Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What I would really like to see is a deluxe edition including the two expansions. I wonder if a Kickstarter launch would be possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like a reprint of Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition, or something even fancier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmb
steckman wrote:
You mean like a reprint of Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition, or something even fancier?

If you live near Epsom, you can see my Anniversary Edition. No touching though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
steckman wrote:

aaaah - sorry.
I didn't realise it included the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the second edition of Puerto Rico contains both expansions, but it is not available in English.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/227907/german...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Berthold wrote:
Also the second edition of Puerto Rico contains both expansions, but it is not available in English.

There is also and English second edition. Does this not include the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
German Second Edition.

Since for whatever reason the English Second Edition does not include the expansions I went for the German Second Edition. I am very pleased with the art and component quality. If there is a gripe it is with the Doubloons (for which I have ordered some metal coins) and the VPs (for which I have a DIY project).

Recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
infectedeggs wrote:
Berthold wrote:

I don't think there is an English second edition, just reprints of the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
Berthold wrote:

I don't think there is an English second edition, just reprints of the first edition.

I see. Though under versions it does state English First Edition 2002 and English Second Edition 2003. Since my German Second Edition is 2014 it would make sense the English Second Edition is not the same as the German Second Edition. This could get very confusing ......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Eh, that should probably get fixed. I suspect the Finnish and Spanish editions from 2011 and up are also errors.

See, the database entry for a game here is based on a "whats in the box" criteria. And the displayed game name is the name last used in the english language (if any).

By "whats in the box" I mean think about what expansions are bundled right in. So basically there are versions that are Puerto Rico, and Puerto Rico plus Expansion 1 and 2.

The entry for Puerto Rico is ...Puerto Rico (where we are talking about this).
The entry for Puerto Rico + Expansions 1 and 2 is Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition because thats what it was called the last time it was available in english.

So, your German Second Edition is a version under Limited Anniversary Edition and not a version under the entry for Puerto Rico.

There was a "revised first edition" in english from 2003 on up that was something like 3 typos fixed. I'm not even sure that counts as a version under the guidelines (but this is one part of the system I don't use/don't care about)

...as to why there is no English second edition, we have only speculation. It is known that Ravensburger is now publishing their english games directly. It is known that Rio Grande Games continues to publish Puerto Rico. It is known that Rio Grande Games asked to update their edition with the new art and such and Ravensburger said no. I speculate that Rio Grande is holding on to a money maker as long as possible and Ravensburger is waiting for the terms of whatever agreement are in place to expire. 2002 was a VERY different time for games, so Rio Grande may even have this licence for as long as they choose to keep printing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

...as to why there is no English second edition, we have only speculation. It is known that Ravensburger is now publishing their english games directly. It is known that Rio Grande Games continues to publish Puerto Rico. It is known that Rio Grande Games asked to update their edition with the new art and such and Ravensburger said no. I speculate that Rio Grande is holding on to a money maker as long as possible and Ravensburger is waiting for the terms of whatever agreement are in place to expire. 2002 was a VERY different time for games, so Rio Grande may even have this licence for as long as they choose to keep printing it.

I would have preferred an English edition if only to ease play with non gamers. I am happy with the German edition. Ultimately many non native English speakers are forced to use foreign language sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Started work on my victory point counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Decided to make the 5s red, so as to better distinguish them from the 1s. This is the full set. Just waiting for my coins now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.