Hide
5 Posts

Chariot Race» Forums » General

Subject: Quick Play vs Simulation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Earl Krause
msg tools
We used to play a lot of Circus Maximus back in the day. Large custom made boards with painted minis for pieces. We would run tournaments at conventions with heats and finals on the last day. Yes the games were long but the fun was immense. While I will pick up Chariot Race (they could not come up with a better name?) to try, I fear that in the sake of streamlining chariot racing the memorable moments will be gone. Reading through the rules I don't see whiping your opponents horses as the are about to entry a corner speeding them up to dangerous speeds, heavy chariots catching a light chariot and cutting them up with their scythed wheels, your chariot disintegrating close to the finish line and holding onto the reins to drag over the finish line, barely alive, but victorious. It might be good to scratch that quick chariot racing itch or to play with more casual gamers but I feel it will not live up to the excitement of the Avalon Hill's simulation from the past. I even had plans to laser cut a new Circus Maximus track after my Christmas rush and paint up new minis to play large scale games again. I guess I will see if this game puts me off my plans and satisfies my desire to race for glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelbar wrote:
We used to play a lot of Circus Maximus back in the day. Large custom made boards with painted minis for pieces. We would run tournaments at conventions with heats and finals on the last day. Yes the games were long but the fun was immense. While I will pick up Chariot Race (they could not come up with a better name?) to try, I fear that in the sake of streamlining chariot racing the memorable moments will be gone. Reading through the rules I don't see whiping your opponents horses as the are about to entry a corner speeding them up to dangerous speeds, heavy chariots catching a light chariot and cutting them up with their scythed wheels, your chariot disintegrating close to the finish line and holding onto the reins to drag over the finish line, barely alive, but victorious. It might be good to scratch that quick chariot racing itch or to play with more casual gamers but I feel it will not live up to the excitement of the Avalon Hill's simulation from the past. I even had plans to laser cut a new Circus Maximus track after my Christmas rush and paint up new minis to play large scale games again. I guess I will see if this game puts me off my plans and satisfies my desire to race for glory.

The Circus Maximus rule set made it feel like you were living the Ben Hur race on a tabletop. The player interactions were numerous and often resulted in gloriously tragic crashes.

We too had a scaled course with 25mm chariot figures. We ran the campaign modes and kept track of funds across the racing season.

I've begun assembling materials for another scale version that I can run at conventions. What miniatures have you found that would be suitable for a scaled tabletop version of Circus Maximus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Krause
msg tools
We too had done it in 25mm originally. I was thinking about scaling it down to 15 mm but have not started buying the figures yet. There is a thread on The Miniatures Page http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201146 that discusses this.

We used to make the horses and chariots on separate bases so if the horses ran loose we could do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really disagree with you on anything you've said. I've only played Circus three times and each time was at a convention and the game runner made a tablecloth version of the game that covers four tables so that it looked large and epic and lots more fun that the cardboard chit version you get out of the box. That said, as somebody who prefers games closer to the eurogames end of the spectrum I don't really see Circus as being a game I would want to play more than twice a year even if I had a copy of it. The luck factor is a bit high and there is more inter-player politics than I usually like. The other thing is that, barring player elimination, these games tend to run 3-4 hours which is not something I can normally fit into the time I have allotted with my gaming group. The gaming industry has evolved a lot in the 35 years since Circus came out and streamlining games is becoming an increasingly more desirable trait. Even if you think this is for the worse, as a publisher you still have to think about your bottom line. If I can find something that is going to fit the fun and excitement of Circus into a 2 hour window, its an instant buy for me. (Whether or not this game actually does that remains to be seen.)

On a similar note, I know that Circus has campaign rules that allow you to take winning teams from one race to the next, but it was a chore getting four people in my group to commit to playing 10 episodes of Mice and Mystics with me. I am not part of my group's Risk Legacy team, but that game got abandoned after four plays. I can't drum up enough interest in TIME Stories to justify the cost. I don't like to think of myself as a cult of the new person, but I do buy about 12-15 games/year not to mention whatever the rest of the group buys; our group has a tendency to gravitate towards whatever the new shiny is. If somebody could get a decent chariot race game down to 45 minutes, it might make a campaign mode more palatable, but even then I question how long it would really last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Krause
msg tools
I agree with you David. The two games are vastly different and it will depend on your game group as to what you play. Our old, old group only gets together a couple of times per year as we all have businesses and lives that do not allow more. When we do get together it is for a whole day and we like to play those long in-depth games that we cannot get to the table with our other groups on a weeknight. Both games will probably be in my collection but for different groups and times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.