$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 67.3

4,711 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Roman Beattie
msg tools
I've been thinking for a while about developing as a side project a cooperative card or grid-based combat game that either features players playing as giant monsters working together to destroy the city and survive its defences, or teaming up against a powerful city player who controls the city and its defences. Here are a few ideas I had, but I fear most of them are too derivative to be worthwhile going forward with:

My first idea was something competitive similar to smash up, but the main difference was that the monsters were battling to destroy districts in a city and the cards represented different attacks specific to the monsters. The game would be played in rounds where players would draw from their 40 card deck until they had 5 cards in hand, and alternate playing cards onto district cards (similar to bases with a threshold value before they are destroyed and players score depending on how much power worth of cards they had there), my biggest problem with this was that it was very similar to smash up and I wasn't sure how to distinguish it any further. A cooperative element could be introduced if there was a city player trying to stop the monsters from destroying their districts, and was playing cards that removed/prevented enemy cards from being played or attacked the players. Districts could also have a threshold value based on the number of monsters in the game.

The second idea was a scenario based cooperative game where each player takes control of a powerful monster on a grid, and a single player takes control of the city and its defences. In some scenarios the monsters would win if they destroyed certain buildings, but could become empowered for the rest of the scenario by destroying secondary buildings as well that were not part of their main objective. The closest comparison would be to imperial assault, though the enemies are squads of tiny soldiers, helicopters and tanks and monsters could gain levels in a similar manner to zombicide as they earn destruction points by destroying enemies and buildings.

Another idea was a cooperative deckbuilder or fixed-deck card game that could play like a reverse Xenoshyft where the monsters have so many turns to destroy the city and have to face increasingly powerful defenders as the destroy buildings, but I fear anything I develop would be too derivative of existing games. I'm open to hearing any ideas you might have and would appreciate any suggestions on how to make any of the above ideas less derivative. I'm also wondering which of the above games sounds the most promising, if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennisthebadger has a good satirical kaiju card game with a mix of giant monsters and army cards.

Kaiju City was a neat looking tile-layer competitive game but not sure if it was ever released.

Have you seen Monsterpocalypse or Monsters Menace America?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
As someone who has designed a kaiju miniatures game (Giant Monster Rampage), and who is working on a new edition of that game, and is trying to get a publisher for a board version of that game, I have found that most kaiju games tend to fall into one of two main types.

#1 Monster vs Monster

#2 Monster vs Defender (usually a military force or mechs)

Of course there are minor variations of those two types, but many of the games will seem similar, with the mechanics being the main thing that sets them apart from each other.

For me personally, the best kaiju games incorporate both types of games into one. That is how I approached the design of my miniature game and my board game.

I am not trying to discourage you from making your game, just trying to point out that kaiju games in general tend to have a narrow scope and will seem derivative of other kaiju games no matter what you do.

EDIT: I also want to mention that the better your game's mechanics simulate a kaiju attack, the more likely it will seem derivative, the more abstract your game is, the more likely it will seem unique (depending on the mechanics) but the theme on such games tends to have the impression of being tacked on.

Just design a game that you think is fun, and don't worry about if it seems derivative or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cooperative destruction game sounds fresh to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ryan
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Awesome ideas. I'd be interested in a game where players play as Giant Monsters who are actually working to defend the city from an even greater threat (perhaps like Pacific Rim except all monsters, just some good and some evil).

Perhaps one player could control the larger, greater threat and then have an AI deck that commands city defenses that might help or hinder your fight against the much larger threat. Or both the greater threat and the city defenses could be controlled by an AI deck. Players could win by preventing damage to the city, minimizing human casualties, or defeating the greater threat.

I'd be interested in playing (or even helping to design) a game like that. Always been a fan of the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.