Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Henderson
United States
Northport
Alabama
flag msg tools
Hi,
I have had the base game and I am about to get D-Day scenario pack. I was thinking about the U.S. and german army boxes. Reading the forums about expansion recommendations, it is commonly said that army boxes are great if you want to create your own scenarios and they give you the extra layer of high command. I am interested in making my own battles, but a quick look at the army box units leaves me asking how different are the units really in the feel/options/etc. they provide to make it worth it (as opposed to just getting D-Day and, say St. mere and Carentan. Again, I am all about the customization aspect, but as a new person to the game I am unsure how different the units really play once you get them on the board.

Another question - what exactly does "high command" add to the game?
Thanks in advance for responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Price
United Kingdom
cardiff
SOUTH WALES
flag msg tools
mb
I will be following this one Jeremy as I have just ordered the 3 army boxes and have D day on the way.
There are loads of scenarios to download on DPG site. So my plan is to just use these.
I am hoping that there will be plenty to keep me going.

Cheers
Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in DYO, get the Army Boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Henderson
United States
Northport
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks, Martin. That seems to be the common advice, but I guess I am trying to get a better sense for why that is true. I understand they give you options in terms of unit selection, but do the different units really give that much different feel when playing? Maybe this will be evident once I get a few more plays of the base game under my belt. Played twice so far. Thanks again for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some different feel, as some of the units have different specials they can purchase. What you are getting is more troops and the higher command functions. You do get more and different vehicles.

The higher command stuff only comes in to play with a LOT of points or if you create some special rules for your DYO scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing worth considering (and what clinched getting the army boxes for me) is that you only get the full suite of army options with the boxes. By that I mean being able to get artillery, smoke, airstrike etc. I feel like you need the army boxes as a sort of base for building a force, otherwise it can feel a bit restrictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyMax wrote:
One thing worth considering (and what clinched getting the army boxes for me) is that you only get the full suite of army options with the boxes. By that I mean being able to get artillery, smoke, airstrike etc. I feel like you need the army boxes as a sort of base for building a force, otherwise it can feel a bit restrictive.

The Army Box does greatly expand your options, which is one of the reasons I recommend it. It also usually fleshes out the mix of troops you have available -- adding an armor squad (in all cases). You also get a nice array of command options on the High Command board, and those can be used by Field Command as well, so you get some very useful options.

The other units are usually some different depending on the box. Germans get Sturmpionieres (mix of heavy weapons) and some additional heroes. The box has Fritz, the 0 pt hero You do get another platoon of Panzergrenadieres, but hey, its the Germans

The American box also has an Armor squad and High Command with more command options.

For the "flavor" platoons you get an recon squadron that adds some vehicles and some tricky new equipment. There is also a Heavy Weapons platoon.

Some of the other things that you might not notice at first are some of the extra options (Veteran, sticky bombs, various gear) that just give you more options when creating your own army or even scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.