Hide
11 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Reasons to Play Through the Ages Online? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franz Felix
msg tools
I recently understood that Through the Ages (TtA) online is quite popular.

I would like to understand why. I can see the benefits of easily being able to interupt and continue the other day, or the setup time.

However, I wonder how TtA online is different from regular computer games.

In general I guess, this question is possible for any board game, but lets stick to TtA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sefie wrote:
In general I guess, this question is possible for any board game, but lets stick to TtA.

It's a long game that takes quite a bit of skill and experience to play well. Lots of people who really like the game are going to find either they don't have the uninterrupted block of time, or friends who do, or friends who are as skilled as they would like. Those are general reasons for playing all sorts of board games online, but this one in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Felix
msg tools
Thanks for your reply!

Can you say anything on how TtA online compares to other computer games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play online as opposed to live because of a couple of reasons - time being the biggest one. It takes me about 45 minutes max to play a full advanced 2p game online. Also, its a game where you can make a mistake that dooms you to losing. Playing live, I hate conceding a game because I feel like I've wasted my opponent's time, whereas online, it's easy since the winner will get ELO rating for the win and we can play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sefie wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

Can you say anything on how TtA online compares to other computer games?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There are a million different kinds of computer games. What sort of comparison are you looking for?

It's just Through the Ages. If you know the board game, then you already have a good idea of what the video game is like. Instead of moving cards and cubes around on your table you're clicking things on your screen that do the same thing. You take a turn, then wait until it's your turn to go again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand the OP correctly, I think he is wondering why play an online implementation of a board game instead of a video game.
You are alone in front of a computer in both cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why play TTA instead of Starcraft or League of Legends?

It's like asking why go on a hike instead of bowling. Just a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Lots of people who really like the game are going to find either they don't have the uninterrupted block of time, or friends who do, or friends who are as skilled as they would like. Those are general reasons for playing all sorts of board games online, but this one in particular.

These are good points. In addition, I find that some games translate well to asynchronous online, and some less so. TTA is great for this because it has long, non-interactive turns, and relatively few of them (18ish per game per player).

OTOH, most games with a lot of short turns (or parts of turns, with interleaved "back and forth" actions), don't work as well. These can be great FTF, with little downtime and constant engagement (good traits normally), but in async play, it can become insufferable. For instance, I thought Puerto Rico (on BGA) and Thunderstone (on yucata) were not well-suited, with long waits and then small overall progress each login.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Felix
msg tools
I think this is what I mean. For me an important part with playing board games, is that board games have the social part of meeting people (strangers and friends). It seems more personal than online.

However, if you love the game, it makes sense to it play online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of TTA online,

But then I play for the games, not the people - the social side is just a necessary evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sefie wrote:
However, if you love the game, it makes sense to it play online.

Yes, for TTA, I approach this as "I love Game X, how can I play it more". But even for games I enjoy less, the convenience of async play has a lot of appeal, where you can bounce in for 10 minutes and get your gaming fix, and not have to block off hours of time.

Re-reading your OP, are you really trying to get at the general functional differences between online "ports" of board games and computer games? Since in one sense, both are computer games, why bother with a "simplified" Civ (for instance) instead of just playing Civ? Or, another way: apart from the obvious social aspects, what does a board game do that a computer game doesn't?

But I'm speculating, and maybe this is not what you wanted to discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.