Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pickering
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Mage Knight was the first game I ever made a foamcore insert for. I've made several since for other games and decided to use that experience to make a new insert for Mage Knight after I finally got my Tezla replacement kit and Krang within days of each other. So, here it is:

I initially drew up the plans in Sketchup (the free version) which I hadn't tried with an insert before. What I ended up with was somewhat different than what I had drawn out, but it saved a lot of time and helped with a lot of measurements. It was also a lot of fun.

Here's the finished product. Of course, the top layer is just all the manuals and some handy reference materials from the MK file section, contained in a large ziplock bag.

Under the manuals and from left to right you have the token tray, the seven knight boxes, the mana tray, the specialty expansion tokens (the tezla avatars are under the Volkare token), and the card box.

Under the token tray are all the knight figures and the Volkare figure. Under the mana and expansion trays are the stack of land tiles and the city figures.

Here's a closeup of the token tray. All of the Tezla tokens are in the back and are lined up with their corresponding faction rewards, so they're pretty easy to tell apart.

And finally the knight boxes, probably my favorite feature. Here's three of the boxes. One closed, one open showing the player cards, and one with the cards removed to show all of the skill tokens, level tokens, and shields.

The box doesn't quite shut all the way by about a quarter inch. You may also notice that I don't sleeve my cards. That's mostly a personal choice since I'm the only one that plays this game and I trust myself to take care of it. It also saves quite a bit of space on the knight boxes and the card box. I pull out the token tray, mana tray, card box, and chosen knight box to play, and everything else when needed. On cleanup, I reshuffle everything in the card box and token tray as I put it away so it's ready to go for the next game.

I've really enjoyed playing with this setup. Thanks to those of you have posted your inserts before, since a lot of the ideas in this project were inspired by yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you upload the Sketchup files somewhere and share them please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
And btw, really cool insert, congrats... I once try to make one for MK and finally got defeated by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wendling
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. There's an art to making something not only functional, but looking so slick like you did. I would only personally add something to the figurines to keep them in place, but other than that this is probably one of the best designs I've seen. I especially like the character boxes: it's just a great presentation.

I would also be really interested in the sketchup files, if you're willing to share your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pickering
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the kinds words. I probably will put some dividers in for the figures, but the felt I put in the bottom currently does a good job of keeping them from moving around.

I will try to fix up the Sketchup file soon so that it's more user friendly and more accurately depicts the finished product and then I will post that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
Perry
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Somebody please get this up on thingaverse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pickering
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Here's a dropbox link for those of you that wanted to play around with the SketchUp file.

Mage Knight Insert SketchUp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max M.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome job! I am tempted to make my second attempt too!

Just one question, how thick is the foamcore you used?

Is it 5 millimeters or 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pickering
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
It's 3/16" thick, which is closer to 5 millimeters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.