they move out of a square, alliance drop them based on nav cards

we were playing the 'awfully crowded in my sky' set up card --- hense the masses of tokens!

You've got an awful lot of tokens there though - Page 7 of the Blue Sun rulebook: "Whatever the dice roll, remove all the tokens from the Sector."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ricketts
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
torgoshuffle wrote:
iaisu wrote:

You've got an awful lot of tokens there though - Page 7 of the Blue Sun rulebook: "Whatever the dice roll, remove all the tokens from the Sector."

Yep your right, however we don't remove tokens until they have resolved as a contact event as we like areas of space to get very dangerous and feel like 'no go' risky areas that you need to tool up to go into... IE needing a reaver flage and flak gun to get to Miranda... We feel it's more thematic :-D

As for a tutorial we will try and put some instructions and points together so you may learn from our mistakes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torgo shuffle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iaisu wrote:
Yep your right, however we don't remove tokens until they have resolved as a contact event as we like areas of space to get very dangerous and feel like 'no go' risky areas that you need to tool up to go into... IE needing a reaver flage and flak gun to get to Miranda... We feel it's more thematic :-D

As for a tutorial we will try and put some instructions and points together so you may learn from our mistakes!

Ha ha, cool! I guess for a 2-player game that could work quite nicely - we only ever have 3-player minimum and usually 4-player, or more ... that's a lot of Nav cards and we'd probably be looking at running out of tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Backman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
If you want fairly cheap, custom made magnetic counters and one inch or larger is fine you can make them at ArtsCow. I'm thinking about doing a magnetic main board for my Intercept game and ordered some ship counters from ArtsCow, works really well!
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/magnet/mini-magnet-96

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.